MP3 Players ??

Anij

Reaction score
I'm not sure where to post this ...

I'm sort of debating trying an MP3 player to try listening to music and audiobooks, and to maybe watch movies on -???

I'm 'technically' Hoh (I can use an amplified phone if needed) ... and have a BTE and Audio boot ... but I'd still need something that went loud.

Soooo my question - for HAers and CIers what MP3 Players have you tried, what worked what didn't ... is it even worth bothering ??

suggestions ??

I have iPod Nano 1st generation.

Works great for my HA and CI. If you want movies/shows, you're better off getting the iPod Touch. CC on there isn't that bad.

You may get better answers by going to Technology thread. HERE!

In fact, they're even discussing iPhone and iPod Touch over there.

Good luck!
I never tried any other mp3 player, my little Nano is my first.

I have an iRiver and love it. I've also used my Dad's Sandisk Sansa and its fantastic.

I have iPod Nano 1st generation.

Works great for my HA and CI. If you want movies/shows, you're better off getting the iPod Touch. CC on there isn't that bad.

My question may sound a bit weird, but do you think it is ever possible to use a mp3 player if one has a CI in one ear and a hearing aid in the other???

If you could find an audio cable with boots/ports to fit BOTH, I don't see why not. It might be confusing though considering the inputs would be pretty different, but if it works better that way for somebody it might be worth exploring.

My question may sound a bit weird, but do you think it is ever possible to use a mp3 player if one has a CI in one ear and a hearing aid in the other???

Yes it is possible! Will only work if you have telecoil CI processor.

Here's one - Harris Communication Noizfree Dual Silhouette

I have Rexton Inductor Dual Silhouette. Harris Communication site has similar to the one I have, but it has a volume control, and I certainly did not pay $130 for it.

Works great for both hearing aids and CI. I don't use it that method though due to the fact that I was just activated and my right ear (unimplanted) is dominate.

I use the Sansa Clip. Great little player. Sound quality is very good. Has a nice FM radio on it but you do need decent reception though.

iPod Classic can work with CC's now, as long you're encoding the DVDs from a mac.

Yes. This can be done by using a neckloop and switching your CI and HA to T-coil.

Yes. This can be done by using a neckloop and switching your CI and HA to T-coil.

I use a bluetooth neckloop with my cell phone, which allows me to hear the speech in both CIs. I'm sure it can be done with the Mp3 player!

I use a bluetooth neckloop with my cell phone, which allows me to hear the speech in both CIs. I'm sure it can be done with the Mp3 player!

Do you mean, you can even use cellphone with CI ? Wow..I could never imagine the CI with cellphone. So, does the cellphone go directly next to the speech processor or we use the neckloop? I have a Phonak Smartlink FM that has bluetooth and I have been trying it with phones all this while. The only problem is that its hard to understand speech, and Bluetooth technology does not provide good clarity. Maybe I am mistaken, but its surprising that you are able to use it with a neckloop!

I still dont understand how CI/HA would work with an Ipod. Everyone seems to be saying to switch to telecoil, but what about the earphones? Where do they go? Or does it mean, we use a Silhouette in place of the earphones??

Don't people fear that their hearing may deteriorate when listening to music via mp3 player?

Do you mean, you can even use cellphone with CI ? Wow..I could never imagine the CI with cellphone. So, does the cellphone go directly next to the speech processor or we use the neckloop?

Yes, I can use the cellphone with my CI. I couldn't use it with hearing aids, even though I did relatively well with them so this has been a big plus for me. My cellphone has bluetooth technology so I pair it with the neckloop, which then interacts with both my CIs turned to telecoil setting.

I can use the cellphone without the neckloop with just the plain telecoil setting on the CI as well and often do this for receiving calls as it can be trickly to set up the neckloop quickly. But for making calls I love the fact that I can hear out of two ears and also the neckloop has an additional volume control too.

I have a Phonak Smartlink FM that has bluetooth and I have been trying it with phones all this while. The only problem is that its hard to understand speech, and Bluetooth technology does not provide good clarity. Maybe I am mistaken, but its surprising that you are able to use it with a neckloop!

It's a bit hard to know why you aren't getting the results you wish. We are so individual. There is no guarantee that if you got a CI that you would be able to use the phone either as some people cannot. However, in my case I was fortunate and the sound quality improvement with the CI was such that using the cellphone became possible. Now my husband and I both have a plan with the same company where we can talk up to 10 minutes at a time for free.

I still dont understand how CI/HA would work with an Ipod. Everyone seems to be saying to switch to telecoil, but what about the earphones? Where do they go? Or does it mean, we use a Silhouette in place of the earphones??

I have a cable that I got from Cochlear which I plug from the back of the CI directly into my ipod. No earphones needed! I believe AB also produces a similar cable for their models as well. You don't have to use telecoil as the sound quality is the same but I like it to cut out background noise and just leave me and the music together.

With bluetooth MP3 players you would be able to use the neckloop to deliver sounds. I don't have a bluetooth compatible ipod though.

Don't people fear that their hearing may deteriorate when listening to music via mp3 player?

We CI users have no hearing left to lose! :giggle: Many of us are completely deaf already!

PS just noticed you are an Aussie! :)

I can't even hear with the earphones. I use the silhouette instead. However, the only problem is that if you are using T-coil, and a neckloop/ dual sihouette thing...hearing people can hear the music. I was embarrassed once because of that.

With the CI, I use the personal audio cable - the only irk I have is I cannot block out background noise like with t-coil - and with the personal cable, NO ONE can hear my music, so I can blast it as loud as I want. ;-)

If you really want to use CI/HA combo - the dual sihouette is to go, or neckloop (I've tried neckloop and I hate it).

My hearing is naturally deteriorating - I'm not going to get hung up on preserving a db or 2 - actually or even 10 ... and I have 120 Db loss (or whatever "off the meters" is ) on my deaf side

The reality is that I could quite possible wake up one morning with 100db on my "hoh" side ~ meh ... I'd rather have a bit of fun - people always tell me I "THINK DEAF" anyway lol

not concerned in the slightest

Back