Mute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
and I see a lot of the Usual Suspects had a hunch that something was up.
Your first mistake was using the term mute. Then insistutiaing that it was due to a deep tragic past. You also said that you had never spoken.....that's kind of a paradox......I've heard of selective mutism, but that's when people start talking, and then stop talking due to a tramatic event.
I think you're a character in a soap opera. Which one are you? Dylan or Luke?

Naw---- his name is Korihor. He became mute as a punishment for challenging people on the abuse of religion. :giggle:

I'm not saying it was caused by my past. I'm saying my past being tragic is why I don't share my past. I dont think about being a child, going to school, all those things people want me to wander through. I leave them out of my mind.

Actually, selective mutism would be the inability to speak in anxiety ridden situations, such as school or work. A selective mute may speak perfectly fine at home, or with close friends.

For me,
Home, friends, alone in the shower by myself, no sound. I can make a minute amount, nothing I can actually use for anything.
It is not selective.

If you guys think he's faking then so be it. If he IS a fake, then all he wants is attention, and you're giving it to him by responding.

As for you Anonymous: I don't think you really expected to show up to a forum and claim that you were mute without figuring that people would ask HOW you became that way. If you are not willing to share, you probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place. It's hard to believe that you had a tragic past and you're a mute, but yet the two aren't related? I think there are plenty of deaf people that would accept you the way you are, but don't assume people won't want to know how you became the way you are.

If you guys think he's faking then so be it. If he IS a fake, then all he wants is attention, and you're giving it to him by responding.

As for you Anonymous: I don't think you really expected to show up to a forum and claim that you were mute without figuring that people would ask HOW you became that way. If you are not willing to share, you probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place. It's hard to believe that you had a tragic past and you're a mute, but yet the two aren't related? I think there are plenty of deaf people that would accept you the way you are, but don't assume people won't want to know how you became the way you are.

We're just trying to flex some muscle here..............LOL

Silent: No, I know people want to know. Sharing that with a community I'm new to takes a lot of preperation on my part. I wanted to know if the effort might actually get me some acceptance. It looks like it may.
I'm sorry if I came off as fake. I'm promise I'm not. Give me time, I'll share.

Silent: No, I know people want to know. Sharing that with a community I'm new to takes a lot of preperation on my part. I wanted to know if the effort might actually get me some acceptance. It looks like it may.
I'm sorry if I came off as fake. I'm promise I'm not. Give me time, I'll share.

Ok. No hurry.

I have a question to ask...
If someone can hear, clearly, but can't speak and communicates with ASL,
Would it be possible for him or her to be accepted in to Deaf culture?
Is it rude to even ask that?

Sure. Why not. Once you pick up ASL to interact with Deaf people, with your awesome attitude. Yeppers.

Do you people not remember being bullied as kids.
Those kids were part of the "in" group and seemed to have some secret knowledge that you lacked?
Do you realize that you are now the bullies?
You are sitting behind your computers as full grown adults (who were likely bullied to the point of tears for decades) but you are accusing someone of being a "faker".

Your words have power, why not use them to welcome instead of ostracize?
Not everybody on this site has English as a first language (which one would think you would understand seeing as this is freaking AllDeaf and ASL, BSL, LSQ etc are the first languages of Deaf people and thus often written English (or French or whatever) is not perfect).
Would it kill you to extend the benefit of the doubt to people who might be reaching out to the only resource they can find?

It might be surprising for you to know that not every country has a thriving Deaf culture and that maybe someone might be connecting from an Internet cafe in Dakah or Khartoum, desperate to find someone who is sympathetic and understands their situation.
And maybe if the OP has apraxia, they are nowhere near Sr. Rita's.

But instead they find you.
You accuse them of being fake.

I'm not saying that is the case here but what if it is?

You choose to respond with attacks and questioning. It takes a lot to reach out.
Or can you not remember trying to find someplace where you felt welcomed?
If that place is AllDeaf, why do you feel the need to make it a hostile place for others?

