Must put our cat to sleep!

If you have a pet and can't afford medical care, many vets will suggest taking it to your local rescue.

Sometimes then the pet can get a second chance. There are shelters devoted to sick animals.

Euthanasia just because you can't afford the medical care is not the best choice.

The only thing my vet suggested was Lollypop Farm, and adoption center in our area that might take the pet and put it asleep saving us the cost however I would not be permitted to stand by her. This center only keeps adoptable animals :(

I have been lookinng all over!

The only thing my vet suggested was Lollypop Farm, and adoption center in our area that might take the pet and put it asleep saving us the cost however I would not be permitted. This center only keeps adoptable animals :(

I have been lookinng all over!

If you tell the area where you live, someone might be able to help. Most states I believe do have no kill shelters.

I am an animal advocate and I do foster pets also, and I have saved pets that go on for much longer than it was originally thought they would. There is probably someone like me in your area.

Here as I see you are in Rochester New York is a list of no kill shelters in your state and a link to the page. I notice more than one in Rochester.

Comprehensive List of No Kill Animal Shelters in the United States
New York

Ada Howe Kent Memorial Shelter, Calverton
Adirondack Save A Stray
Elmsford Animal Shelter
Animal Haven, Flushing
Animal Lovers Albany
Animal Service League, Rochester
Bide-A-Wee Home Association New York City
Brooklyn Animal Resource Coalition Brooklyn
Citizens Committee for Animal Rights
Essie Dabrusin Cat Sanctuary, Beacon
Feline Rescue, Inc, New York
Fulton County SPCA, Broadalbin
Furever Animals, Inc., Montgomery
Animal Lovers League Shelter
Greece Residence Assisting Stray Pets, Greece
Grateful Paw Cat Shelter, Huntington
Hamburg-Eden Animal Rescue Team, Hamburg
Jefferson County S.P.C.A., Watertown
Kent Animal Shelter / Spay/neuter Clinic
Kings Highway Cat Rescue, Brooklyn
Kitty Corner Liverpool
League for Animal Protection, Inc.
Little Orphan Animals, Peekskill
Little Shelter, Huntington
Mid Hudson Animal Aid Beacon
Mighty Mutts Brooklyn
New Yorkers for Companion Animals, NYC
SPCA of Upstate New York, Queensbury
North Fork Animal Welfare League
North Shore Animal League, Port Washington
Peace Plantation Animal Shelter, Walton
People Against Cruelty to Animals
People for Animal Welfare Society (PAWS), Albion
Pet Pride of New York, Honeoye Falls
Pets Alive, Inc, Middletown
Project PAW, Inc., Binghamton
Save Our Strays, Brooklyn
Scottsville Veterinary Adoptions
SPCA of Allegany County
SPCA of Cattaraugaus County, Olean
Scottsville Veterinary Adoptions, Rochester
Sentient Creatures, Inc., New York
Tri-State Animal Rescue Services, Inc
The North Country SPCA, Hudson Falls
Westside Animal Rescue, NY
Whiskers Animal Benevolent League Albany

There is actually only one in the Rochester area I will try them thanks!

Worried if I should be honest and tell them what is wrong with Dusty or not because they try to adopt them out, they may say no? What do you think?

There is actually only one in the Rochester area I will try them thanks!

Worried if I should be honest and tell them what is wrong with Dusty or not because they try to adopt them out, they may say no? What do you think?

Tell the truth. No kill shelters really mean it. They will do their utmost to help the cat.

I called them and got a recording saying they are not accepting any more animals. I sent them a urgent email explaining our situation in hopes they will make a exception this once.

I guess there are just too many cats in need of help :(

But thank you for trying to help! I hope I hear from them before tomorrow morning!!!

I called them and got a recording saying they are not accepting any more animals. I sent them a urgent email explaining our situation in hopes they will make a exception this once.

I guess there are just too many cats in need of help :(

But thank you for trying to help! I hope I hear from them before tomorrow morning!!!

I am sorry.:(

I appreciate your help! There is still a slight chance they will call, but I do not have high hopes. I understand there are just way too many cats and dogs to care for. We have 8 cats. We wil take in strays and have adopted in the past too. But it's a mistake to try to take care of too many cats because one serious matter such as this can be impossible financially. I fought my wife for the past year keeping Dusty. She is at the end of her ropes. She wants a clean house and I am not there to clean the mess when I am at work. I see stray cats every where I go. It's no dount a problem every where! Thanks again.

It's done. It was very hard but it's over now. I stayed with Dusty to the very end, comforting her. I spoiled her the last 3 days. And this morning let her eat all she wanted. The procedure was difficult at the vet. The first shot was suppose to put her to sleep in two minutes but she was still wide awake after 6 minutes. The gave her a second shot and then she went to sleep in 3 minutes. Then the injected the shot that puts her down for good.

All I can say is I never want to go throw that again. The vet said I did the right thing. Her quality of life was very poor. Constantly trying to clean herself free of the diarea was making her even more sick and stressed out. The last 4 months she was not her normal self her condition deteriated.

I hope there is a life after death for all of God's creatures. She was so loving!

I know how that feels in the last almost 2 years I have to put my hamsters to sleep. Lucy my first hamster was put to sleep because she had cancer and could barely walk, she was so loving until that point. My other hamster Peaches died be4 I could put her to sleep, nearly from the same issue as Lucy.

I love animals!

I remember when my parents put my family's dog down when I was 4 that hurted. Now we have 2 cats and I still want a new hamster, but I got my cat and it might not be wise to do.

I am very sad about this, she is my favorite and most loyal cat who use to sleep with me and purr out loud enough for me to hear as she licked my arm. The past year she has had none stop diarea we tried every thing. Vet said most likely a cancer. She runs poop all over the house, too hard to keep up with tho my wife and I tried for 1 year. Now we must put her to sleep, it's too hard on us. I am sad. I will most likely be the one to take her to vet and hold her and pet her while they give her shot. Any one else have to put loyal pet to sleep before it's time?

This may be a helpful link for others,
Time To Let Go - Euthanasia and Pet Bereavement

HI there i do same feelin i dont wanna put my fave dog oreo put to sleep Last May. but no choice he been sick dirrehea, bleed in his urine, throw up all wknd and seizure so decide take him to vet i explain detail so vet say sound not right ask me if ok examine him i say go ahead find out he has heart disease and organ disease so ask me what my thought to do i say sighs it hard but best for put him to sleep i dont wanna see my dog OREO been suffer feel pain all since also he been throax cancer since 5 yrs old has to put him last may he is 15 yrs old but recently his bday dec 8 oh well i do miss OREO very much i do hear his whine sometimes how he is very friendly loyal to me for long long time in my life. now he feel good no more pain can see again he been blind for almost 3 yrs both blind eyes. But i have another dog PANDY she is 2 yrs old bday recently too dec 7 close to OREO s bday PANDY doin good very playful and smart she is toy shh tzu and OREO is mixed breed poodle/terrier i know how ur feelin abt ur cat darn it remind my cat PRECIOUS she has to put sleep long time ago since her rectum were get out of her bofy by rat poison i never put rat poison anymore just trap oh well just hang in there i do visit OREO s grave when pretty day smile

I so sorry that you have to put your cat down. She is on the rainbow bridge now! Resting comfrotably.

Back