Mute and learning ASL

But still it would be nice if DD would ever tell us the source for the pronouncements she makes about different conditions etc. I often wonder why we should consider her an authority on the things she declares as facts.
That's a good point. I know her outside Alldeaf, so I know where that information was coming from, but it's true it's probably confusing to new people who don't know where she's coming from.

Everyone does have a story, and as you get to know us, you will find most of us have dramatic ones. The poster who upsets you has a syndrome where most of the people who have it are lo functioning non verbal, so she has seen a lot.

I have one grandchild who has apraxia, which is common in deaf families, and she is delayed. DDvdidnt mean anything demeaning, she was just telling you a fact.

I understand a bit better. I did add that I had definitely overreacted about her comment. You're very right that everyone has a different and possibly dramatic story. Mine is that I was attacked by a homeless man whom I was attempting to help and was left mute do to my injuries. I'm very lucky to be alive and to be able to communicate at all. Thank you for helping to put things into perspective.

--Soul

But still it would be nice if DD would ever tell us the source for the pronouncements she makes about different conditions etc. I often wonder why we should consider her an authority on the things she declares as facts.

It definitely would be nice to have some kind of statistics that we could see to back up her supposed authority on the matter. Circumstantial evidence is difficult to stand by. However, I no longer feel upset about her post, I understand that we are all different, and I hope that our differences can bring us closer together as a community :)

--Soul

That's a good point. I know her outside Alldeaf, so I know where that information was coming from, but it's true it's probably confusing to new people who don't know where she's coming from.

I have been around for awhile now but still get annoyed with her and the way she tries to come though as an authority on a number of different things like schools, etc. But she never seems willing to tell why we should regard her as an authority on different things. Like she will talk about the quality of different schools always without mention of where she learned about that.

I have been around for awhile now but still get annoyed with her and the way she tries to come though as an authority on a number of different things like schools, etc. But she never seems willing to tell why we should regard her as an authority on different things. Like she will talk about the quality of different schools always without mention of where she learned about that.
That's extremely odd. I'll take what she says with a grain of salt.

--Soul

Truth of the matter is anything you read online you should question or "take under advisement with a grain of salt"...there are some people I don't necessarily believe what they say(not just here either) but in my experience over the last 21+ years online 90% of what I've seen in forums (of varied topics) are telling the truth of who they are and how they come across.

DD isn't obligated to tell you how she knows her information or why she has the perspective she does just as you have the 'right' to question everything.

and to that... if one is that annoyed at people and can't stand to be annoyed there's always the ignore list. Me- while some people are annoying it's not something that will drive me to putting them on ignore (yet).

Truth of the matter is anything you read online you should question or "take under advisement with a grain of salt"...there are some people I don't necessarily believe what they say(not just here either) but in my experience over the last 21+ years online 90% of what I've seen in forums (of varied topics) are telling the truth of who they are and how they come across.

DD isn't obligated to tell you how she knows her information or why she has the perspective she does just as you have the 'right' to question everything.

and to that... if one is that annoyed at people and can't stand to be annoyed there's always the ignore list. Me- while some people are annoying it's not something that will drive me to putting them on ignore (yet).
Yes!

Ugh.. I kinda went a little nuts on you there. I see what you're trying to say, you just said it in a way that was inflammatory. When I was researching this condition I found that it is mostly seen as a child's illness. While there are mute adults because of acute or long-standing stress disorders, accidents (in my case), or botched medical procedures, there really *aren't* a lot of us. It's a bit frustrating to feel so alone.

--Soul
I didn't mean to come across as inflammatory. I was simply stating a fact. Most of the time when you see the word "nonverbal" it doesn't mean pure nonverbal, but rather as an euphanism for people who are on a low level of functioning (ie they're on the level of a baby) That's why I use the term nonspeaking for people who have pure expressive spoken language issues, and would have been classified as mute in the old days. And yes, it is a rare condition. So rare that the term mute hasn't really changed to an everyday term.

I didn't mean to come across as inflammatory. I was simply stating a fact. Most of the time when you see the word "nonverbal" it doesn't mean pure nonverbal, but rather as an euphanism for people who are on a low level of functioning (ie they're on the level of a baby) That's why I use the term nonspeaking for people who have pure expressive spoken language issues, and would have been classified as mute in the old days. And yes, it is a rare condition. So rare that the term mute hasn't really changed to an everyday term.
I see what you mean. Thanks for clarifying :ty:
I'm honestly glad that it's so rare that it's not an everyday term. It's a very frustrating situation that I wouldn't wish on anyone. At least there's a sign for 'mute', though. So that's some progress :)

--Soul

Hi there :)

Amongst other things I am autistic and have a muscle condition. I can talk but sometimes it is very difficult. I didn't speak at all until age 6 and have had a ton of speech therapy. I use a device called a Lightwriter (which goes everywhere with me). I think they are quite expensive but I was able to source a government grant which my speech pathologist applied for on my behalf. It is a good piece of equipment even if old technology and I have a sim card in it for phone calls and texts. Unfortunately the sim card will not work after December 1st because there will be no 2g network here :( but it will still be very useful regardless.

