Miss Deaf Texas struck by train, killed

My condolences to Tara, her family and her friends. She was only 18. Too young to die.

Eyeth said:
I don't think that is the case. I think it's the fact that she's 'Miss Deaf Texas' is what made her tragic death 'newsworthy' in the eyes of many major news outlets.

Yes, you have a valid point otherwise.

Thats called the "White Woman's Syndrome".

Richard

EDGE said:
What make McAvoy return home from Gallaudet? There are many reason why she wasn't able to continue for next quarter? All I thought that someone send her to death path.

It is Gally's spring break. Not saying for sure that's why she came home, but it would make sense.

Update: Apparently she was using a pager when she got hit.

The article

Authorities investigating the death of the reigning Miss Deaf Texas, who was struck by a train as she walked along its track in South Austin, said today that she was hit by the train's snowplow as she walked about a foot away from its track.

"As the train approached, they sounded the horn and got no response," said Austin police Det. David Fugitt. "They activated the emergency brakes but were unable to stop in time."

Fugitt said he did not yet know the speed of the train when it struck Tara Rose McAvoy, 18, or the distance it traveled after the conductor spotted McAvoy.

He said the snowplow extended about 16 inches from the train on both sides.

Fugitt said McAvoy, who graduated from the Texas School for the Deaf in 2005 and won a state pageant in June, had been exchanging text messages with friends and family shortly before the accident near West Oltorf Street and Thornton Road.

She was walking to her mother's place of employment and had sent a message that she was taking a path along the train tracks, Fugitt said. Her father apparently was going to pick her up when he saw emergency crews at the scene.

Oh gee.. No wonder why she using pager... not even pay attention the train already set light on...
Oh boyee..

Pager isn't fun.. have to watch carefully as same driving...

downing said:
ok. why need a snowplow train in Texas... I find this to be very Odd.

Austin, Texas is way north and they do get snow once in a while but not from where I was born in Houston. No snow that much at all. I know Austin gets some more snow because Austin, Tx is closer to Oklahoma but you are right... yeah I am going huh ???

I would guess that they were transporting the train snowplow to a train depot/storage for the rest of the year. Perhaps the only way to do this is to ride on the tracks to the train depot/storage.

Such a terrible tragedy.

May Tara now enjoy the company of Angels, the companionship of the Saints, the rewards of Heaven, and the eternal peace of our loving God.

My prayers are with her and her family throughout this difficult time.

I know the feeling on both sides here. Many people are affected by this tragedy...Tara's Family and Friends, Engineer and his Family, and the Conductor and his Family. After this, I want to work on talking to people more about rail safety...Deaf and Hearing. Please people, in Tara's memory, stay away from railroad property. Not only is it dangerous, it's illegal.

A young woman

committed suicide? Just my hunch. I feel for her family and friends.

Oh no this is a terrible tradegy. :( May Tara rest in peace. She was indeed beautiful...

Rip tara. I watched the tv news and I saw her father was so upset and banged the railroad cross board bar in a few times. My sympathy to her family and tsd friend who lost her friendship. She will not be forgetten til we meet her. I used to work for texas deaf pageant event in years ago.

Heath,
Let me correct u.. Austin is not way up north of texas. It is in the central state of tx. Panhandle and dallas are way up north and usually get snow or slick of sleet=snow in the winter time. Rose was killed when the weather was warm and NICE breezed. The temp is 75 degree since last week!

downing said:
ok. why need a snowplow train in Texas... I find this to be very Odd.
All north american locomotives come with snowplows. That is because all the railroads run in all different weather. So, every locomotive is built with a snowplow.

Attachments

• snowplow.jpg
    snowplow.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 26
prostock19 said:
All north american locomotives come with snowplows. That is because all the railroads run in all different weather. So, every locomotive is built with a snowplow.

Prostock,
May I ask u why the train comes with snowplow in texas even tho doesn't have any snow down here? Nor they didn't have a time to remove it before coming to south? My curiousity... I never like to walk on the tracks. The train's whistle scares me out shxt of my pants lol

Back