Miss Deaf Texas struck by train, killed

Momoftwo , I think you need to take a good look at CODAchild's signature banner.

Heath said:
CODAchild's post was a very :gpost:
:ty: Heath, I really appreciate that!!!! You used a word that I totally agree with "respect". You're right Heath, we need to pray and have some respect for this family. :hug:

CODAchild said:
:ty: Heath, I really appreciate that!!!! You used a word that I totally agree with "respect". You're right Heath, we need to pray and have some respect for this family. :hug:

Yes, Thank you CODAchild

Heath said:
Momoftwo , I think you need to take a good look at CODAchild's signature banner.

:D Wow!! Are you on the ball Heath, I didn't even stop and think about the banner. You're right. Thanks for targeting on that!!! :hug:

Yes you are welcome, CODAchild I had not noticed that for the whole time I was on AD until now, probably because I am a guy and I really thought that was something very good and that was exactly what Momoftwo needed to see. :) :thumb:

Last edited:
prostock19 said:
Why don't you ask the railroader who works on trains EVERYDAY!

I can't feel a train until it is actually going by. Especially at hight speeds, you don't feel it. You can, if you're hearing, hear the rails "sing" to you about 30 seconds, maybe less, before it comes. That is it. With todays continuous welded rail, it is harder to feel and hear the trains.

For all those that say suicide, she would be standing in the middle of the track if it was suicide, not just outside the track. That is how people commit suicide by train. I have talked to people that have experienced it. OR, they lay with their head across the rail. She was walking away from the train.

Don't make these accusations if you don't know they are true. Base everything on the FACTS. She Texted her mom, saying she was taking a shortcut (very illegal shortcut) down the railroad tracks.
Absolutely correct!

In South Carolina, many train v. pedestrian fatalities are because the casualty was lying on the tracks! I don't know if they fell asleep drunk or wanted to end it all but it is true.

The train v. vehicles are usually people who try to beat the train at the crossing, stop or get stuck on the crossing, or stop too close to the tracks. Too many people think that if they don't actually touch the tracks that they are far enough away from getting hit by the train. They don't think about far out the train engine hangs over the sides of tracks.

I don't think anyone means disrespect when they say her actions were stupid; that doesn't mean the girl herself was stupid.

The nature of teens is carelessness, recklessness, "nothing bad can happen to me" attitude, immaturity, and not thinking about long-term consequences. Those attitudes result in actions that we might call "stupid". That doesn't mean we don't care about the person or sorrow over their deaths.

It was a horrible tragedy for everyone involved; the girl's family and friends, the train crew and their families, the witnesses, the EMS, the police--awful.

If there is anything positive to result, let's hope that other people's lives will be saved thru more awareness of train and track hazards.

Tara McAvoy's Funeral

Mission Funeral Home
204 South First St.
Austin, Texas

3/17/06 - Friday: 12 noon to 9pm (7 to 9 pm interpreting service provided)

3/18/06 - Saturday:
9 am to 10 am - Viewing
10 am to 12 pm - speakers/priest
12 pm reception - same place

http://www.taramcavoy.com

Reba said:
I don't think anyone means disrespect when they say her actions were stupid; that doesn't mean the girl herself was stupid.

The nature of teens is carelessness, recklessness, "nothing bad can happen to me" attitude, immaturity, and not thinking about long-term consequences. Those attitudes result in actions that we might call "stupid". That doesn't mean we don't care about the person or sorrow over their deaths.

It was a horrible tragedy for everyone involved; the girl's family and friends, the train crew and their families, the witnesses, the EMS, the police--awful.

If there is anything positive to result, let's hope that other people's lives will be saved thru more awareness of train and track hazards.

Yes, this is what I mean - same as her comment - that's what I mean.

Unfortunately, some of people on this board misunderstood me. The problem is the words. I asked other hearing people - some are strong christians and said that it is their misunderstanding. I am NOT talking about this woman who was "stupid" as a person. No, it was her action - careless.

Reba understood me. Reba is a very strong christian.

Thanks, Reba for explaining more clearly!:)

CodaChild and Heath- I'm sorry you misunderstood me. I hope Reba's post helped u understand better.:)

Take care!:)

For CodaChild

Hi Donna!!!

I am sorry that you misunderstood me. I already posted in alldeaf. This is what Reba said - exactly what I mean. Unforuntately, some of people and you misunderstood me. That is another reason why I don't post in alldeaf very much - only regilious a little bit about the bible verses, my experiences, etc but other stuffs that I will not want to be involved because some people can be misunderstanding very easily and cause big arguments. That's not my thing. But on this issue about the young deaf woman, it really upsetted me so much and the media made me angry. I hate the medias!!

Of course, I do respect this woman and her family!! But unforunately, some people misunderstood me then it got heated up.

