Ms. or Mrs follwed by first name still feels weird to me

When Miss is used I expect it to be followed by the las

the las? :confused: Misslas? Miss las?

What others are saying is that it can be used in a fun, informal way. I wouldn’t mind it in the least if someone called me Ms. or Miss (and my first name). It might not be appropriate in a professional setting such as a job interview, but if someone wanted to call me informally in about any other setting, okay by me.

Pretty much my thinking too. My WA friend says she has heard people use these terms and has been called Miss Cindy. She did mention that in WA the natives will be infuriated if you call them 'ma'am'... a bit hard to NOT say that if you were raised to say Yes Ma'am, No Sir etc (like she was).

It's a black and southern thing. I live in a predominantly black neighborhood and it's incredibly common here. It's a respect for elders thing. I call my neighbor, who is in her 70's, Ms. Gayle. Everyone in my neighborhood calls her that. Even the adults in their 50's and 60's.

I think in general is IS a black thing but overall it's closer to being a southern thing as the educators I mentioned were in the majority white in this part of NC with a good mix of POC. Definitely a respect for elders thing but at the same time I have also heard it used as a playful endearment from the same people who regard it as a sign of respect. Context.

the las? :confused: Misslas? Miss las?

Pretty much my thinking too. My WA friend says she has heard people use these terms and has been called Miss Cindy. She did mention that in WA the natives will be infuriated if you call them 'ma'am'... a bit hard to NOT say that if you were raised to say Yes Ma'am, No Sir etc (like she was).

I think in general is IS a black thing but overall it's closer to being a southern thing as the educators I mentioned were in the majority white in this part of NC with a good mix of POC. Definitely a respect for elders thing but at the same time I have also heard it used as a playful endearment from the same people who regard it as a sign of respect. Context.

When Miss is used I expect it to be followed by the las

Found this one that DeafDucky quoted and think it was one of those times when taking some things off accidentlly went too far and took off more than intended. How about if it was "When Miss is used I expect it to be followed by the last name or first and last name."

I can see this She did mention that in WA the natives will be infuriated if you call them 'ma'am' with it coming through as you seem old (with old not being a good thing) so I need to call you ma'am.

Hahaha! Well, I am white, and I have heard it my whole life among the whites. So I think it is just a southern thing here in the South. Even though I am married, "Miss" and my first name is used many times here. I think we use it as a term of respect. "Mrs." and our last name can be too formal at times. I suppose this is middle ground. Not too formal, but a way to show respect, especially for our elders. In the doctor and dentist offices, where I have been known for awhile, "Miss" and my first name is usually used by the office personnel. Of course, I am in my 60's. I love it!
That's entirely possible. I live in PA. And the white people up here don't do it unless that was established by someone else. However, it's very common among my black friends and in my neighborhood.

I dont think it's a location or skin colour thing. It's a politeness thing. If I dont know ones name, I will address them as ma'am/sir.

I can see this She did mention that in WA the natives will be infuriated if you call them 'ma'am' with it coming through as you seem old (with old not being a good thing) so I need to call you ma'am.

I have no idea.. I suspect that for some in Washington, it feels... "old fashioned" or stuffy I guess. I, and my friend, both see it more of a sign of respect. There are some who see being called "ma'am" as being referred to as "old" or "old spinster" as it were.

English is funny that way... you can have 1 word and a good chance of it being interpreted/understood in ten different ways.

I have no idea.. I suspect that for some in Washington, it feels... "old fashioned" or stuffy I guess. I, and my friend, both see it more of a sign of respect. There are some who see being called "ma'am" as being referred to as "old" or "old spinster" as it were.

English is funny that way... you can have 1 word and a good chance of it being interpreted/understood in ten different ways.

I agree and the bolded part is almost an understatement.

So should we use only name? Surname? or Full name?
Some other titles like Dr. Engg. Prof. etc might not be wired.

So should we use only name? Surname? or Full name?
Some other titles like Dr. Engg. Prof. etc might not be wired.

If you're unsure... ASK the person you want to address what they prefer. (Same thing with pronouns if you are unsure of the gender).

But in general... name... first name with people you are close with or are friendly with... Surname for business purposes. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone using full names other than parents screaming the child's full name when they want their attention or are mad....M-A-D mad... lol.

Again..best thing to do if you're not sure...ASK.

Hahaha! Well, I am white, and I have heard it my whole life among the whites. So I think it is just a southern thing here in the South. Even though I am married, "Miss" and my first name is used many times here. I think we use it as a term of respect. "Mrs." and our last name can be too formal at times. I suppose this is middle ground. Not too formal, but a way to show respect, especially for our elders. In the doctor and dentist offices, where I have been known for awhile, "Miss" and my first name is usually used by the office personnel. Of course, I am in my 60's. I love it!

So true. My sister in law is in Atlanta, GA. I am from California and when I moved to Texas, I was so impressed with the Southern way of life here. I used to see a similar way of life in Southern CA during the 80s, but not anymore. The mannerism is dead over there.

I don't know if you have heard of It's a Southern Thing videos. It's pretty funny.

Back