Mom gives birth to 13 lb 2 oz baby in Methuen

sara1981

Reaction score
Mom gives birth to 13 lb 2 oz baby in Methuen
WHDH-TV - Mom gives birth to 13 lb 2 oz baby in Methuen

METHUEN, Mass. -- A local mother gave birth to a very healthy baby boy that was much bigger than your average baby.

At Holy Family Hospital in Methuen the nickname “Big Baby” has nothing to do with the Celtics star, Glen Davis. Around Methuen, it’s Jonathan Patrick Rozzi. He’s the big star with all the doctors and nurses.

He was born weighing more than 13 pounds just a day ago and his mom says it only took 10 minutes.

“It was definitely shocking to see him that big,” said Amanda Byron, mother.

It’s the first baby for Amanda and Eric, and both of them were normal sized at birth.

“Dad was a preemie and for myself, I was a little big but not extreme. I was only 8 pounds 2 ounces,” said Amanda Byron.

“I didn’t know how big of a baby till everybody started making a fuss and all the nurses kept coming in. Doctors kept coming in and when we put the baby in the nursery people kept coming and walking by the window and saying, ‘Well, this is the big baby.’” said Eric Rozzi, father.

Jonathan is 22 inches long, and with one look at his chubby cheeks, thick thighs and fat little feet and this family thinks being born near the biggest football weekend of the year may be a sign.

“Either a lineman or a linebacker, I’ll take that,” said Eric Rozzi.

“Maybe he’ll bring the Pats to the Super Bowl or something,” said Amanda Byron.

With a baby that size there is a risk of complications such as gestational diabetes, but Jonathan was born completely healthy and the family can’t wait to take him home.

Wirelessly posted (sent from a smartphone. )

Wow, fat baby! Dang it!

I couldn't get the captions to work, but you can certainly see his size! And a lot of hair too.

I saw this on TV and I thought the baby was ugly! He way too fat ! I know the baby can't help how big he it , but his face has fat hanging off it!

Last edited:
I saw this on TV and I thought the baby was ugly! He way too fat ! I know the baby can't help how big he it , but his face has fat hanging of it!

Lol, thanks for saying what was on everyone's mind but that nobody wanted to say. :laugh2:

Thank you for that, in truth, he does look like sumo kinder.

Well - I just have to chime in.

I too had a "Humongo" baby. My daughter was 12 lbs 8 ounces and 24.5 inches at birth. She wore size 6 month clothes home from the hospital and was in Stage 3 diapers at birth. For me, there was no gestational diabetes and she and I were both dehydrated at birth. She gained an additional 1.5 lbs before leaving the hospital at 3 days old. She was slightly jaundiced, but cleared right up. Due to lack of space in the womb, she had an oxygen cut-off and has a lot of learning disabilities from it. I only gained 21 pounds during my pregnancy and lost 23 pounds the day I had her. We knew at 4 months that she was going to be big, but not sure how big. I did not have her natural - she was a C-Section.

remind of my 2 cousins who born big each in 1997 and 2001 because born by c-sections because aunt tried for natural birth of first baby but cant because they found out huge baby and my aunt accept to have c-section..

my cousins Abby born in Sept.24,1997 she weight ten pounds and her brother Bud born in Feb.22,2001 he weight 11lbs!! But he will turn ten years old this years..

i think my aunt would enough to pregnant im hope she not get pregnant again im pray!!

Kristina ya not the only one to chime in....:)

I had a 10lb 9oz, 23 1/2" son myself. I had him vaginally. In my family he's considered a good sized child. My Grand-Uncles were all 12 or 13lbs. When my Great-grandmother gave birth to my Nana she was afraid she would die cause she was "so small" at 10lbs. Ya have to remember my Great-grandmother had all of her children at home without meds or a doctor present.

I was thinking something was wrong with the baby, I know it not not good for a baby to be born too heavy. It can lean to diabetics later on in life.

There are several syndromes associated with that type weight too. I can't remember the names but it should be easy to Google if anyone is interested.

Maybe Noonan syndrome?

I was thinking something was wrong with the baby, I know it not not good for a baby to be born too heavy. It can lean to diabetics later on in life.

Not good to be too small either. Three of my four baby born early. Door slammer, who is almost 18, born almost 3 month premature and emergency c-section. They say she be Deaf, blind, cerebral palsy. She go to 3 pounds 7 ounces. So, so smart girl.

She beat odds and want to be doctor who study serial killers.
Holly+creative+Lee.jpg

Yeah, I saw it on TV news... wow, what a big baby?!!!

Congratulations to Mr. & Mrs. Byron-Rozzi, first time parents on becoming the proud parents of a big baby boy! Congratulations!

All babies are beautiful to me...and I'm sure the parents of this baby believe he is beautiful too. Most important, the doctors say he is healthy!

Not good to be too small either. Three of my four baby born early. Door slammer, who is almost 18, born almost 3 month premature and emergency c-section. They say she be Deaf, blind, cerebral palsy. She go to 3 pounds 7 ounces. So, so smart girl.

She beat odds and want to be doctor who study serial killers.
Holly+creative+Lee.jpg

I know being born too small is not good too! My niece's baby was born too early and the baby was too small. he has a health issue .

I have some friends who had twins that were born 3 months early. One of them died at 3 days old, and the other spent 8 months in the hospital. She will be 3 this June. So far, other than having an appearance of being a preemie that she may outgrow, she has vision problems. She was delayed in walking. Her speech is good and she counted by herself to 10 just the other day. She now has a baby brother who is not quite a year old. They play well together.

Not sure if this s relevant or not, but I just wanted to share.

Back