Here is a link about it http://www.zyteq.com.au/products/communication_systems/lightwriter_sl40

Soulvei, I am hearing-able and MUTE since 2015; I rely on ASL, but have been usually​

I am denied access to Interpreters because I am not deaf. It's been 6 years of self-advocacy to receive access to communication. ASL is an official language here in Canada now so it would be nice if that language was more visible and used by more people, regardless of disability or ability.​

Well that's... really demeaning. Geez, dude, you might as well call me 'dumb', the old word for 'mute'. I am a highly functioning adult who is active in her community, owns a very successful hedgehog breeding business, owns several houses that I rent to others in a market where the average home is valued at $700k (I'm located in SoCal and in a beach community), I read at least 4 novels each month (that is not counting the graphic novels I read because, while they are now considered a respectable form of literature, they take only an hour or two to plow through), I started kidergarten when I was four years old because I was intelligent enough to skip a year of pre-school, I fought against over 2k other girls for my place in 200 admission slots at a prestigious all-girls catholic school and entered with honors... blah blah blah. I'm also a three time college drop out, I hire someone to clean my house because I hate doing it, I have a book-buying addiction (I hit up Barnes and Nobel once a week-- it's pretty bad lol), and I used to steal things because I was mad at the world for my 'disability'. Nobody is perfect. Everyone has a story. Think about that before posting "facts".

--Soulvei, a high functioning mute adult
Get it, girl! What a litany of accomplishments! I'm a bookworm, too. Well done speaking up for yourself. Welcome :)

After careful thought, the word Mute when combined with the word Deaf, Deafmutes is fairly straight forward. Up until about the 60's deaf mutes did not possess much in the way of anything. Never mind language through sign etc.

If someone is mute through whatever cause deaf or not deaf, but communicates through sign language or computer device or hand writing etc is still communicating. To make illegal or deny a equal language assitance such as a interperter etc to that person is (Due to hearing?) is the same as silencing that mute person because no one hearing that is present would understand the hand signs. (Which is why we need a interperter. We have done many one way only interpreting which is really helpful) Canada would be pretty obtuse to have banned that. ASL is a living language like say English or German or Russian etc.

In Chinese things get interesting. If you were to read Chinese on the word Gossip, you will get the concept in a roundabout manner as three women talking. And bingo its referring to the western idea "Gossip"

As far as grain of salt, that sometimes require some thinking. And even critical thinking which is not to criticize but rather to have the ability to take something like "Is a apple good for Eve to take a bite on?" a simple question. But loaded with a variety of dos and donts that needs to be carefully weighed and thought through.

Finally but not least, to be deaf, possessing a language, education etc and be mute is not a handicap. In fact some of the staffers back in Columbia when we were children being told to learn to speak and sign at the same time (Doctrine of Total Communication in those days) which led to revealing that some people and children do not possess a voice that should be heard. If hearing heard those they would be seen as freaks, or monsters or whatever horrible due to the sound. So its better that they are mute. For a few however they had complexes about that growing up.

One thing I do remember from those days is when you have several hundred deaf in a place like a ball game or event or dorm etc. All of the individuals present were instantly identifiable by name according to their voices, if any. There were some who were mute. But their feet on the floor or the various habits they had made them identifiable as well.

In the hearing world say in a truckstop, its impossible. all of the people sound the same. Unless one is say... in Jersey where water comes out as WADDER. We have some fun then.

Hi! I've been all over the internet looking for a place where I can connect with other adults who cannot speak. Since there isn't much of a community for mute adults I thought I'd try a deaf forum since we seem to run into similar situations and difficulties.

Is anyone else here mute? I was in an accident that left me unable to speak but I can still use my vocal chords to make noises to express feelings by humming in different tones. I whistle to get people's attention which, until they find out that I cannot speak, sometimes annoys people. I also whistle to control my dogs, one of whom is specially trained to respond to different kinds of whistles for different actions that I need her to perform.

I've also read that a portion of the deaf community does not like mutes because they believe that we are misrepresenting the deaf. I can't understand why this would be an issue but, if you are "against" mutes, please do not contact me about how I *should* be able to speak. I just simply cannot change what has happened.

I look forward to joining in conversations and making new friends :)

--Soul
mute: everyone has a different language acquisition , lip readers only get 30% of lippattens right leaving 80% wrong. You have no-vocal language but are able to some express sounds & this must be frustrating for you. But you are right most deaf people do use sign language to communicate with.But PLEASE REMEMBER THAT most deaf people do not use the word mute. Those that do not like people who can hear are not worth knowing. You are a valid person who wants to communicate & you will find that someone who will be patient. However it may be better for you to join a sign lang-group? they may be hearing but you will start off on an equal footing, learning signs that will take you towards more like minded deaf people as you dev-better communication skills. That will enable you to communicate with the deaf as a wider range of sign language & not spoken. Plus d/Deaf people will not worry about you being hearing, esp when you converse with them. Just remember you are not mute but unable to talk...mute is silent. You can use some sounds....& whistle....anyone that choices not to understand you will be missing out on getting to know someone nice. BE CONFIDENT. Good luck & bye....

Hi! Just found this site, & your post was one of the first two I read! I am also Mute. Been 3 yrs. My vocal cords fused together. No explanation, no reason. I have been using sign since it started. I'm in Mass. You're not alone in this walk. I admin a group on FB for those of us who have Aphonia.

Hi! Just found this site, & your post was one of the first two I read! I am also Mute. Been 3 yrs. My vocal cords fused together. No explanation, no reason. I have been using sign since it started. I'm in Mass. You're not alone in this walk. I admin a group on FB for those of us who have Aphonia.
Obviously your breathing is not affected. However fused? That implies the two flaps we use in that box to pass air through the cords are shut. Without that you cannot get air and are dead unless the chinese windgate (Trach area between collarbones) is cut through.

I am curious about that fusing. How did it occur? Did anyone explain?

Obviously your breathing is not affected. However fused? That implies the two flaps we use in that box to pass air through the cords are shut. Without that you cannot get air and are dead unless the chinese windgate (Trach area between collarbones) is cut through.

I am curious about that fusing. How did it occur? Did anyone explain?
She did say "no explanation, no reason." Sometimes that's all people get.

Back