Mom Details Dogs Attacking 3 Kids

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Nearby Construction Worker Comes To Help, Kills 1 Dog

JACKSONVILLE, Fla -- A mother of three said she is still trying to get over the emotional trauma she suffered Monday when dogs tried to attack her children.

"I was terrified," she said.

The mother, who did not want to be identified, said her children, ages 8, 3 and 1, were playing in front of their Heckscher Drive home when a pack of five dogs charged at them and started to attack the 3-year-old.

"I told my oldest daughter to get the baby and take her in the house," the mother said. "I got the dogs off my son. They came after me. My son came behind me. We were cornered by the door, and I was fighting them off with a broomstick, and the door was locked. We couldn't get in the house."

That's when Kelly Multon, who was doing construction nearby, came to their rescue.

Video: Mother Of 3 'Was Terrified'

"Anybody's going to react to kids screaming and crying," Multon said Monday night as he was being treated in the emergency room at Baptist Medical Center.

He said he fought the dogs, and they chased him into a boat in a driveway.

"The dogs was trying to get in the boat with me, and I hollered to (fellow construction worker) Andy," Multon said. "I said, 'Bring my truck over here,' and I had my pistol, and he pulled the truck up next to the boat and handed me my pistol. I popped one of (the dogs), and the rest run off."

The dog Multon shot died.

Multon was bitten several times but is recovering. The mother of three calls him a hero who may have saved her and her children's lives.

Multon, however, said the mother is the real hero.

The dogs' owners, who live just a few doors down from where the attack happened, did not answer their door to comment Tuesday.

Animal control officers went to the home and questioned a man inside for about 10 minutes, but they found no dogs on the property.

The mother of three said she wants the aggressive animals gone, but she said the dogs' owners seem to have no remorse for what happened.

"She acted like she didn't care," the mother said. "She was more concerned about her puppies than my children. She didn't say she was sorry or anything. She was screaming at Mr. Multon for shooting his dog."

Scott Trebatoski, who's in charge of Jacksonville's Animal Care and Protective Services, told Channel 4 the dogs' owners are facing several citations. He said the owners have agreed to turn over their dogs to the city, at least until the investigation is over.

Mom Details Dogs Attacking 3 Kids - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville

People who don't care properly for their dogs can cause lots of problems. :(

fark.com has a tag dedicated specifically to the idiocy of Florida. This is fark-worthy.

I am surprised they haven't already put the dogs down if they have been positively identified as the dogs who attacked the people.

This is why I am a supporter of outdoor kennel runs versus tethering your pet. A dog can work itself free from a tether (it takes a while, but it happens). I'm also not cool with people who just let their pets run freely, mainly for the safety of the animal, safety of children and the overall welfare of the neighborhood. I've noticed neighborhoods with lots of free-roaming dogs in it tend to have lower property values than in neighborhoods that require a fenced enclosure for all outdoor pets with proper access to suitable shelter, food and water.

But the owner of these aggressive vicious dogs is irresponsible in their handling of this situation from the very get-go. They should not be allowed to have animals of any kind if this is the best they can do.

I hope the judge throws the book at the morons, and sadly the dogs will be the ones who pay the ultimate price for improper care and socialization of the animals. They are euthanized and their heads are taken to a lab to be tested for Rabies.

Back