Mom and Dad on strike in Florida -- trying to get thru to the kids

Fly Free

Reaction score
Two Florida Parents Go on Strike

By MIKE SCHNEIDER

ENTERPRISE, Fla. (AP) - The dishes, garbage and dirty laundry would pile up for days when Cat and Harlan Barnard's teenage children refused to do their chores. So the Barnards went on strike, moving out of their house and into a domed tent set up in their front driveway. The parents refuse to cook, clean or drive for their children - Benjamin, 17, and Kit, 12 - until they shape up.

``We've tried reverse psychology, upside down psychology, spiral psychology and nothing has motivated them for any length of time,'' said Cat Barnard, 45, as she sat in a lawn chair at an umbrella-covered table.

Further reading: http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/st...ff/story/0001/20041209/0744052679.htm&sc=1110

i think the parents did the RIGHT thing to do this -- set up tent in front of the house and etc just to get thru to the kids -- i wonder how long would the kids stand it before they give up and make agreements with their parents

wooohooo for mom and dad

I did went on strike for a week few years ago!

Kids and husband and bro in law gulps up! and they cleaned up.. sometime it work sometime it doesn't work

Now.. kids wants go to boys and girls club after school. they have to do their chores daily and homework pass if not then they miss their day nextday.. they dislike our new rules... *tuff*

Wendy

They Need ....

TO CALL NANNY 911 , DONT YOU THINK HUH LIKE THE ONES ON TV :mrgreen:

Thats against the law! Home alone law. 7 years ago a couple in florida were arrested at the airport leaving their 3 children home alone while vacationing in vegas. Police are very seroius enforcing anti home alone laws. Police officers might place parents under arrest with warrents on anti home alone laws.

Last edited:
ravensteve1961 said:
Thats against the law! Home alone law. 7 years ago a couple in florida were arrested at the airport leaving their 3 children home alone while vacationing in vegas. Police are very seroius enforcing anti home alone laws. Police officers might place parents under arrest with warrents on anti home alone laws.
remmy the parents is in front yard of the home...

I agree with this strike 50/50...

reason i disagree with this strike is.. not feeding the kids.. which is somewhat child abuse for not feeding ur own children
i agree with that strike.. making the kids learn their lesson about their responsibility when they move out on their own. but god.. what if that doesn't work and there are ants, snakes, bugs, mice all over the house damage everything?

ravensteve1961 said:

Please re-read Flyfree's post.

The parents didn't leave their children. They set the domed tent in their front driveway.. It means that they stay nearst their children.

Back to topic:

I often heard about this before. I think it's good for the children to learn the lesson BUT it doesn't help sometimes. It depends on different humans who can learn their lesson or not.

Liebling:-))) said:
Please re-read Flyfree's post.

The parents didn't leave their children. They set the domed tent in their front driveway.. It means that they stay nearst their children.
But by not supervising them leaving in their home is somewhate against the law. Suppose the police officers came over their house and warn them theyre breaking the law and just issue them a citation. Will they end the strike and pay the fine? or will they fight the fine and tell the judge its part of tough love?

ravensteve1961 said:

You do not understand this news do you? Maybe be careful reading it and then post. Think before you post ok?

Now back on topic: I agree with what the Mother did, Those children should learn to do chores that is how they learn on their own when they are adults living on their own somedays. :)

most laws says that kids at age 12 and up can be left home alone and Liebling is right -- the article DOES say that the parents are camped out in their front yard not at hotel or anywhere else -- theyre RIGHT there on their front yard!

DeafScuba98 said:
reason i disagree with this strike is.. not feeding the kids.. which is somewhat child abuse for not feeding ur own children

how can it be "child abuse" if the kids are already OLD enuf to nuke up their own food qq theyre 17 and 12 respectively -- they know how to feed themselves at that age and they have that wonderful kitchen gadget called the microwave -- easy enuf for a kid to use at age 12

ravensteve1961 said:
But by not supervising them leaving in their home is somewhate against the law. Suppose the police officers came over their house and warn them theyre breaking the law and just issue them a citation. Will they end the strike and pay the fine? or will they fight the fine and tell the judge its part of tough love?

The parents are THERE. The kids are old enough to be left alone in the house while the parents are somewhere on the property.

It is not called child abuse if parents wont cook for the kids..the kids are 12 and 17. They are way old enough to make their own

Read carefully next time, dude

I totally agree with this idea...doing tough love is essential if nothing else works

LOL

I know how those parents feel, but for myself, I'm not going to do that even if it teach my children to clean up after themselves, I tell them either clean up your mess or you won't be playing out with their friends....and sometimes it works but if I have to often remind them, they know they will be grounded...

yeah

Or take his car away for a week, or ground him from going to thier fav sports or video games things like that, when i wouldnt take the trash or rake the leaves then mom or dad would ground me and my brother and our favorite was going ride our motorcross bikes. they sure got our attention so we hurried up and get it done so we could ride our mtorcross bikes . I agree with Angel becuz if it doesnt work camping on the driveway they still acting so then what.same thing over and over. You have to find ways to get thier attention, not the lazy ways. What do you think guys and gals . :D ohohoh merry christmas everyone.