Not that this will change a fucking thing.

ecp, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his story does not check out. I know a lot about apraxia/spoken language issues and if he is high functioning enough to just have spoken language issues, (as opposed to spoken language delays as a result of mental disabilities, like MR or autism) he would have already been pointed to ASL/Sign as a communication tool. Hearing kids who have apraxia (and no other disabilities) pretty much are encouraged to Sign. It was seen when I was a kid. I have friends from college who had a hearing friend with CP (cerebal palsy) who used ASL as a first language, b/c she couldn't speak.

ecp, I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt, but his story does not check out. I know a lot about apraxia/spoken language issues and if he is high functioning enough to just have spoken language issues, (as opposed to spoken language delays as a result of mental disabilities, like MR or autism) he would have already been pointed to ASL/Sign as a communication tool. Hearing kids who have apraxia (and no other disabilities) pretty much are encouraged to Sign. It was seen when I was a kid. I have friends from college who had a hearing friend with CP (cerebal palsy) who used ASL as a first language, b/c she couldn't speak.

So, since you know some things about apraxia and have an apraxic friend, you can ridicule other people?

Maybe the OP is not from the United States or Canada (as I pointed out before) and maybe didn't have access to educational resources.

Or maybe the OP had a stroke causing Broca's aphasia (expressive aphasia) which can be devastating for the sufferer (I've had patients who become severely depressed because they know what they want to say but just can't say it).

Imagine if everybody questioned your history as stringently as you questioned the poster's history.

So, since you know some things about apraxia and have an apraxic friend, you can ridicule other people?

Maybe the OP is not from the United States or Canada (as I pointed out before) and maybe didn't have access to educational resources.

Or maybe the OP had a stroke causing Broca's aphasia (expressive aphasia) which can be devastating for the sufferer (I've had patients who become severely depressed because they know what they want to say but just can't say it).

Imagine if everybody questioned your history as stringently as you questioned the poster's history.
No. It's just pretty freaking obvious that he's fake, and was trying to pull a Sunny on us. If he was from a country with bad educational resources, he wouldn't even be able to write a coherent sentence, as he would never have been to school. And I seriously doubt that he had Broca's aphasia, not only b/c that is rare for children , but again he would have been sent to learn ASL, since Signing uses a different part of the brain, then does speech.

I know I will get tons of shit for this but some Deaf posters can't write coherent sentences and they have had access to the wonderful (aka terrible) education systems of the developed world.

But we know that ability in written English is often related to English being a second language for deaf individuals...unless (by your reasoning) they are from another country.

Also, expressive aphasia can affect people of any age. Children with sickle cell anemia have strokes as early as a year of age.
And if a person used sign language before having an injury to Broca's area, they would STILL have expressive aphasia. The pathways of visual language and spoken language both go through Broca's area. (If you disagree then you are basically arguing that sign language isn't equivalent to spoken language and that would be unfortunate)
Hypercoaguability happens to all age groups.
Don't argue medicine.

I'm just begging you to reconsider how you treat other people.

forget it #deafdyke . ecp and mute must be bff and see eye to eye. perhaps even mute is over ecp's house using the computer. no one can reason with people like them. leave them alone. they comfort one another right nicely.

forget it #deafdyke . ecp and mute must be bff and see eye to eye. perhaps even mute is over ecp's house using the computer. no one can reason with people like them. leave them alone. they comfort one another right nicely.

You are so right.

I'm a weird person for not condoning bullying.

Really clever response though.
No one can reason with people who bully strangers. That is messed up.

I have to agree with ECP. Some of the things being said on AD lately makes me sometimes not want to be apart of this forum. I get it, some Deaf people don't want to share their community or trust people. But some of the members here need to give a poster the benefit of the doubt. Not everyone can open up to a bunch of people they can't see on the internet. And ya you can't see the OP but you can't 100 percent for sure say she isn't "mute" either. And yes maybe "mute" isn't the right term but not everyone knows that or cares. I know many deaf people who have no problem with the term hearing impaired because that's what the medical term for deafness or hoh is.

Do you all remember the video of that girl who committed suicide because of bullying. You don't know everyones situation and until you can 100 percent prove that this person is lying I don't think certain things should be said.

mute is not a she...mute is a he. personally, i do not feel any body has bullied mute. i do not make any apologies for my post on "mute" thread. i have a right to my opinion on this post. my opinion is he is a fake and anybody posting comments should read ALL the post on this thread. not just the last few your friend posted.

I actually have read ALL the posts, but thanks so much for informing me I should do so. And who cares if it's a he or she no one should be told they're a fake unless it's 100 percent proven. You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back