Matters arising from the Deaf & hearings relations.

Pat kuame

Reaction score
As a deaf or hoh person,have you ever tried been in a relationship or got married to a hearing person? If so until today,you are still hanging onto that relationship or marriage,how do you as often as possible,manage to sustained it with a partner of the opposite gender and culture?

I have heard of people making assumptions regarding how dangerously a relationship between deaf and a hearing person could be.And we know however that,all relationships have problems and in the case of deaf and hearing,it could be worst but it's not as completely impossible.

I have my own observations regarding this theory but I prefer to withheld it to hear what others have to say.
I want to learn.

Last edited:
I met several women in my lifetime. Due to a variety of reasons, associated with trucking it was clear that a relationship was possible should I stay home and pursue it. However I was a trucker and gone.

Fast forward many years, I met wife through happenstance. Dowdy in Batesville had dispatched me on a hot load to California in one of the frozen trailers and chop chop get going yer late already. 4 days to do it. I pulled into a place to grab food and wolf it down on the road. There she was and asked if I knew sign langauge. Yes I did. Can I learn? Well, her reasons were valid as a hearing person who was part of the church she was with that had some deaf that had no sign language services. They sit in a pew quietly until the service is over and went home routinely. They gained nothing.

With that said we married eventually. I was now a home owner with land and so on and her. Two becomes one. A team but more than that. So I was already sick then and stayed home to deal with the doctors to find out the extent of my damages. It was extensive and in some cases degenerative. However that was nothing compared to the cancer that showed up some years later. By then wife was with me for a year on the road in trucking and we were a team. She did some things and I did the rest.

She got used to the closed captioning and so on. Then adapted to it for quiet. The commercials in the TV used to blare. But now we just volume off and follow the captions or subtitles in videos. It took quite some time before she learned the extent of the history with me. And vice versa. Sometimes there was very bad conflict. One example was the Deaf Church in North Little Rock. She went there when I was on the east coast burying a relative in Arlington. That sunday the Pastor chose to sermon a message stating that the deaf should stand on their two feet and not take government SSI, SSDI, Social Security or any payments for simply being deaf. The pastor herself was all hearing and she made a grave error in reopening a very old and structural defect among deaf in school, some of whom took in hundreds of dollars a month in childhood for a variety of disabilites. The Hearing (Including my parents) would fight against that. SO it did a great deal of damage to those of us who were deaf. I thought the issue was dead and buried these last 30 years at that point in my lifetime.

Anyway, wife came home very angry and demanded to know what the issue was. That took a month of explaining to her the basic conflicts among the deaf in the deaf schools among those who took SSI or SSDI but some did not. Usually because their hearing parents deliberately failed to inform the deaf student that he or she can go to SSA and get this money. But they find out about it from the staff, some of whom were hearing and preached against it and others preached for it.

Just one example. That alone almost destroyed our marriage. Never mind the cancer. The Pastor didnt know any better, she was young in adult hood. Reopening old wounds from a hearing perspective.

We are divorced for a variety of good reasons and in fact our relationship is better for it. We both are dealing with medical stuff and we cannot depend on tomorrow. We both are free to meet others and who knows. But you know what? once is quite enough thank you. We have met others since then.

Do I hang on to her? No. At the same time we are a sunshine to one another when something comes up that one of us is good at. So everything that passed all these years are water under the bridge. I'll die a trucker. We recently went to the Petro in Little Rock for a meal last week and when I set foot on the property with the big rigs coming and going she could see me slip into trucker mode. Two different people in me. But she also drove for a while and understood me so thats not a problem. Birds of a feather fly together.

It was a good day however shaded with a problem when one of the staff who used a hearing aid to function in the resturant was overworked a bit much trying to keep up with 3 people asking her to do this, that and other etc in a noisy building (Roaring air conditoner vent directly in the ceiling) she developed chest pains. Our Medical and Fire responded in a timely manner but we dont know if she made it or not. She did not know sign language. However the hearing staff understood that we or I am rather are a trucker and they served us good food and good service. We tipped all of them well, including hearing aid lady who was being looked after. I think the Staff in that workplace needs to cool it in asking one person to do everything that they dont have time to do. You cannot do everything. Thats why you get sick or possibly dead. Its not worth it.

