Model Died From Anorexia.

The*Empress

Reaction score
Brazil model who battled anorexia dies 1 hour, 14 minutes ago

r520205512.jpg

SAO PAULO, Brazil - A 21-year-old anorexic model who weighed only 88 pounds has died of generalized infection, a hospital said. Ana Carolina Reston, who had worked in China, Turkey, Mexico and Japan for several modeling agencies, died Tuesday, according to Sao Paulo's Servidor Publico Hospital.

The hospital said the infection that killed the 5-foot-8-inch model was caused by anorexia nervosa, a disorder characterized by an abnormal fear of becoming obese, an aversion to food and severe weight loss.

"Take care for your children because their loss is irreparable," Reston's mother, Miriam, told the O Globo newspaper. "Nothing can make the pain go away. No money in the world is worth the life of your child."

Reston began her modeling career at the age of 13 after winning a local beauty contest in her hometown of Jundiai, on the outskirts of Sao Paulo.

"I noticed something was wrong when she returned from Japan," Miriam told the Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper. "She was too thin when she returned and when I told her to eat something, she would say: 'Mom please don't fight with me; there is nothing wrong with me, I'm fine.'"

The model's cousin, Dani Grimaldi, told the Estado de Sao Paulo newspaper that Reston also battled bulimia, an eating disorder marked by binge eating that is followed by vomiting or the use of laxatives.

The world of high fashion and modeling has long been targeted by critics who say it encourages women and girls to emulate rail-thin models.

In September, a Spanish fashion show responded to such criticism by banning models with a body mass index of less than 18. Body mass index is a calculation doctors normally apply to study obesity, and anyone with an index below 18.5 is considered underweight.

Reston would have had a body mass index of 13.4 at the time of her death, according to a calculator on the Web site of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Yeah, very sadly about Model ! ! Im glad that Im not model anymore. I was model for 3 months when I was young in NYC. Im telling you... it isn't very pleasure..cuz of BIG competition! Somehow, boss just bothered me as little flirt. Then I decided to quit. That isnt safe for me to thru.. ya know ? That is very scary.

M-:afro:

That is what I dont understand. Models like Cindy Crawford and Kathy Ireland are good role models cuz they are very healthy looking but it seems that these days the "enamicated" look is in and I see pic of skeletal models or actresses and they scare me! To me, they remind me of death and dont look attractive at all! I dont know what the entertainment industry sees in having that "look". They think it is attractive?

That is sad that she died when it was uneccessary, but aneroxia is a mental disease and very very hard to recover from. I have known people who have battled this disease and they "recover" but they have expressed to me that even after 5 or 10 years of being healthy, the urge to give into the disease is still as strong as ever especially when they see all the images of super thin women. They said they have to battle it everytime they eat. I was shocked cuz I thought once u recover, it is over but it seems like the mental games they go through about body image daily is very difficult for them to deal with.

Of course I would love to have a thin and firm body but to me it is not worth getting sick over . I just have to exercise and eat healthy and be the best with what I have and be as positive about my shape.

I don't know why Models have to starve themselves thin just to
show us pretty clothes.

That's sad, it takes a person to walk a miles in her shoes, as I've once done the same thing...

I don't know why Models have to starve themselves thin just to
show us pretty clothes.

Before you assume why some models starve themselves just to fit in those pretty clothes, it could be from vary of reasons as many teenagers girls feel they're overweight or being judge on their weight issue and etc....

Walk the mile in their shoes?

Why people always say that?

Yeah, people would do anything for money or something else.

It is very very sad....

Walk the mile in their shoes?

Why people always say that?

I've always say never criticize or judge anyone until you put yourself in their place first because, if you are not walking in someone's shoes, how do you know the real reason why this model starve herself or assume that she did it to fit in these clothes? and how can you judge her when you don't even know her personally?.when judging someone, at the same time , mentally put yourself in her position and try to see why this model did what she did then you may understand the truth behind it all and what she had gone through phycially and emotionally....

She may have need help for all I know, since aneroxia is a seriously disease and it's no fun going through it...

Sad!

I agreed with ^Angel^

My aunt think her last baby (Tammy) is also Anorexia or belumia (sp). I can tell in the picture she sent me earlier this week. Tammy look AWFUL! I told my aunt that Tammy look awful in the picture. Auntie said now way worst. Tammy won't accept and get help. She told me she look so awful. I told her that I think she won't admit it and she could hit hard and realized that she is sick and need help. She agreed with me. So my aunt back out and let her go... Tammy blame on everyone. So my aunt had enuff with bs and stresses. I told her you did a right thing and focus on her health.

It is so sad to see women and even men being anorexia and belumia (sp). :(

I know what you are saying...

But she was very pretty... and there are million of jobs out there
and allllll the doors of opportunities are opening....

I don't know what it is like to be BEAUTIFUL...
But I do know that someone that pretty can easy get good and high
salary career.

It is not like MODELING is a matter of life or death.

If being a model is too tough, why do it? Why not go to acting school
to be an actress, or marry a RICH MAN....

I know that anorexia and bulimia are diseases, but all of these MODELS
need to be put in the MENTAL INSTITUTION right NOW!!!!!!!
Somebody need to FORCE FEED THESE MODELS....
THEY ARE YOUNG AND they don't know BETTER, we OLD PEOPLE
NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT BEFORE it is TOO LATE!!!!!!!!!

I don't understand why people do this. They need help. They shouldn't be modeling.

Modeling agencies should have weekly or monthly health tests for those who seem to be at risk.

Sad and They re some only way make money to be model! Afraid loses job with little overweight! :(:(:(

I don't understand why people do this. They need help. They shouldn't be modeling.

Modeling agencies should have weekly or monthly health tests for those who seem to be at risk.

That is a dirty secret that I learned from my friend whose brother owns a modeling agency in NYC about the so called "health" tests. I dont know what exactly goes on but according to my friend, there is an unspoken rule if models gains more than 5 lbs than their current weight, they wont get the jobs. The models are under constant pressure to be underweight in order to get more contracts. It is wrong but that is the dark secret of such a "glamorous" job.

Maybe with more awareness, the agencies will take action and change things? Let's hope so!

[/QUOTE] Why do we need MODELS anyway?

Why can't we just buy some clothes at Walmart?[/QUOTE]

They even have models for Walmart clothes...

I came across this article recently and agree with the fact that this anorexic issue is getting out of hand.

The stunning size 12 model branded 'too fat' for TV competition | the Daily Mail

Women need to accept the fact that they look good, no matter what. Sure, some women may have some meat on their bones... be a bit plump or chubby... wear size 12, 14, or 20 clothes... but they still look fine.

In the article, the woman on top is size 12 and they say that she's "too fat". If you look at the woman on the bottom, she's ugly enough to make me barf.

i agree with you, vampy.. its getting way out of the hand.. gosh.. the skinny model look ugly with the bones sticking out?? when the size 12 model look beautiful and very curvy.. i hope they will change that.. one day....

My gosh! The woman on the bottom looks scary!!! I prefer to be a size 12!!!

Why do we need MODELS anyway?

Why can't we just buy some clothes at Walmart?

Yes, But U have to understand "competition" hot word ! They dont care what they are thinking, They do care is "looking"

Today here in USA is horrible- look at girl teenagers. What the heck they are thinking ?

M-:afro:

Back