MMR - Australian VRS

JClarke

AD Veteran
Premium Member
Reaction score
See article DeafTimes :: Article

I saw the website, not impressed on the way it presents, and they are not ready either.

Maybe they'll start distributing VPs in the Deaf community in Australia soon at no charge?

They are not planning to, it feels they would charge us unless the gov't would be willing to give a good fund, I won't get anything from them becuase I already have a few videophones for myself, and I have the software from Viable on my laptop which won't be a problem.

MMR (Multi-Media Response Service) said:
ACE (Australian Communications Exchange) also wants to highlight the challengers of providing a comprehensive 24 hours Per Day/7 Days Per Week service. These challengers are:

* current limitations of Internet broadband speeds
* lack of appropriately trained interpreters
* how this service could be funded

I think that they should get more VRS centers in other cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Darwin, and other cities which include lots of interpreters. Suppose to ask more funds from Australian Communications & Media Authority (ACMA) which is the rough equivalent of FCC for paying VRS.
I know that lots of Australian deaf people can't afford to pay for too costly high speed internet approx. $80 or less.

MMR service is four hours per day in Monday-Friday. not enough time.

I remembered that SorensonVRS hourly limited were between 10 am and 11pm
last five years ago. Callers waited to answer VRS between 15 min and one hours. too bad but Lots of VRS are better and faster service.

Last edited:
MMR (Multi-Media Response Service) said:
ACE (Australian Communications Exchange) also wants to highlight the challengers of providing a comprehensive 24 hours Per Day/7 Days Per Week service. These challengers are:

* current limitations of Internet broadband speeds
* lack of appropriately trained interpreters
* how this service could be funded

I think that they should get more VRS centers in other cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Perth, Darwin, and other cities which include lots of interpreters. Suppose to ask more funds from Australian Communications & Media Authority (ACMA) which is the rough equivalent of FCC for paying VRS.
I know that lots of Australian deaf people can't afford to pay for too costly high speed internet approx. $80 or less.

MMR service is four hours per day in Monday-Friday. not enough time.

I remembered that SorensonVRS hourly limited were between 10 am and 11pm
last five years ago. Callers waited to answer VRS between 15 min and one hours. too bad but Lots of VRS are better and faster service.

It is just the beginning of the new VRS emerging before our very eyes, but what not impressed me was the limitations and 4 hours per day? C'mon! What Chevy57 just said, I agree, they need some centres around australia, not in one massive centre which is obviously, located in Brisbane, and if it was a 24/7 it would have clogged their servers, they NEED a HUGE server where these people can contact the VRS service, but few centres across the national would help, such as Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, and Perth - why these 4 cities? We do not need Adelaide (if necessary) nor Canberra, (where I am located from) becuase if they can call VRS, the internet service can locate the closest centre, for example, like myself, I can locate my VRS centre in Sydney, cause i am only 3 hours away and that is no probem at all.

Another limitations is the interpreter availability, we have over 400 interpreters national wide. Is it enough?

JClarke said, Another limitations is the interpreter availability, we have over 400 interpreters national wide. Is it enough? not good enough. RID (Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf) have approx. 12,000 members in all 50 states of America. Require more students in school to take sign language courses.

SorensonVRS have under 100 VRS centers in all states and are 10 to 12 or more video interpreting rooms in each center.

What time limited for MMR s four hours per day service? After MMR s starting in November 27, you will use VPAD to call any hearing people by VRS.

Yeah, I did. it sent to my gmail acct, where I have no access to it at work. Will check it out tonight,

Just had a look on the website and yes I am not impressed how they implemented video technology for the Deaf.

Look they use SIP protocol and I wonder where is the H.323? Dlink videophones and many other VRS products in the States only uses the H323. VPAD is the only execption as they uses both.

MVP H.323 as far I am concerned and I am not sure about others?

I would call ACE and tell them to go back to their drawing board.

I am in consulation with ACE within my business of VP Communications. They will open the h.323 soon -- since a lot of australian deafies uses Dlink DVC 1000

Deafaussie, JClarke will try to use VPAD to contact MMR (VRS) for testing call. He will explain about it soon.

Yes, that's right. Once I have a VPAD in my office, will do some testing with MMR VRS, just remember, they are just in the beginning of the trial. It takes time, no need to accuse them straight away. But need a lot of research, yes.

Yes, that's right. Once I have a VPAD in my office, will do some testing with MMR VRS, just remember, they are just in the beginning of the trial. It takes time, no need to accuse them straight away. But need a lot of research, yes.

Did your IT tech fix firewall system for your webcam?

Have to be patient though... the internet gateway for Viable Vision needs to be dealt with as well.

Just downloaded MMX softphone application and has installed in my work computer. Amazed to see its not functioning, not being able to sign in. Have you guys in Australia signed in successfully? IP blockage?

I have Viable Vision, Sorenson and HOVRS VideoSign 2.5 installed in my PC and worked really well behind my company's firewall. Network engineer has set up in Cisco firewall appliance just for me which only NAT to my work PC.

JClarke, I can provide you the configuration file for your IT people that uses the H323 and SIP protocol. Only if your employer uses the Cisco. Good luck!

Back