My CI surgery got moved closer!

Everyone is going to vary in their recovery and progress but I'm 2 weeks post-activation and I can follow along with radio announcers probably 70% of the time. I would get maybe 20% of what they were saying with my HA pre-surgery. I don't know that I could have a full conversation but I can hear and understand people behind me in quiet situations--at home for example. Noisy situations are still very challenging...but better with the CI then I ever had with HA's. I was in the 30% range for speech recognition pre-surgery.

I think my family felt that as soon as they turned on my CI's I would be back to normal too. They really just don't understand how difficult it is not hearing well.....I have a few friends that thought the same but I explained the process to them and they get it.

My left hear with a HA is at about 30% and my right side that will have the CI has about 15-10... So I'm close to where you are.

Do they make some sort of headphone for a hearing person to listen in on the CI to see what it sounds like? I thought they made something like that for children so parents could hear what they hear to check in on them.....

WHAT! NO. I washed my hair the 2nd or 3rd day after my operation. I had it done in 2004 so... maybe your friend had it done WAY... WAYYYYY... before that.

Good luck ChristineNeely on getting a CI in Sept. Not far off now. Getting excited?

My best friend have a CI and told me everything about it. She have told me a tip for anyone who are getting an implant. Give your hair a good wash before going in for surgery because once in, you are not allow to watch your hair for 15 days so they say. She was horrified as she normally washes her hair every 2 days! She couldn't stand not washing her hair that long. Her doctor told her to use a glass with some blue tac on the edge to put over your ear and make sure there is no water leaking in. Get someone to wash your hair carefully. She got her daughter to wash her hair over a kitchen sink while she hold a glass over her ear. After 15 days has pass, she felt so much better washing her own hair. :lol:

Do they make some sort of headphone for a hearing person to listen in on the CI to see what it sounds like? I thought they made something like that for children so parents could hear what they hear to check in on them.....

No idea about other companies, but Cochlear has something called "monitor earphones" which you plug into the processor and the hearing person can hear how your processor provides sound. It is used mainly for checking if everything is okay, not for laughing at the quality of sound :D
But it isn't the same as you hear it. Because the main job is done by brain and everyone has different brain, hearing history etc. :) They hear a bit distorted sound, but they can understand it pretty well. I tried it once with my dad and he told me it sounded like when using an old phone, with limited high and low frequencies, but it was understandable.

And there are also some "CI simulators" on the web, just try to google it.

WHAT! NO. I washed my hair the 2nd or 3rd day after my operation. I had it done in 2004 so... maybe your friend had it done WAY... WAYYYYY... before that.

I read previously that it was a long time also before you can wash your hair... I don't plan on leaving the house for a good 14 days or so anyway!

No idea about other companies, but Cochlear has something called "monitor earphones" which you plug into the processor and the hearing person can hear how your processor provides sound. It is used mainly for checking if everything is okay, not for laughing at the quality of sound :D
But it isn't the same as you hear it. Because the main job is done by brain and everyone has different brain, hearing history etc. :) They hear a bit distorted sound, but they can understand it pretty well. I tried it once with my dad and he told me it sounded like when using an old phone, with limited high and low frequencies, but it was understandable.

And there are also some "CI simulators" on the web, just try to google it.

I found the links on the web but of course I'll never be able to confirm it or deny it being the same. My expectation is that it's much like learning a new language...

Nope! My friend had it done last year. My other friend who have 2 CI have said the same thing too.

I washed my hair on day 4. If you are really concerned you can try those "dry" shampoos.

the hair washing will be different for everyone. Depends on if there are stitches, glue, etc... that surgeon used to close the incision with, and that sort of thing. I was able to wash my hair by 3rd or 4th day, as long as I kept my ear and incision covered up (I had the actual stitches which were removed 2 weeks post-op, and after the stitches were removed, I didn't have to cover the incision up anymore). Each surgeon will have his/her own post-surgery instructions for their patients to follow.

I washed my hair on day 4. If you are really concerned you can try those "dry" shampoos.

That has so much of a "cloud" to them when you spray your head I would think that it would put it's materials into your stitches... like hairspray, which you don't spray near your hearing aids... When I use my dry shampoo I remove my hearing aid if it's already in as well.

I think I'll just test to see how much everyone really loves me while they care for me that week or two and see if they love me all the more when I stink. hahahahaha jk - baby wipes it is for me!

I read previously that it was a long time also before you can wash your hair... I don't plan on leaving the house for a good 14 days or so anyway!

I was able to wash my hair 48 hours after surgery with a cup over my incision so I didn't have water running over it. I wore a shower cap in the shower and then washed my hair in the sink when I was done. Worked great and my steri-strips stayed on for 3 weeks doing that--Dr. took them off right before activation. There is zero need to wait 2 weeks to shower or wash your hair.

Back