Military Signs (ASL)

lifted

Reaction score
Giving a presentation about my family tomorrow and need to figure out how to sign that my brother used to be in the Navy. I found a sign for "navy" but not sure if it is the color or the military branch as it doesn't say?? Sign for NAVY | ASL Sign Language Video Dictionary

"Army" American Sign Language (ASL) And then this has the sign for "military", but it seems to imply "army". I need to sign Navy.

Help? :shock:

Navy military branch, one sign is the open hands down pointing, go down each leg while widening out towards the bottom.

It represents the bell bottom trousers worn in the Navy.

Do you have to bend over a bit to do the sign? Trying to see if I am imagining this properly...

The problem is, there is more than one sign for Navy. If in doubt about which sign is commonly used in your location, spell it. The members of the deaf community will give you the correct sign for your area.

Some signs that I've seen:

1. SALUTE initialized with an N (mainstreamer use).

2. ASLPRO.com version (I've seen it only at their website, not in real life).

3. Signingsavvy.com version (refering to the 13-button bell bottoms) is the traditional sign; most common.

4. Initialized version of the Signingsavvy sign, with the letter N (mainstreamer sign).

5. http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/N/W2459.htm

Those are all signs for the military branch, the U.S. Navy. That sign is not for the color navy blue. Different concept.

Last edited:
Back