Mitt Romney purges data from his governorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

saywhatkid

Huked on fonix werx!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Source via YahooNews

Shortly before leaving the governor's office in Massachusetts, Mitt Romney's administration spent nearly $100,000 of state money to purge computer and email records in an unprecedented attempt to wipe out the paper trail of his tenure. His staff took home hard drives from state-owned computers and erased emails and other communications from state servers, complicating current efforts to retrieve and review the records of Romney's four-year term that ended in 2007.

It is not believed that Romney violated any laws, but according to state officials who spoke to Reuters, the move to scrub the digital archive of his administration was unusually thorough. Several members of his staff used their own money to purchase the hard drives of their state computers so that they could take them home after leaving their jobs. The staff also broke an existing lease on office equipment so that they could rent new "clean" computers at the end of their run, a move that cost the state $97,000 in additional funds.

Romney claims that whatever record remains of his time in office — including possible details of what was erased — are not subject to state disclosure laws. However, like regulations governing the destruction of digital records, Massachusetts law is vague on what is and isn't allowed. The court ruling most likely to cover any disclosure ruling is from 1997 (well before most state business was done on email) and the state's official records law has not been updated to deal with digital records, meaning Romney could benefit from Massachusetts' failure to adapt to the 21st Century.

The loss or potential sealing of Romney's Massachusetts records could become a huge issue in 2012, should he secure the Republican nomination. Those were the only four years that Romney ever spent in public office and how he ran his state will be a focal point of scrutiny for both voters and the media, particularly when it comes to the passage of his state health care law. Several news organizations are already working through freedom of information requests in the hope of combing through the historical record, but any legal complications regarding the release of those records — or the fact that many of them no longer exist — could delay any formal accounting of Romney's tenure until it's too late to make any difference. Sounds like that's just the way he would like it.
Thoughts?

Source via YahooNews

Thoughts?

This is very common in government. I am not surprised, nor do I have a problem with it. This is simply a case of someone (most likely Newt) paying off a media outlet to stir up suspicion. This Republican field is willing to do anything to get into office . . .

This is very common in government. I am not surprised, nor do I have a problem with it. This is simply a case of someone (most likely Newt) paying off a media outlet to stir up suspicion. This Republican field is willing to do anything to get into office . . .

Yeah, then when it is all over, they act like drinking buddies.

Yeah, then when it is all over, they act like drinking buddies.

It's just a game to them anyway: So who's gonna get to fuck over the American public for the next four/eight years? Newt? Obama? Cool!

"Ah, hey congrats! No hard feelings for sleeping with your wife and trying to ruin your reputation, right? See ya at the next Bohemian Grove camp!"

It's just a game to them anyway: So who's gonna get to fuck over the American public for the next four/eight years? Me! no, me! no, me! And candidate "such and such" wins!

"Ah, hey congrats! No hard feelings for sleeping with your wife and trying to ruin your reputation, right? See ya at the next Bohemian Grove camp!"

Yeah. "Sorry your son is gonna look like me."

Actually read about this a couple of weeks ago. One of his former aids was talking about it.

Oh, wait...that might have been Rick Perry I was reading about. Wiped hard drives, and then actually had people he knew purchase the old computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back