Medical privacy regarding disability rights?

LDNanna

Premium Member
Reaction score
Is it legal for an employer, when demanding a drs excuse for sick time, to demand that you disclose personal medical information regarding the visit?

Can your job set policy that states you must do so?

It was my idea that it is none of their business what my diagnosis or symptoms are.

BTW, I have over 600 sick hours accrued, and almost as many vacation hours gone unused due to not being allowed to use them. I do not abuse my time. I have contacted my dars rep already. Any other ideas? Oh, I live in Texas if that matters?

If anyone has links or real info let me know. Of course, opinions are welcomed too.

Absolutely not. They are not privy to details regarding any medical visit, no matter what the reason. They have only the right to know that you were a patient there, and received treatment, and they can get that info only if you have signed a release or authorized the doctor's office to release that info. Check the HIPPA laws.

After researching and contacting various public officials I decided to contact a friend who is a local lawyer. Jillio, you are VERY correct. Not only does the policy violate my rights but I may also have a harrassment standing due to office behavior. They have violated my civil rights as well as HIPAA, ADA and other personal rights. Though I need my job and do not wish to go the legal route, I do have grounds should the office decide to force the issue.
Thank you again.

wow that is serious pretty reading surprised I am shocked! what is happened?

hope be you do it best hard work and effort and best focus :D

After researching and contacting various public officials I decided to contact a friend who is a local lawyer. Jillio, you are VERY correct. Not only does the policy violate my rights but I may also have a harrassment standing due to office behavior. They have violated my civil rights as well as HIPAA, ADA and other personal rights. Though I need my job and do not wish to go the legal route, I do have grounds should the office decide to force the issue.
Thank you again.

You are very welcome. I was certain of my answer before I posted it. I would not answer if I wasn't sure.:giggle: Despite the fact that I am continually asked for links to prove my statements.:giggle:

Much of the time, simply knowing that you have a legal standing will change the behavior.

There is nothing wrong with asking for a source nor should there be anything wrong with providing one when asked. :giggle: It shouldn't be a big deal. :giggle:

There is nothing wrong with asking for a source nor should there be anything wrong with providing one when asked. :giggle: It shouldn't be a big deal. :giggle:

Perhaps not when you spend all of your spare time googling. I rely, however, on years of learning and knowledge. That is my source.

Perhaps not when you spend all of your spare time googling. I rely, however, on years of learning and knowledge. That is my source.
Not everyone knows the breadth of your knowledge or even if the responses based on such knowledge are skewed or bias. There is much that is subjective and to be fair, providing a source gives others a chance to draw their own conclusions which may or may not be in agreement with yours.

Peace!

Not everyone knows the breadth of your knowledge or even if the responses based on such knowledge are skewed or bias. There is much that is subjective and to be fair, providing a source gives others a chance to draw their own conclusions which may or may not be in agreement with yours.

Peace!

My source is the depth and the breadth of my knowledge. Therefore, I have provided it.

Peace.

You are very welcome. I was certain of my answer before I posted it. I would not answer if I wasn't sure.:giggle: Despite the fact that I am continually asked for links to prove my statements.:giggle:

Much of the time, simply knowing that you have a legal standing will change the behavior.

ldnana, I think you have a case of classic office bullying on your hands and if you don't wish to take the legal course, you may want to consider leaving your old office when you get new job offers and hopefully you will have a better workplace environment in the future.

ldnana, I think you have a case of classic office bullying on your hands and if you don't wish to take the legal course, you may want to consider leaving your old office when you get new job offers and hopefully you will have a better workplace environment in the future.

That, too could be a solution.

Deafskeptic and Jillio, thanks for the comments. I have looked for more work. This is a small town. Because of my age and degree of hearing loss it seems very difficult to find another job with insurance. I looked all last year. There were other jobs but none had the insurance benefit.
Yes, I agree it is bullying. My boss did recommend me for a raise and gave me a good review, odd eh? I dont understand that behavior at all.
Jillio, you dont have to provide sources for me. I trust your judgement and direction. Thanks again. You rock.

Deafskeptic, thanks for the link. It was really informative.

Back