Mom of a Teen who needs some answers...

That's cute. :) (the girlfriend part)

I think a lot of deaf/hoh kids do have anger issues. I know I did. But a part of it is just simply that they're teenagers, I think. (I used to get so mad at my mom sometimes at that age over nothing! :) )

How about a tutor for the math? Would that ease some of it? They might have them right at school. (But then you need an interpreter, maybe. Depends on how visual the tutor would be.)

That's cute. :) (the girlfriend part)

I think a lot of deaf/hoh kids do have anger issues. I know I did. But a part of it is just simply that they're teenagers, I think. (I used to get so mad at my mom sometimes at that age over nothing! :) )

How about a tutor for the math? Would that ease some of it? They might have them right at school. (But then you need an interpreter, maybe. Depends on how visual the tutor would be.)

I am with what Alleycat mentioned as above. Sort of mixed with teenager and that. :)

Thanks ya all, I am so very proud of him. I know he is not as socially adapted as 'hearing' kids, but he is happy, has some friends and has a pretty good self esteem. And big news!!! He has a girlfriend,(they are on their 2nd week :) she is hearing, didn't know a lick of sign...but has learned the alphabet and her numbers, and can hold a simple conversation..actually as each day passes she is learning more and more...and USING IT!!! They have been skyping everynight and if there is somethig she doesnt know she has her sign book right beside her, or she will write it and ALex will show her the sign/s...It is soo cute..he's only 14, but Im happy he is getting to experience this. hehe:)
And ya know, I would love for Alex to really be at a deaf school where his language is #1, not the latter, but the behavioral issues are still there...huge sigh...:( We have had 4 (tonight was a bad one) episodes since he moved back home in June...where he doesnt want to do homework., lies about having it done, or just wont look at me when Im trying to sign to him asking why he has lied or whats wrong...THEN when I get upset, and send him to his room he really throws a fit, like throwing things in his room, trying to intimidate me because of his 6 foot size...I first thought, well maybe he is NOT UNDERSTANDING and just dont want to do it because of that...Its math..and like I had stated earlier, gma had him in a school where adding and subtracting were probably the only math he saw, he is now doing 7th grade math..algebra, some he has grasped pretty well, I dont know...I jsut get so upset that if it is something like his just not understanding, then why not say that instead of getting this angry to the point that he is now grounded to his room for the weekend, and no grlfriend..Sorry, just rambling really...I just really want to know if A LOT of deaf/hh kids/teens have anger issues like this? He is starting meds tomorrow...gma had him on meds for yrs...He hasnt been on any since here, but I wanted to try them again to see if he REALLY did need them??? Another issue all together...MEDS...HUGE SIGH:(

I have a teenaged daughter who is hearing. She seems angry all the time too. It could be a phase of growing pains or they were both angry about something from their childhood and now it is bubbling out. My daughter's childhood wasnt really a stable one (long story) so I hope it is just a phase, not deeper issues.

Yes, having teenagers is so hard because we question ourselves if we did everything right when they were smaller and hope they make wise decisions in the next few years.

I was angry as a teenager because I worked all of my life to try to be as "hearing" as I can be by having perfect speech, memorizing the popular song's lyrics so I could sing along with my friends, practice listening on the phone so I could talk on the phone like my friends, and laughed along with my friends although I had no idea what they were saying just not to be a burden to them only to keep coming up short. All that mental beating up for not being "hearing" enough took a toll on me so I was angry inside but it didnt come out until wayyy later.

However, I am ok now as a 40 year old but still have a lot of resentment towards the doctors for telling my mom not to allow me learn sign language or be around other deaf children so I can lead a "normal" life. Thats why I have a great dislike for the ENTS, audiologists, CI surgeons, and groups that advocate for the oral-only philosophy like AGBell. I dont trust them at all.

I can relate to a lot of that, Shel. For me, I didn't like some of the choices my parents made for my schooling. It was extremely rough. More than I can even begin or want to write out here.

As an adult, I've learned to let that go and focus on the good I have in life now. I suspect you do the same. However, those kinds of experiences do shape who we are as persons. It's nice that we can post about some of those experiences so we can help others not repeat those scenarios. (God forbid it be called that we have a chip on our shoulders.) I get the feeling Amy is trying hard to make the best choices for her son. All we can do is try to help her along. :)

I can relate to a lot of that, Shel. For me, I didn't like some of the choices my parents made for my schooling. It was extremely rough. More than I can even begin or want to write out here.

As an adult, I've learned to let that go and focus on the good I have in life now. I suspect you do the same. However, those kinds of experiences do shape who we are as persons. It's nice that we can post about some of those experiences so we can help others not repeat those scenarios. (God forbid it be called that we have a chip on our shoulders.) I get the feeling Amy is trying hard to make the best choices for her son. All we can do is try to help her along. :)

Yea, I can see that Amy is trying her best and really listening to everyone's experiences without judgement or criticism.

:)

Yea, I have let go but it is hard sometimes because of my job and I see the same thing happening again and again to deaf children. U know what I am talking about.

Yea, I have let go but it is hard sometimes because of my job and I see the same thing happening again and again to deaf children. U know what I am talking about.

I remember some of those posts. I can only hope we help others. And you're right - we can let it go but sometimes it's hard -- every once in a blue moon I find myself in an uncomfortable situation and I think "deja vu!" but it's easier as adults to deal with. I know you're trying hard with the deaf children you see.

gma had him in a school where adding and subtracting were probably the only math he saw, he is now doing 7th grade math..algebra, some he has grasped pretty well,
That's a good sign!!!!

I'm 16 and I'm loosing my hearing and I'm having to learn how to sign.. I understand wherea he's coming from he's being rebellious, I do the same with my mom I hate when she signs with me in public.. its embarrassing and its just part of growing up he'll get over it soon and I give you beat of luck. I'd love to answer any questions that you have, it'd be cool to meet some people who actually sign.. I don't know anyone who does other then my mom and she's terrible at it and I get soo frustrated with her.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

I'm 16 and I'm loosing my hearing and I'm having to learn how to sign.. I understand wherea he's coming from he's being rebellious, I do the same with my mom I hate when she signs with me in public.. its embarrassing and its just part of growing up he'll get over it soon and I give you beat of luck. I'd love to answer any questions that you have, it'd be cool to meet some people who actually sign.. I don't know anyone who does other then my mom and she's terrible at it and I get soo frustrated with her.

Posted from Alldeaf.com App for Android

Hi! My daughter will be 16 in a few weeks. She is hearing but has known ASL since birth because of me, her deaf mom. Now, she is embarrassed to use ASL with me in public BUT will use it with my deaf friends' hearing children in public. It makes me scratch my head. :aw:

Back