Mom of Hoh child

EmmaraV

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I certainly hope it okay that I joined the board, I am hearing but have recently found out that my child, who has a rare genetic disorder, is HOH (also nonverbal) and is losing her hearing at a rapid rate. I joined in hopes to meet new people, learn more about the deaf community, and gain insight from others who have maybe been in my place before. I live in a rurual part of southern Alabama where resources are pretty much non existent as far as ASL education and even support.

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day and I look forward to engaging with you all!

Welcome!!!! Contact http://aidb.org/alabama-school-for-the-deaf/.... ME DUH....Actually correct that! Contact http://aidb.org/helen-keller-school/ The school for the Deaf actually has a program for multihandicapped/severe kids. Someone there can help you with advice, hints, resources etc.....Any chance of relocating? I mean it does sound like you're in the middle of nowhere and even if she was hearing, her educational needs would be compromised.

Hi! Welcome! I, too, am a hearing mama of a deaf baby. She's 18 months old and I've been on this forum for a while, just readings tons of posts and also posting and commenting myself. Feel free to reach out if needed :)

Hello everyone!

I certainly hope it okay that I joined the board, I am hearing but have recently found out that my child, who has a rare genetic disorder, is HOH (also nonverbal) and is losing her hearing at a rapid rate. I joined in hopes to meet new people, learn more about the deaf community, and gain insight from others who have maybe been in my place before. I live in a rurual part of southern Alabama where resources are pretty much non existent as far as ASL education and even support.

I hope everyone is having a fantastic day and I look forward to engaging with you all!
I am a teacher of the deaf and would love to help you find good services in your area. PM me and I will help direct you.

Back