Meeting someone new

There's no reason he should talk to you just because you barely know ASL. It's not necessarily some buddy-buddy international society like the freemasons.

:laugh2: I used to introduce myself to deaf that way when I first started learning sign. What can I say? I just didn't know any better. :dunno2:
One of my classmates has a Deaf friend, and the two of them were in a restaurant one day when suddenly someone came up to them and signed very hesitantly something along the lines, "I'm learning ASL and it's nice to meet you." Then she smiled and walked away. The Deaf fellow was baffled and asked, "Why did she tell me that?"

One of my classmates has a Deaf friend, and the two of them were in a restaurant one day when suddenly someone came up to them and signed very hesitantly something along the lines, "I'm learning ASL and it's nice to meet you." Then she smiled and walked away. The Deaf fellow was baffled and asked, "Why did she tell me that?"

LOL! Something similiar like that happened to my brother when we went tubing. A lady came up to him and signed very slowing "A....B......C....and D..." and walked away. My brother was like "huh????"

To the OP....would every hearing person be inclided to be as excited if I went up to them saying that I can speak in Spoken English? They probably would look at me like I was nuts or something. Not every deaf person would be responsive and that is normal.

To the OP....would every hearing person be inclided to be as excited if I went up to them saying that I can speak in Spoken English? They probably would look at me like I was nuts or something. Not every deaf person would be responsive and that is normal.

LOL! One of the first things they need to teach in a beginning sign class is "See person first, deaf second." Its like all beginning students see a deaf person as an object to practice on. Or as being so lonely and isolated that they just jump with joy when someone knows the manual alphabet.:giggle:

LOL! One of the first things they need to teach in a beginning sign class is "See person first, deaf second." Its like all beginning students see a deaf person as an object to practice on. Or as being so lonely and isolated that they just jump with joy when someone knows the manual alphabet.:giggle:

I do!! :lol:

He did not use his voice. He nodded a lot. He also had a name badge in his pocket that showed his name and place of employment that he showed me. He did use a few signs and some general gestures. I have seen him signing with others that know ASL, and I have seen him write notes with a man who does not know ASL.

Gotcha, I don't know if you are aware that some deaf people are not really an opener in communication with a total stranger especially a hearing person who approach them with sign language, that's maybe why he nodded a lot. My deaf friends do exactly the same when we were at a restaurant a hearing person approached and told us that she knew a little bit of sign language and my friends would just nodded and smiled, that's about it. :lol:

Maybe if you give him a chance to really know you, maybe he'll get conformable around you and talk to you more, just take it one day at a time. Good luck. :)

I can identify with the man. I'm not much of a people person myself. I enjoy chatting with friends and other people I know, but I'm not much of one for "shooting the bull" with strangers or folks that I'm unlikely to ever see again, and someone coming up to me out of the blue and striking up a conversation is very off-putting.

I also have to wonder how the OP started the conversation. "Hi! I'm learning ASL!" In that case, his thoughts might very well have been, "Oh dear, I hope she isn't looking for someone to practice on. Where's the nearest exit?"

:rofl2:

Strange as it may seem....I've always been quite "suspicious" of hearies (strangers) coming up to me and showing off their ASL prowesses!....even an "overly friendly" hearie who knows I can lipread, tries to start a conversation with me. ...Dunno why....but I think the guy might have been somewhat intimated, not knowing how to converse with a hearie and felt awkward in the situation....

Maybe it was his "pride"??...Dunno, really!...

Since I converse both ways...at times it gets really irritating when a hearie is "practicing" on me!...Especially if it's a "kid" many years younger than I !.....Makes me feel a little dumb sometimes! (Woops!)

Maybe a simple sign of "Hi!"...would suffice at first....and the next time you see the guy...he would know ur face and ur ability to sign somewhat, and might not feel so "awkward" with the situation.

Strange as it may seem....I've always been quite "suspicious" of hearies (strangers) coming up to me and showing off their ASL prowesses!....even an "overly friendly" hearie who knows I can lipread, tries to start a conversation with me. ...Dunno why....but I think the guy might have been somewhat intimated, not knowing how to converse with a hearie and felt awkward in the situation....

Maybe it was his "pride"??...Dunno, really!...

Since I converse both ways...at times it gets really irritating when a hearie is "practicing" on me!...Especially if it's a "kid" many years younger than I !.....Makes me feel a little dumb sometimes! (Woops!)

Maybe a simple sign of "Hi!"...would suffice at first....and the next time you see the guy...he would know ur face and ur ability to sign somewhat, and might not feel so "awkward" with the situation.

That is exactly how I handle it anytime I see a deafie in a public place. If I see them looking my direction, I will sign, Hi and go on about my business. I figure if they want to strike up a conversation, I have let them know that I can sign. Then I leave it up to them.

LOL! Something similiar like that happened to my brother when we went tubing. A lady came up to him and signed very slowing "A....B......C....and D..." and walked away. My brother was like "huh????"

How dumb can you get? :roll: Even when i was just starting ASL, I never thought to do something like that.

Lol, I can see your bro signing: "point what?" :scratch:

How dumb can you get? :roll: Even when i was just starting ASL, I never thought to do something like that.

Lol, I can see your bro signing: "point what?" :scratch:

Do you think she was trying to tell them she think they are retard? ABCD signing???? If someone came up to me and recite that for no reason, I would find it insulting.. Unless she has a disability that I am not aware of (such as down syndrome)

Yeah, I have no idea what would compel someone to sign the first four letters of the alphabet. I imagine anybody on the receiving end would react exactly the same way, regardless of their language.

Back