my cochlear implant horror story

hello! i was abducted by aliens last night and they implanted a cochlear in my head. i am excited to read your site! laurie cruickshank 714-200-6928
Laurie, I followed everything about alien implants, Whitley Streiber, etc.

Soooo, what is stopping hearing from being fully restored, to normal or better hearing?
I suspect greed, say as in money!
To all, stay safe and have a pleasant day.
Tony, there is an electronic transmitter device that broadcasts sound directly to the hearing center of the brain. It's proven that the deaf can hear with it. It's not known by the medical mainstream. I learned about all kinds of alternative technology more than 10 year ago

I have had my CI for less than a year (So far, So good). The issue we forget is us! The Human body is probably the most complex machine that ever existed, designed by millions of years of evolution. While a CI only has a few decades of Engineering under it's belt. As much as we understand about our bodies, there is still much we don't!

Stephaniep, there's a hearing aide that helps with tinnitus. I think it's called AGX, and it must be adjusted by the audiologist a number of times.

The electronic device, that allows the deaf to hear, is called the Neurophone, invented by Patrick Flanagan. It doesn't broadcast, it sends the impulses to the skin, which then go to the hearing centers in the brain.

I really would like to see these ent's, surgeons, audiologist, doctors etc. be held accountable for the damage they do when they get it wrong...yes, yes, I've heard all the excuses, as to what the risks are ,sorry, not acceptable.
The above mentioned people are supposedly professionals, hence a professional out come is expected and required, god only knows they get paid way way too much for their egos!
We can put 12 men on the moon, shrink billions of transistors down to fit on a finger nail sized wafer, split the atom, and, so the list goes on.
Soooo, what is stopping hearing from being fully restored, to normal or better hearing?
I suspect greed, say as in money!
To all, stay safe and have a pleasant day.
I was implanted 2019 for single sided deafness. After 1 1/2 yrs I am at 43% hearing but no word recognition. Can't wear it in crowds or when I have a 1-1conversation or watching TV. I can't stand the static noise, the tinnitus has gotten worse, I lost my sense of taste from the surgery and my face is still numb. I have had numerous mappings and an integrity test to check the implant. If anything it has made things worse. I'm told it will get better! There is also the fact that I was never told about what a patient needs to do to get the most benefit.I found out post implant that you need to do auditory rehab, alot of exercises on line, plus utilize all the accessories they give you for I phones, live stream TV and radio, microphones to have the person your talking to use.I do not own an Iphone or Ipad I thought all I had to do was wear it and my brain would get used to it. NOT SO. I am not tech savvy and had I known BEFORE I would not have done this. All I went to the Dr was for something to equalize sound to tell where sound was coming from. He thought this was a better option.Not even the audiologist went over what was really involved. All I read is how this changed a persons life starting after activation. It has produced more anxiety than I had after I suddenly went deaf. I very rarely go out by myself. This last month I have decided not to wear the processor. The only time I wear it is when I am alone, no TV on or radio or other people in the house.I wish more people would post about their issues. All I read is how wonderful it is. Also once your visits that were allowed by ins. co. post implant have been used up you get "see you in 1yr." Never hear from the Dr post surgery except the post op visit. You also get "see you in 1yr."These Drs feel that since it has been approved for singled sided deafness that is the best option for treating this type of deafness. There needs to be a better evaluation of a candidate before this is considered. To be fair I was told do not have high expectations but the Dr was confident that would improve my quality of life. I did not go into this expecting a miracle. All I wanted was something to equalize sound in crowds and while driving. There are better options out there but it is too late for me now.

Hello: 30 years ago (at age 40), I received my cochlear ear implant after the nerve hairs in both ears died. I believe I've only had 3 different processors in those 30 years ... mainly because as technology improved, my OLD implant wasn't compatible. Recently, I experienced horribly loud explosions when I tried wear my processor so the doctor decided to operate and replace my implant. I've gone without any hearing for the last 2 months until yesterday when they turned it on. I was excited thinking I'd hear so much better, but so far all I'm getting is background noise but can barely make out voices. I hear what sounds like a belt buckle in the dryer and popcorn popping in the microwave ... but voices (even my own) are barely audible. I'm supposed to wear this new processor consistently for a week and then go in for another programming session, but I desperately want to take it off. I guess my main questions are:
1) has anyone experienced this sudden unbearable exploding sound necessitating immediate ?
2) what adjustments need to be made to this new processor to improve the sound?

I'd appreciate any help/suggestions you have to offer. TY
I received my implant for single sided deafness 1 1/2yrs ago. I still have no word recognition. It always sounds like a radio in-between stations.I have had numerous mappings with no benefit as evidenced by my hearing tests. I am tired of reading about all the others who had a significant outcome after the first month of activation and it continues. I know alot of my failure was related to the fact that I did not do the auditory rehab or use all the streaming devices cochlear supplies.I did not know that this was necessary I thought all I had to do is wear it every day and I did 12-14 hrs/day.I am not tech savvy, don't own a cell phone or an I pad. No nothing about apps and pairing things with your processor.My education prior to surgery as what I needed to do to gain the most benefit was none. No one evaluates a pt. for these things It was very overwhelming from day 1. I am left now with loss of taste, numbness of the ear, popping sounds, and increase of tinnitus and a constant tinny sound. I cannot have a 1-1 conversation with anyone because the tinny sound competes with my good ear making it impossible to understand a conversation. Crowds are even worse.I can't tell where sound is coming from(1 of my original issues)Alot of noise overstimulates the implant and I feel physically sick with headaches and balances issues. All I'm told is that everyone advances at their own speed and not everyone benefits from a CI.In other words I have to deal with it.There are things I should have known BEFORE surgery and I know I would not have done it. I have the Nucleus 7 new model. As I said I had numerous mappings to improve the sound but nothing has worked. . I am glad you had 30 good yrs using the implants We seem to be the same age.You may have to start doing auditory rehab Hope it works out

I am chiming in because I have had relief from severe Tinnitus. I am a hearing person, female age 54. I experienced extreme Tinnitus after age 40. This wasn't the average ringings, it was more of a Fax machine sound or like the old internet dial up amplified so much that it consumed all other sound. I loathed going to sleep, and was told that there was nothing to be done. I started taking Magnesium to help me sleep, it is a natural relaxer produced by our bodies. I then found Magnesium in a super powder form and took that each night to help put me to sleep. After 3 years, my Tinnitus faded! I can't say if it was the Magnesium, but it is the only thing I changed in my lifestyle as far as intake substances. I want to share because it gave me relief and I wish relief and rest for all of you.

Back