Mute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know about "that population"?
Do you mean people who are reaching out for support?
If that is the case you don't know much about that population.
If you don't have a background in medicine, don't pretend to know about the various causes of aphasia.

If you can demonstrate a thorough knowledge of neuro anatomy and neuropathology, then you can maybe discuss this stuff.
I'm not saying I'm an expert but I definitely have more qualifications than "I know someone who has aphasia".

ecp, talk about the pot calling the kettle black. You're simply trying to grasp at straws to "prove" I'm a "bully"
I know quite a bit about the nonverbal but still mentally normal population. This is a very very low incidence population. Many people with my syndrome actually have severe speech failure. (meaning their speech fails to develop normally, not that they're oral failures) Like the type where kids may use ASL or Dynavox communication devices. Not to mention that one of my close friends is an advocate for this population, as her daughter has severe speech failure. She started an organization to give kids in this population an augmentive and alternative communication device. Most of the kids she serves are the typical "has apraxia/autism/severe mental disability" Most of them have additional issues. It's very rare overall to just have spoken language exclusively as an issue. What he said does not match up with the experiences that people with spoken language issues (and no hearing loss) that I know have. If he had done his research and had posted about say "I have spoken language issues (instead of using a very archaic term) and had said " I have this or that due to this or that." I would have GLADLY GLADLY contribuated information and resources....There are a couple of Deaf Schools that strongly support this population (St. Mary's...some of the kids there use dynavoxes, St. Rita's (has the apraxia program for hearing kids with severe speech issues) and Beverely School for the Deaf/Children's Center for Communication.

BTW, if I was a real bully I could have bullied that mother that some people thought wanted a deaf child, I could have bullied that girl who was looking for a single deaf guy.
This isn't bullying. It is extreme FRUSTRATION at fakers. We welcome you, if you're REALLY deaf or hearing or HOH, or even in the rare case of using ASL for AAC......
But a lot of us are extremely sick of people playing games for whatever reason.

AND it also seems like if this was CLEARLY a faker the people attacking us would be screaming we're discriminating against fakers.
If this person wasn't a faker, there wouldn't be a million holes in his story.

You seem so sure but I have to ask: How do you know?

Silent: No, I know people want to know. Sharing that with a community I'm new to takes a lot of preperation on my part. I wanted to know if the effort might actually get me some acceptance. It looks like it may.
I'm sorry if I came off as fake. I'm promise I'm not. Give me time, I'll share.

Looks like you've met at least two bullies on the forum....sorry for that, hope you continue to stay because we're not all like this....

Best,

Laura

You seem so sure but I have to ask: How do you know?

Because again, if he wasn't a faker there wouldn't be a billion weird holes in his story. Do you guys honestly enjoy being the target of fakers? Nigerian scammers must LOVE you!

Because again, if he wasn't a faker there wouldn't be a billion weird holes in his story. Do you guys honestly enjoy being the target of fakers? Nigerian scammers must LOVE you!

This isn't a Nigerian scam post. Why so defensive about this?

Wirelessly posted

deafdyke said:
So, since you know some things about apraxia and have an apraxic friend, you can ridicule other people?

Maybe the OP is not from the United States or Canada (as I pointed out before) and maybe didn't have access to educational resources.

Or maybe the OP had a stroke causing Broca's aphasia (expressive aphasia) which can be devastating for the sufferer (I've had patients who become severely depressed because they know what they want to say but just can't say it).

Imagine if everybody questioned your history as stringently as you questioned the poster's history.
No. It's just pretty freaking obvious that he's fake, and was trying to pull a Sunny on us. If he was from a country with bad educational resources, he wouldn't even be able to write a coherent sentence, as he would never have been to school. And I seriously doubt that he had Broca's aphasia, not only b/c that is rare for children , but again he would have been sent to learn ASL, since Signing uses a different part of the brain, then does speech.

And yet we have several deaf people in the US that has not been exposed to ASL. Does that mean they are faking their deafness? No one really knows if the OP is honest or not. But it is not ones place to Dx a person online.

Can we put an end to the disagreements unless there are more posts from anonymousandvoiceless? I don't think it's worth getting worked up over a very new member who has little impact from their posts.

He/She hasn't posted back and there isn't really much to go by.

yes, please end this post. it has become a playground for cold hearted bullies and others who are trying to pick for fights. i would love to see it end!!

Don't pry. My past is very dark, I don't share it. Don't take it personally....
Then you must not take it personally when someone from the deaf community asks you personal questions. That "prying" is part of deaf culture, especially to ask about your background. That is how members of the community make their connections and develop relationships. One topic in particular for hearing people will be, "How, where, and why did you learn ASL?" Since you mention that you can't speak as your reason for learning ASL, that will naturally lead to more questions. Expect it. That doesn't mean you have to answer but if you don't want to answer at least don't act offended. Just calmly explain that the reason is too painful to discuss but don't accuse the questioner of being nosey or prying.

The people who repeatedly called the OP a "faker" have suddenly stopped posting but now other "old guard" people have come to their rescue.
Yet nobody seems to be actually considering that maybe the OP is NOT from the United States. There are other countries. There are Deaf people (and people with aphasia or apraxia) in every country on this planet.
To assume that they all have access to the same resources is absurd.
And certianly, calling people fakers is just plain mean.

I want to prose a few rules for AllDeaf and life in general:
1. Think before you speak/sign/type- the people you are interacting with are just as human and vulnerable as you are
2. Don't assume that your expierence is the same as everybody's expierence. There are many ways to be D/deaf.
3. Don't criticize other people's choices. It is their life, let them live it.
4. If someone asks for help, don't reject them. You really don't know where they are coming from.
5. Treat people the way you wish to be treated.

Nobody has come to anyone's rescue. If the mods feel the post should be buried then I am all for it. This is a moot issue. We've had these conversation often and we do not need it to divide this forum.

We do not own the site. If the mods feel a thread should be closed, so be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back