Mother of 7 y/o Deaf girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I beat out a lot of hearing kids to go to Brown and I use sign language. Oh wait I can talk so I'm sure the oralists would poach me as "their" success. But no I was never taught to hear (I have severe/profound hearing loss I can do ANYTHING I WANT BUT HEAR) but yet I was taught to think just fine and excel above many of hearing peers.

Holy crap that's the most narcassistic I've ever sounded and the only time Ive bragged about Brown. But Im not going to say "this person I "know" and who "confided in me " to push my point, these things did happen and they happened to ME.
Hell no, Brown is AMAZING! And of course you didn't turn a stint at a community college in RI into " I went to Brown!"

Last edited:
No, it was Courage North. I went in my late 70s and early 80s.

I went to the Deaf camp in the mid 80's by Lions club. It took place at Bucks Lake in California. It was 5 hours drive at the time.

I went to the Deaf camp in the mid 80's by Lions club. It took place at Bucks Lake in California. It was 5 hours drive at the time.
That’s cool. There were many camps run at Courage North. About a 4 hour drive. Near Park Rapids.

I LOVE the AVT approach where the "how to deal with social emoitional issues" is straight out of a VERY naive first year special ed teacher's playbook. I did attend an AMAZING hearing camp, but it was an amazing camp in GENRAL.
May I ask.. what is AVT?

You are saying hearing children are the standard DHH kids need to reach. You are saying to reach this superior standard DHH kids need to learn to listen and talk and think. What do hearing kids have DHH don't? Spoken language. If its superior that means ASL and sign language are inferior. When you use a superlative that means the opposite of the best is lesser than.

You either believe those things or you don't believe in what you teach
I know that the research shows that children with hearing loss are, on average, not reaching the same academic, educational, and literacy outcomes as the population that does not have hearing loss. That does not mean that ASL is inferior and that also does not make people with hearing loss inferior.

Yes you gave enough information about a state residental school that you referred a student to in the past, where it was very obvious where it was located.
Are you nuts? I think it is creepy that you tried to research which programs matched my description. However, I'm not in Missouri.

Is there ANY way you can prove you are who you claim to be? You know. I know a guy who was pretending to be more affected then he was for attention. Why I do not know. But he was. I also know people who pretended their kid was deaf or that their partner was ID or whatnot to get attention. I'm going to be VERY blunt. You keep contradicting yourself. It seems to be a way to reinforce your "I'm perfect" thinking. One gets the vibe it was so bad you may have once held a position and lost it.
What? You think that I should tell you my name and where I work? You really are crazy. I'm not contradicting myself at all. I have been very clear about my education and experience. You don't like it so you so you're trying to insult me and diminish my expertise. I'm not remotely perfect. There is no "vibe" about what I'm saying.

Yeah I beat out a lot of hearing kids to go to Brown and I use sign language. Oh wait I can talk so I'm sure the oralists would poach me as "their" success. But no I was never taught to hear (I have severe/profound hearing loss I can do ANYTHING I WANT BUT HEAR) but yet I was taught to think just fine and excel above many of hearing peers.

Holy crap that's the most narcassistic I've ever sounded and the only time Ive bragged about Brown. But Im not going to say "this person I "know" and who "confided in me " to push my point, these things did happen and they happened to ME.
You are successful because you worked hard. You are bright and extremely successful. You were given language that was accessible and taught to read, write and think. That is exactly what I think everyone wants for every student with hearing loss.

I didnt realize that you had to "read, write and "THINK" like a hearing person to be extremely successful? What a load of HS! I have seen many kids who went to MSSD deaf schools who are smarter than hearing kids who go to mainstream schools.
Do you have any idea how that "sounds?" That is like saying dhh can't think?:wtflol: SMDH

I didnt realize that you had to "read, write and "THINK" like a hearing person to be extremely successful? What a load of HS! I have seen many kids who went to MSSD deaf schools who are smarter than hearing kids who go to mainstream schools.
Do you have any idea how that "sounds?" That is like saying dhh can't think?:wtflol: SMDH
I didn't say that. I said that I teach my students to listen, talk, read and think. I am sure there are brilliant students at MSSD.

I didn't say that. I said that I teach my students to listen, talk, read and think. I am sure there are brilliant students at MSSD.
No, you did say that, you said to Zeefour that she was given language that was accessible and taught to read, write and think. Now you are just changing your words around. smh

No, you did say that, you said to Zeefour that she was given language that was accessible and taught to read, write and think. Now you are just changing your words around. smh
I also said that. I have not said anything about people needing to "think like hearing people" which is what you claim.

No, you are claiming that, I never claim anything or said such a thing, I am ONLY repeating WHAT YOU SAID TOTD , YOU Don't even realize HOW IT SOUNDS! THIS IS YOUR THINKING / LOGIC ........To teach , read, and "THINK". from a mainstream / hearing school.... that to me Teacherofthedeaf is saying, dhh cant think. ANd YES MSSD are brilliant human beings, more so than hearing mainstream schools.
perhaps you should go to a hearing forum who has a similar work ethic like you. I am done here!

Last edited:
No, you are claiming that, I never claim anything or said such a thing, I am ONLY repeating WHAT YOU SAID TOTD , YOU Don't even realize HOW IT SOUNDS! THIS IS YOUR THINKING / LOGIC ........To teach , read, and "THINK". from a mainstream / hearing school.... that to me Teacherofthedeaf is saying, dhh cant think. ANd YES MSSD are brilliant human beings, more so than hearing mainstream schools.
perhaps you should go to a hearing forum who has a similar work ethic like you. I am done here!
I didn't say that at all.

You are successful because you worked hard. You are bright and extremely successful. You were given language that was accessible and taught to read, write and think. That is exactly what I think everyone wants for every student with hearing loss.

Thank you. I would just wish you would listen to my as well as others like @deafdyke and @peekaboo s stories of the bullying and exclusion we faced, how thousands and more hours were spent on made up systems and speech when native ASL exposure would have been more productive, how speech is still incredibly difficult for us, how having learned ASL and been with DHH peers would have given us community and self esteem, how we feel we have no identity or community. This is so common among mainstreamed DHH adults nationwide.

My high school and college accomplishments are behind me. Now I face the world not hearing and not Deaf. it is HARD

One of my friends grew up TC. She ended up being accepted by YALE. She decided to go to Gally, and she said she went from feeling like the smartest kid in her deaf ed program to feeling like the DUMBEST b/c so many of her Gally classmates were VERY wildly creative and smart in out of the box ways

Are you nuts? I think it is creepy that you tried to research which programs matched my description. However, I'm not in Missouri.
Not now, no. You're in a different state now of course. This wasn't about your program that you TAUGHT in! . I'm not interested in confirming details about a program you worked in. However, you said that you had referred a girl to the state res school. You gave identifiying details as to the res school, which in turn revealed info about a state you had a work history in. You do however have a personal history here I will be blunt and tell you that many posters (including a deceased one) have their suspicions about you, and that was the trigger for the research. That's not creepy. It's simply confirming people's suspicions. If you had shown up and presented yourself as someone who was a TOD without coming across as seeming to STRONGLY resemble someone in this forum's history, nothing would have happened. I speak to lots of oral TODs on FB, and lots of people here without feeling the need to do further research

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back