I really hope you understand what Reba said. This is exactly what I mean by Reba's explanation! Her explanation is so much better than mine. I couldn't find the right words to make some people understand better.

I hope you were never mad at me while you misunderstood me. I was never making you, Heath, etc mad. The problem was your misunderstanding. That's what happened. I'm really sad that some of people who are angry at me while they were misunderstanding me. It's really shame. sigh....

I told my husband about alldeaf people who gave me a hard time while they kept misunderstanding me and my husband said, "they don't get it, they don't understand you, let them go and forget it". Only God understood me and also Reba understood me.

I am very sorry you felt this way about me but you really misunderstood me. I hope now you understand what Reba said. This is what I mean by Reba's explanation. I am so thankful to have Reba on this board! Because I am not that kind of person as you thought in the first place. So, that's why it's better for me not to be involved in this board very much - only regilious - very simple. Reba knows me and she and I are friends and she helped me when people misunderstood me. Misunderstanding causes people angry while it was never meant to be. It's so hard to explain to you.

If you refuse to speak to me, I am very sorry you felt this way.

Take care!

If she use Sidekick, it ought to be blame, because these make her totally addict. :-/

Close/Lock this thread

Mods,

I respectfully request this thread to be closed/locked. Posts are getting out of control and off the point. Some of them, I feel, are disrespectful. To assume that she committed suicide is totally disrespectful - Tara's dead and she deserves the respect she deserves.

Thanks,
Sean

campsean said:
Mods,

I respectfully request this thread to be closed/locked. Posts are getting out of control and off the point. Some of them, I feel, are disrespectful. To assume that she committed suicide is totally disrespectful - Tara's dead and she deserves the respect she deserves.

Thanks,
Sean

YES!! I agree with you!! This is out of control! Moderator, please lock this thread! Thanks!:)

RIP

It was God's calling her to come home, it was her time to go home. Very sad for her family and friends.

Mom of two, u know not only young people walk near track. I live near track and I walk by side of track (not too close) often. I am aware of the danger but u never know when it strike against u alike Tara or others even u are being careful, still happen to u. Only God make the deicison when it is time for us to come home.

I think I understand why some hearies may find a funny joke...
I just found it from online media chat (Q/A with reporter)...

~~~~~~
Frederick, Md*.: Okay, this is a serious question about a healthy vs. unhealy sense of humor. Saw this on CNN.com just now -

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The reigning Miss Deaf Texas died after being struck by a train, officials said.

A witness told Austin television station KTBC the train sounded its horn right up until the accident occurred.

I cringed, but couldn't help but find it a little funny. I honestly think it is a little funny. Am I sick? Do I need help? You're the professional...

Gene : WOW.

Uh, no it is not funny.

It might be funny in about seven weeks. Though not in Texas. That will take about a year and two weeks.

There are very specific rules about time and distance. Only professional humorists know them.

~~~~

*That is pretty strange why the Frederick town has strong deaf community and state school for the deaf...

Hey CodaChild, I stand with you 100% I understand what you're saying and I said the same thing. My heart goes out to the families of Tara's and friends of Tara's. I do wish I could fly to Austin, Texas to pay respect for her families and friends. God bless her and rest her soul.

Momoftwo said:
There are so awful comments by many hearing people about deaf people in the AOL post thoughts!!! So awful!!! like....deaf people are dumb, satan got the deaf girl into hell eternal, etc. It really disgusted me!!!!!! Thanks a lot to the media!!!!!!!!!!! Because this media made many hearing people thinking deaf people are dumb!!!!!!!! because I read so many awful comments by hearing people about deaf people!!!! disgusting!!!

Hey, this girl walked along the railroad path and it was 10 feet away from the railroad to where she was walking. I couldn't believe it. That wasn't very smart thing to do - yes, it was very stupid thing to do. It is not because she was dumb because she was deaf. No! Hearing and deaf people made stupid things to do. So, it seems to me that it was her suicide secret. I am not sure. It still really upsets me!!!!!! I still don't understand why she walked way too close to the railroad!!!!!!! sigh!
did you post in the aol post exactly what you just typed here? I hope you did. Hearing and Deaf are same thing ..

Umm Im puzzled about something...I know this poor unfortunate young girl didnt hear this train coming down the tracks but didnt she "feel" the vibrations of the powerful train coming down the tracks?? surely anybody could! I can feel the vibrations even sitting in my car outside the tracks waiting for it to pass! surely you guys can feel that too, right? so im confused...
another thing..was she walking on inside the tracks or outside the tracks?
anyways, God bless her soul and she was beautiful young girl too! so sad :tears:

I don't know, Defee but I think we feel a lot less while we are moving/walking. Plus she was off the tracks a foot or so (the snow plow sticks 16 inches out from the tracks) and most likely on large gravel, too.

May this girl rest in peace and her family also have a peace that passeth all understanding.

Back