Memorial monument for Jewish deaf victims of the nazi regime

LDNanna

Premium Member
Reaction score
Memorial monument for Jewish Deaf victims of the nazi regime - Jewish Deaf Community Center

Sunday, October 17 at 14.00 hr. a monument will be unveiled in Amsterdam in memory of all the Jewish Deaf victims of the nazi regime. The unveiling will be done by Anna Vos-van Dam (the only Dutch deaf survivor of Auschwitz) together with Hedy d’Ancona (former politician).

As far as we know, this will be the only monument for Deaf Jews in the world that will be placed in public space.
The monument is situated in the same district as the Auschwitz monument, the Jewish Historical Museum, The 16th century Portuguese synagogue, the Hollandsche Schouwburg (which is the former theatre where all Jews were gathered by the nazis) and the Resistance Museum.

The monument will be placed near the former deaf school J.C. Ammanschool, from where deaf Jewish children and teachers were taken away by the nazis.

Good to point out to people who don't believe the deaf were targets.

A large number of deaf people were killed during the holocaust. It's a shame that they were overshadowed by the others. I feel like they are the forgotten minority.

A large number of deaf people were killed during the holocaust. It's a shame that they were overshadowed by the others. I feel like they are the forgotten minority.

Yes, I recently watched the See Hear program from a few years ago on the Deaf Holocaust. Pretty horrific stuff. Hitler was killing the Deaf and disabled long before the concentration camps were set up. That's where they first learned the techniques for mass killings, which they later used at the concentration camps.

Yes, I recently watched the See Hear program from a few years ago on the Deaf Holocaust. Pretty horrific stuff. Hitler was killing the Deaf and disabled long before the concentration camps were set up. That's where they first learned the techniques for mass killings, which they later used at the concentration camps.

I once met a holocaust victim. She was hearing, but she grew up in a deaf family. They hid out, but eventually they got busted and transported to a camp. They were torn apart and never to be seen again during the holocaust.

I once met a holocaust victim. She was hearing, but she grew up in a deaf family. They hid out, but eventually they got busted and transported to a camp. They were torn apart and never to be seen again during the holocaust.

Very sad. And what's sadder still is that there are millions of stories just like this. :(

thanks for sharing that link, Nanna
this huge massacre of all the various people is very sad-:(:(

Must check out the monument when I visit Holland again.
Glad to hear there's now a memorial for deaf victims of the Holocaust.

Back