Med EL or new Nucleus 5?

Personally, I like my Nucleus 5. Its smaller, its lighter and I can't really feel it when i'm wearing it after I put it on. I like how cochlear finally made a remote control for the Nucleus 5, I wish they did this a while ago! As well as the nucleus app they released a few weeks ago on Itunes. With the remote you have more control over it and it has troubleshooting guides on it if something didn't go right with the processor itself.

Like somebody else said here, I think its important for your child to learn sign language. I mean you can't really depend on lipreading all the time or your cochlear implant. What if the implant breaks, and you have to wait a few weeks for it to get repaired and you can't communicate with her? My parents got me into the deaf culture as soon as I became deaf at 3 years old. I was taught sign language by my deaf family as well as my interpreter. I think this would be a huge benefit for your child.

One thing I do not like about the OPUS 2 processor if I understand it correctly that there is no buttons on it. With My N5 processor I have two buttons which I can turn on or off he processor, change programs and turn on the T-coil without having to depend on the remote in case that I forgot to carry the remote. I am not sure what control you have with the OPUS 2 without the remote.

Personally, I like my Nucleus 5. Its smaller, its lighter and I can't really feel it when i'm wearing it after I put it on. I like how cochlear finally made a remote control for the Nucleus 5, I wish they did this a while ago! As well as the nucleus app they released a few weeks ago on Itunes. With the remote you have more control over it and it has troubleshooting guides on it if something didn't go right with the processor itself.

Like somebody else said here, I think its important for your child to learn sign language. I mean you can't really depend on lipreading all the time or your cochlear implant. What if the implant breaks, and you have to wait a few weeks for it to get repaired and you can't communicate with her? My parents got me into the deaf culture as soon as I became deaf at 3 years old. I was taught sign language by my deaf family as well as my interpreter. I think this would be a huge benefit for your child.

What does the app do?

helps you troubleshoot your implant if something isn't working right, tips on how to use the implant, etc, stuff like that.

Back