I just found out that my co-worker told me about MSN
Messenger or chatting room will be shutting down
everywhere in the Planet! It is will be starting on
Oct. 14/2003 soon.

POSSIBLE they will Charge it to all customers thru
your Credit Card if you want to chatting with your
friends in MSN Messenger only in North America! This
is why!! NO longer free chatting room soon in Middle
of this Month. You will checking it out!

I got the information thru The Toronto Star Newspaper
in Website that date was Sept. 23rd! I put it in
attachment to all email's deaf friend to let them
know!

Please you passing your messages to your deaf's email
around there!
Please everybody will aware soon!!
Thanks,

I tried to attachment but too big images.. so..
I copy newspaper says:
MIRCOSOFT'S MSN HALTING MOST WEB CHAT..
Move designed to protect chidren

SEATTLE (AP)- Mircosoft Corp. is shutting down Internet chat services in most of its markets around the world and limiting the service in North America to help reduce criminal solicitations of children through online chat discussions.

The changes will take effect Oct 14, Microsoft said today in an announcement from Europe.

In most of its 34 markets in Europe, Latin America and Asia, Micosoft MSN has chosen to simply shut down the service, the Redmond, Wash-based software company said, However MSN will continue to offer chat services to users in the UNITED STATES, CANADA , JAPAN, AND BRAZIL.

In the United STates, MSN will require user of its chat service to subscribe to at least one other paid MSN service. That way, the company will have credit card numbers to make it easier to track down users who violate MSN'S terms of use. The sessions will not be moderated, Microsoft said.

In Canada and Japan, the company will offer some moderated chat rooms. Users can also subscribe to an unmoderated service. MSN will offer some moderated chat discussion in New Zealand and Brazil.

I think it's a HOAX..

they've always saying this.. and they have always saying that they'll Charge you with AIM too.. bleh.. it's all bullsh*t

deafscuba.. I recived the real newspaper on publish from The Toronto Star.. by email..

Do you care see this .. i'll be very happy pm you by real publish it.

IF you feel strong hoax.. that's okay for your opitions..

Bullym0m said:
deafscuba.. I recived the real newspaper on publish from The Toronto Star.. by email..

Do you care see this .. i'll be very happy pm you by real publish it.

IF you feel strong hoax.. that's okay for your opitions..

it is a hoax. They don't email newspaper. I bet you a dollar to see if it is true. Call the toronto star newspaper editor.

kalboy said:
it is a hoax. They don't email newspaper. I bet you a dollar to see if it is true. Call the toronto star newspaper editor.

Straight from the source.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/es_chat&xapid=1820&DI=341&HL=from_chat_page

It is not a hoax, and I did read the news on Microsoft's plans for the MSN chatrooms a few days ago on several news websites.

Besides, newspapers does e-mail people some of their news stories. BullyMom was saying that the newspaper (Toronto Star) sent her the e-mail on the news story.

Last edited:
Banjo said:
Straight from the source.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/es_chat&xapid=1820&DI=341&HL=from_chat_page

It is not a hoax, and I did read the news on Microsoft's plans for the MSN chatrooms a few days ago on several news websites.

Besides, newspapers does e-mail people some of their news stories. BullyMom was saying that the newspaper (Toronto Star) sent her the e-mail on the news story.

Just for chat? but MSN messager still free...

But for god's sake.. why whould Bill gates need more money? He's done to be rich.. and is getting richer..

DeafSCUBA98 said:
Just for chat? but MSN messager still free...

But for god's sake.. why whould Bill gates need more money? He's done to be rich.. and is getting richer..

Of course, MSN Messenger will not be shut down. Sorry for not mentioning that part, I forgot to.

MSN Messenger, I have heard reports in the past that they may charge people for using MSN Messenger which has yet to happen.

MSN Chatrooms?

Like I care. But for the frequent MSN Chat users, tough break.

We live in Capitalist countries, and there's pretty much nothing you can do about it. Bill Gates is a businessman and it make sense that he want to make a profit off the MSN service.

In fact, MSN has been around for like 8 years and they have NEVER made a profit off it. Give them a break, they have given you so much and you took advantage of it.

Ok.. goodie... chat isn't really something I've heard anyone using lately on MSN

So as long Messenger is free.. that's good. Otherwise I'd be terribly disappointed since it's the only way to chat with my International 'friend' ;)

I for one am NO way intrested in this! im just glad i didn't need to use that in any aspect its boring i perfer the AIM and the yahoo, thats pretty much it :) so MSN chatroom tuff luck on u guys no offense.

Yay!! No more of those FUGLY smilies from MSN! j/k

Geez!! I think that is a bad move on Microsoft's part. People will flock to other free services and use less MS services and products. Once they start charging for using MSN Messenger, I am going to save the contacts and move them all to AIM and Yahoo.

Banjo said:
In fact, MSN has been around for like 8 years and they have NEVER made a profit off it. Give them a break, they have given you so much and you took advantage of it.

Well, tell that to M$ and Bill Gates for taking advantage of those smaller companies they monopolized. I live in a community where some people totally HATE M$ for ruining their computer careers.

Yeah..it's ONLY the MS CHATROOMS...that will be snuffed out of existence -- the MS Messenger will remain to be free and can use to contact people online.
It's only the Chatrooms that MSN's shutting down due to a huge plethora of paedophiles lurking in chatrooms and enticing kids away from safety and so forth.

WaterRats13 said:
Yeah..it's ONLY the MS CHATROOMS...that will be snuffed out of existence -- the MS Messenger will remain to be free and can use to contact people online.
It's only the Chatrooms that MSN's shutting down due to a huge plethora of paedophiles lurking in chatrooms and enticing kids away from safety and so forth.

Of course, not only that reason -- but for many other reasons -- spam and stalking in general. I'm pretty sure everyone's aware of MSN's main purposes of shutting down MSN chatrooms. It is to make things safer for everyone -- as chatrooms are unmoderated and not supervised. Not keeping tabs on what goes on in those channels.

WaterRats13 said:
Of course, not only that reason -- but for many other reasons -- spam and stalking in general. I'm pretty sure everyone's aware of MSN's main purposes of shutting down MSN chatrooms. It is to make things safer for everyone -- as chatrooms are unmoderated and not supervised. Not keeping tabs on what goes on in those channels.

Makes me wonder if Yahoo and AIM plan on following suit.

Also, that explains why Microsoft will cut MSN service to all Trillian users as well on October 15.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty stoopid for this everything went shut it off... (rolls)...

I have to start over again to user AIM.. will not able to use msn.. (sigh)~ :thumbd:

Actually, MSN chatroom will be shut down on 14th October but that doesn't mean MSN Messenger will be shut down too. MSN chat room is web-based chatroom shared by many strangers so that is different from MSN messenger.

But what Microsoft is saying that you need to upgrade to MSN Messenger version 5.0 or higher...because older version of less than 5.0 will have to be stopped for security issues and for Trillian, MSN wants third party like Trillian to contact them before 15th oct deadline or trillian users will not able to access to msn service which I think is to do with security issues.

I don't think Yahoo and AIM will follow suit but yahoo and AOL might consider shutting down chatrooms where paedophiles uses it to prey.

Of course, msn, yahoo and aol (aim) messenger will go on after 15th oct.

I dont care about MSN... cuz its annoying.. even I cant click off the pereferences that i dont want it automatically sign in if i open aol or Ie browsers.. :rme:..

I always like yahoo or aim.. it works great for me.. :)

i never used MSN messager just AIM and yahoo that's about it but dang that is sad news for MSN messager users

i dont use MSN anymore so i dont really care much for it *shrugs* i use AIM most and yahoo on occasions

Back