Modified Signing/Fingerspelling?

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
When you sign a phrase or fingerspell a word, do you change it a little bit so that it's easier to sign or fingerspell?

If so, what words or phrases? How do you modify it?

Here's an example of what I fingerspell.

DVD: Instead of signing 'V' with the thumb over the pinky and ring fingers, I sign 'V' with the thumb touching the tips of the pinky and ring fingers. Why? When I sign 'D', I simply lift the middle finger without moving any other fingers to make the 'V'. When I'm done, I simply lower the middle finger back to where it was to make 'D' again. The reason for this is because it's faster and easier.

Anyone do something like this?

Yes, that's fine to do. Another one I learned from my (born Deaf) ASL prof. was "COKE"...
C-O-K...then for E, just bring the index and middle fingers onto the thumb to form the E. It's kinda like a half-E. I hope that makes sense.
That's the only one I can think of off the top of my head. I'll try to add more if I think of them.

I've seen native signers do that, Niki83, in words that have a V-E combination. I started picking up the habit, and it's nice: saves you from wearing your fingers out. Or it feels like it does anyway.

Is there an alternative way to sign the letter "W"?

I can't touch my thumb to my pinky without curling my ring finger too.
If I try I either end up with what looks like a V or a very strange 4 with a thumb going across the palm.

IqhMj.jpg
Du3nP.jpg

(There's a mirror on the left.)

JwxAy.jpg

(I carefully pinned down my pinky with my thumb, but even then it's tough to get my ring finger to straighten out.)

I'm only a few months into learning ASL so I suppose I could teach my left hand to fingerspell instead.... my dominant hand is my right hand though.

Shimo - Do have a physical condition like CP that causes you to be unable to straighten your finger, or is it just "tight"?

Regardless, consider doing specific hand exercises to help increase your finger and hand strength and flexibility - I know many many ASL teachers who teach warm up exercises as part of their classes.

It's just hard.. I can straighten and bend all of my fingers.

I can sign W and 6 just fine with my left hand, but on my right hand my ring finger wants to do whatever my pinky is doing.

..I can't bend my right pinky without having my ring finger pinky bend too.

Don't feel bad. It's likely your newbie status of learning ASL that's leading to this difficulty.

I have a lot of friends who have the same problem.

Right now, I have a deaf and a hearing nephew. Both are one year apart. The one who is deaf has been learning sign language. He was able to do the ILY sign after doing a lot of ASL learning. His younger brother has a hard time doing it.

Another thing I noticed is that I have deaf friends who can do the "Live Long & Prosper" Vulcan sign (from Spock of Star Trek. A lot of my hearing friends (who don't use their fingers like deaf people do) have a hard time doing this sign.

I guess it's just a matter of how often you use your fingers independently that allows you to do multiple functions.

Practice makes perfect! :thumb:

Weird thing is though, my left hand is just fine making the sign "W" or "6" without the help of my other hand.

I'm probably going to give fingerspelling a break for a week or two -- the W handshape went from being merely uncomfortable/tricky to being inflamed/painful... so I'll give my hand some time to recover.

Weird thing is though, my left hand is just fine making the sign "W" or "6" without the help of my other hand.

I'm probably going to give fingerspelling a break for a week or two -- the W handshape went from being merely uncomfortable/tricky to being inflamed/painful... so I'll give my hand some time to recover.

You do know that you don't actually fold your pinky over to make a "W" right?

Basically all you have to do is take what you have in picture #2 and bring your pinky over a bit so it touches your thumb - if your ring finger moves forward a bit (but stays straight) that's completely fine.

Last edited:
You do know that you don't actually fold you're pinky over to make a "W" right?

Basically all you have to do is take what you have in picture #2 and bring your pinky over a bit so it touches your thumb - if your ring finger moves forward a bit (but stays straight) that's completely fine.

For actual mechanics, if she has the small finger under the thumb, it will cause the fourth finger to be straighter and not bend down like that.

(Lots of experience instructing little signers.)

For actual mechanics, if she has the small finger under the thumb, it will cause the fourth finger to be straighter and not bend down like that.

(Lots of experience instructing little signers.)

Yup,I know - I was referring to them commenting that it was hurting them ... so as a work around I wanted to mention that they technically didn't have to fold (like in #3) the pinky like that for it to be an acceptable "W".

I still think that doing hand exercises (individual fingers, combinations etc) would really be something they need to do to increase strength and flexibility (just like any other muscles)

Yup,I know - I was referring to them commenting that it was hurting them ... so as a work around I wanted to mention that they technically didn't have to fold (like in #3) the pinky like that for it to be an acceptable "W".

I still think that doing hand exercises (individual fingers, combinations etc) would really be something they need to do to increase strength and flexibility (just like any other muscles)
Sorry. Missed that point.

You do know that you don't actually fold you're pinky over to make a "W" right?

They're either both bent or both straight.. I've tried to hold down my pinky with my thumb to straighten out my ring finger only, but in order to do so I have to make an O handshape first, then cramp my thumb onto my pinky, then straighten out the other three fingers.

If I don't pin down my pinky and try to straighten out my ring finger, my pinky stands straight up next to my ring finger, or it will be straight but it will be pointing straight out. Which is how I was practicing W...

Annoyed that I couldn't sign W as fast as my other letters, I practiced every word I could think of with W in it: water, wine, sewer, willow, dawn, witch, world, wendy, wilson, watson, wonka, wurst...etc

But I think doing this totally-straight & poking-out-at-90-degrees pinky move has caused my pinky joints to become inflamed right now..

I have to give it a rest: it hurts to press on the keyboard with it, but it should be back to normal in a week or two...

I recall reading a while back that one should avoid doing signs that cause discomfort. I think I may indeed switch to left-handed fingerspelling... I can't fingerspell with my right hand right now anyway :hmm:

It could be that the muscles of the right hand are overdeveloped from some other activity such as typing, texting, gaming, or work-related tasks, therefore making certain movements more difficult.

With practice, your muscle groups may adapt. If not, don't stress about it. How often does your signing depend on a perfect W or 6?

i bad speller as you all may have noticed,but in bsl shorten words or half spell half sign but like everything you pick up on it quickly.i often do that cos arthritis

i have similar problem i am ambedexterious (sorry my spelling is bad) and i am left dominate for signing but the w handshape is painful and i cant straighten my fingers for 8 handshape with my left hand, right hand is fine no pain can do all numbers and letters but less dexterity with going from letter to letter or number to number. i have come across some other new signers with this issue seems the hand they write with seems to reject some handshapes. its getting better now its been about two years for me now but if i dont make the handshapes for a while its hard again

Back