Mother of 7 y/o Deaf girl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, it is far more complex than teaching speech. That is why that isn't what we do. We teach receptive and expressive vocabulary, complex language, syntax, pragmatics, audition, speech, academics, social skills, and self-advocacy.
You do realize only a VERY small percentage of dhh kids even GET an oral deaf education right? Even then the problem is that the speech umbrella covers SEVEN of the things you listed. So yes oral deaf educators are CONVINCED that HOH level functioning is THE answer!

I'm late deafened so did not suffer what many deaf kids suffered because hearies think they should only learn how to be like hearies. But I agree with DD and others that you come across as thinking sign language is inferior to speech and hearing. That kids who know sign language are inferior to kids who can speak and hear.
And I think it's rude that you're even here on AllDeaf with your attitude towards deaf who sign or wish they had been given access to sign language from the get go.
Thank you LoveBlue!!! What we're arguing for is a COMPREHENSIVE approach that covers all the bases. Speech, Sign, Cued speech and a VARIETY of social, educational and life experiences! That doesn't mean we think all deaf kids should go voice off and only attend Deaf School as res students. Dhh kids DESERVE EVERYTHING. Just like physically disabled kids deserve to use ALL the tools including wheelchairs, and attending PD camp and knowing other PD kids, just like blind/low vision kids deserve Braille, short term placement at the blind school, intense blindskills knowing other blind/low vision kids, blind camp etc....What is so wrong with a COMPREHENSIVE approach that covers ALL the bases?!?!?!?

You are seriously nuts.
No, I mean it. Non made up details. There is a condition where people exaggerate details of their lives or create a persona for attention. This could be something like claiming your CI kid is a member of the honors society and is doing SO WELL socially, when in fact a teacher recommended she needs to be in a self contained classroom, or making up an alternative persona b/c you got banned from both here and many other groups on FB, and you need to bully someone. You have a VERY distinctive voice. I realize you mixed in some details that are real.....But nobody is impressed by you creating a new persona for attention. NOBODY. If I recall you showed up to post that Geers article so you could rub it in our faces, and just never left b/c you're enjoying belitteling and nitpicking

No, I mean it. Non made up details. There is a condition where people exaggerate details of their lives or create a persona for attention. This could be something like claiming your CI kid is a member of the honors society and is doing SO WELL socially, when in fact a teacher recommended she needs to be in a self contained classroom, or making up an alternative persona b/c you got banned from both here and many other groups on FB, and you need to bully someone. You have a VERY distinctive voice. I realize you mixed in some details that are real.....But nobody is impressed by you creating a new persona for attention. NOBODY. If I recall you showed up to post that Geers article so you could rub it in our faces, and just never left b/c you're enjoying belitteling and nitpicking
None of what you are saying applies to me at all. I don't have a child with an implant, my kids are too young to be in school, let alone an honor society. My first post was not about Geers article at all. I don't have to make anything up and I can't understand what your obsession with this is.

None of what you are saying applies to me at all. I don't have a child with an implant, my kids are too young to be in school, let alone an honor society. My first post was not about Geers article at all. I don't have to make anything up and I can't understand what your obsession with this is.
So why are you so nasty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back