You wanna make kids do their part? Heres what i do. I punish the kids in their rooms or in a seperate room locked in until they can all agree what jobs theyre agreed to it together" like a jury system" If one says no they stay in that room until they all agree. Like a jury system. They stay in there all day until they made their desision. And when they all agreed together what chores they do jobs around the house. Then they sign a contract with there parents. Now if any rules are volated all the kids will suffer together and the parents will decide what punishment they will all suffer when one of them screws up. Like they do it in the army. If one soldier screws up the whole platoon suffers. Now thats a whole lot better than going on strike and living in a tent.

ravensteve1961 said:
You wanna make kids do their part? Heres what i do. I punish the kids in their rooms or in a seperate room locked in until they can all agree what jobs theyre agreed to it together" like a jury system" If one says no they stay in that room until they all agree. Like a jury system. They stay in there all day until they made their desision. And when they all agreed together what chores they do jobs around the house. Then they sign a contract with there parents. Now if any rules are volated all the kids will suffer together and the parents will decide what punishment they will all suffer when one of them screws up. Like they do it in the army. If one soldier screws up the whole platoon suffers. Now thats a whole lot better than going on strike and living in a tent.

Umm ... The whole PURPOSE of the strike was due to the fact that the kids didn't give a crap about responsibilty or empathy, so your way of handling this wouldn't work! You could put those kids in their rooms for a year, and you wouldn't make a dent in trying to teach them anything. Because, the kids simply DID NOT and DO NOT care!

Nice try, Steve.

ravensteve1961 said:

I am wondering here, ravensteve - do you have children?

I do. Three.

I happen to think that parents going on strike might not be a complete waste of time. Granted, the parents may not be busting their asses 24/7 for the unappreciative little terrors, but a good parent will always, and I mean ALWAYS supervise somewhat what is going on in the home. Even if the parents are sitting on the couch or in a tent on the front driveway, the kids would be "taught a lesson" if it only means they run out of clothes to wear or get hungry. If they run out of clothing, they'll put on dirty ones. If they get hungry, they'll snack on whatever they can find. Eventually though, they'll start to smell like shit, experience a severe diaper rash from not showering, and develop stomachaches from the shit they've been eating.

THEN, they can go to their parents and say, "All right, point taken, Mom and Dad...thank you for everything that you do and we understand what a tough job you guys have in raising us." That, of course, may be a long shot knowing how kids are these days - but a simple thank-you would do.

Good parents would never willingly put their kids in any sort of danger. If it's being done in a neglectful manner, then yes there is a problem, but if the parent is supervising the whole "strike" operation, then I see nothing wrong with teaching the little ones a lesson in whichever way they see fit. :)

Last edited:
Ravensteve,

*ahem*...

Rasing children is not the same thing as joining the army and another thing you do not lock your children in a room for any reason whatsoever, if anyone has caught you do such a thing, u will be charge for child neglect....

When you raise your children you teach them about responsibility to clean up after themselves and etc, you don't scream, swear, force or whatever the hell the army people does, are not the same thing as rasing your children, YOU raise your children by giving them love and attention AND raising your children like an bunch of soliders isn't gonna to help one bit!

I suppose every parents raise their child in a different way but to me its child abuse....

*sigh*

Malfoyish and angel. Its not child abuse. Its psychology. By making kids going to a room like a jury deliberation is making them to decide as a group to which job theyre gonna do together. And by handling punishment like in the army will put it in their heads if i do something stupid others will get angry at me. I when they all agree to do their chores i gurantee you kids will get along and do their jobs. Look at a little league baseball team. Now what happens one player makes a mistake in the game? They all pick on him dont they? Thats what gonna happen if one kid makes a mistake by not doing his chores. They gonna all be punished for it even them two didnt do a thing and theyre gonna pick on him all because he didnt do his job. Try it youll be suprised how well theyre do their chores and it works.I done this to my nephews and my brother and my sister in law never seen their kids behaved so much after they got home from hawaii. But 2 weeks passed they were little brats again and my brother called me and asked me how did i make em behave? His kids begged my brother not to let me come back. So i told him he used my methods and boy they all hate their dad now.

ravensteve1961 said:
Malfoyish and angel. Its not child abuse. Its psychology. By making kids going to a room like a jury deliberation is making them to decide as a group to which job theyre gonna do together. And by handling punishment like in the army will put it in their heads if i do something stupid others will get angry at me. I when they all agree to do their chores i gurantee you kids will get along and do their jobs. Look at a little league baseball team. Now what happens one player makes a mistake in the game? They all pick on him dont they? Thats what gonna happen if one kid makes a mistake by not doing his chores. They gonna all be punished for it even them two didnt do a thing and theyre gonna pick on him all because he didnt do his job. Try it youll be suprised how well theyre do their chores and it works.I done this to my nephews and my brother and my sister in law never seen their kids behaved so much after they got home from hawaii. But 2 weeks passed they were little brats again and my brother called me and asked me how did i make em behave? His kids begged my brother not to let me come back. So i told him he used my methods and boy they all hate their dad now.

I said nothing at ALL about child abuse, ravensteve. NOTHING. I simply say that the parents who are on strike, as long as they are "secretly" supervising their children, whether the kids know it or not, just might be onto something in their methods. They are entitled to exercise any form of "training" they desire, too - as long as it is not neglectful to the child(ren) or puts them in any jeopardy. No one here has the authority to tell these parents how to prove their own point to their own kids. I don't think there's any harm in what they are doing, though.

Anyway, you have your opinion, we have ours. You are more than welcome to test your theory out on your kids or nieces or nephews, too. I'm sure they'll appreciate much of what you have to teach them, too. :rofl:

i think they have been keep tabs on food and stock it up in secretly i mean i do not think they would starve their own kids and 17 years old can cook... but it is embarassement enough for kids i mean not to be responsible in front of parents is okay but in whole school... boy ... they will definitely think twice next time

Ok,,Suppose a kid cause a fire in the kitchen huh? There are things you have to know about cooking. Thats what MOMS! are for! And Daughters are for helping moms drying the dishes after mom cleans them. And sons take out the garbage and go upstairs do their homework.

Back