Meeting the hearing parents

rockinlife

Reaction score
This weekend I'm meeting my boyfriends hearing parents... I'm so nervous!!! I hope they like me enough. Anybody have any advice?

If you're going to eat you could bring something or some flowers for the mother . Is your b/f hearing of deaf?

Be yourself around them. :) I also agree with whatdidyousay!. Bringing a small gift for his parents would paint an image of gratitude and graciousness. Good luck!

IF you're going to eating there try to sit so you can everyone face and hope they do not all talk at once. And if you do misunderstand something try to laugh it off . I had some very funny conversation happen when this happen to me. I was talking to a neighbor about the birds in our yard and my neighbor said she saw some goldfinches and I thought she said "goldfish and was thinking I wonder how they got here . LOL !

Good luck on meeting his parents as you have a hearing boyfriend. Make sure they are not treating you like non-person or child. Just be friendly. I just hope your boyfriend is not taking over your life. You have a right to be your own person. :)

Do you and your boyfriend use sign language? If not, what work for us at the beginning, was a white board, colorful markers with the eraser. I always make sure I know what the topic of the discussion is. Knowing the topic is a huge help for me and so much easier with lipreading.

Simply have fun , let humor take over , as an ice breaker before dinner , tell them you read lips well, but with food it gets messy- they will " get it" and often will remind themselves to swallow before saying anything - worked like a charm for me

meeting the parents can be off putting but if he loves you they will to

"Reminds me of the movie "Meet the Parents"....:lol:....have met many of my boys g/f's...they are hearing and I'm the deaf one....so guessing, they too, were very nervous....Some I liked, some I didn't...especially if they came over half-dressed or hanging all over my son....But no matter, courtesy goes a long way....

One girl came over :giggle:...with a pair of the tightest jeans I'd ever seen...low cut and could see the outline of her arse....We had planned to go out for dinner....so I pulled my son over to the side and said..."she needs a blouse or longer shirt"....so I found her one. He didn't bring her around after that....

yep much the same as me rr..don't think we helped poor girls nerves though

She broke the "circle of trust"...:giggle:...to find out she was cheating with Gaylord Focker.....and kicked Jingles, the cat...

When one marries, you marry the family for better or for worse. Sometimes the families are warm and welcoming and sometimes they pretend to be warm welcoming. My spouse was of retirement age when we married. I didn't learn about the family secret. Everyone pretended that everything was wonderful.

Six individuals with four masters degree, and two bachelor degrees could not forgive the sibling who had a lifelong stutter. These siblings went to church twice a week for 70 years and never learned a thing about Christ or HIS message to the world.

I'm not religious; I've never have been, but I have read several books on world religions, history of religion, and the lost Scriptures. I've read the religious books of a few denominations, and I've been to services of a few.

I am not opposed to religion, or to what others believe. The last thing my spouse ever said was sad, "My family never liked me. My spouse was right.

Back