Once in a while I think about the very few women I have met and left for trucking work and wondered how they have done in life. I have had recieved some snippets through friends (And vice versa) on some of them and some have passed on with each passing year. I strike more friends off my address book as deceased. I just put three crosses in three just the last 6 months. One shoveled snow and dropped dead. Another was killed by cancer, ate her right up. A third was struck down by cancer while 25 and barely out of our school. And so on. Both deaf and hearing.

We have one life to live and if you are able to live it with someone with you then thats great. If not? Well that can be good too. However we as people are built to live, love and raise families where possible in all of our lifetimes. And to take the bad with the good along the way.

Deaf and hearing is something that is worked out through talking and teaching and a lot of it. However there are some issues that will not go away or be left alone and sometimes the hearings do a great deal of damage and that is from not knowing what passed 40 years or so ago. That is pretty much historical interest now. IF one cared to examine that.

One last point.

Columbia Campus when Opened in 1973 for the first 65 deaf, myself included. Featured a seperate wing for at least 50 (I forget the exact count too many years have passed) students who were not only deaf but medically disabled in a variety of horrible ways. They usually each have a nurse or caregiver with them 24/7 every day, wear protective gear and work with rules akin to what we called trainables or mentally retardation rules in those days. Such as Boys do not touch Girls and so on for obvious reasons. They lived fairly well and was taught what they could be taught by the State who was responsible for their education, such as it is. The hope was they would thrive and like forrest gump in the movie break off the braces and run with the big kids in the normal side of the campus.

Not all of them did. AND none of them had a life that I have been fortunate to have. Essentially no freedom, sheltered and shut away from society where necessary living on very little to no money, unable to decide for themselves what they want to do for a living and raise a family etc. No freedom basically.

They called it "Least Restrictive Environment"

The hearing have their own issues but nothing close to what we have had to deal with on our side of the society growing up.

Last edited:
I met several women in my lifetime. Due to a variety of reasons, associated with trucking it was clear that a relationship was possible should I stay home and pursue it. However I was a trucker and gone.

Fast forward many years, I met wife through happenstance. Dowdy in Batesville had dispatched me on a hot load to California in one of the frozen trailers and chop chop get going yer late already. 4 days to do it. I pulled into a place to grab food and wolf it down on the road. There she was and asked if I knew sign langauge. Yes I did. Can I learn? Well, her reasons were valid as a hearing person who was part of the church she was with that had some deaf that had no sign language services. They sit in a pew quietly until the service is over and went home routinely. They gained nothing.

With that said we married eventually. I was now a home owner with land and so on and her. Two becomes one. A team but more than that. So I was already sick then and stayed home to deal with the doctors to find out the extent of my damages. It was extensive and in some cases degenerative. However that was nothing compared to the cancer that showed up some years later. By then wife was with me for a year on the road in trucking and we were a team. She did some things and I did the rest.

She got used to the closed captioning and so on. Then adapted to it for quiet. The commercials in the TV used to blare. But now we just volume off and follow the captions or subtitles in videos. It took quite some time before she learned the extent of the history with me. And vice versa. Sometimes there was very bad conflict. One example was the Deaf Church in North Little Rock. She went there when I was on the east coast burying a relative in Arlington. That sunday the Pastor chose to sermon a message stating that the deaf should stand on their two feet and not take government SSI, SSDI, Social Security or any payments for simply being deaf. The pastor herself was all hearing and she made a grave error in reopening a very old and structural defect among deaf in school, some of whom took in hundreds of dollars a month in childhood for a variety of disabilites. The Hearing (Including my parents) would fight against that. SO it did a great deal of damage to those of us who were deaf. I thought the issue was dead and buried these last 30 years at that point in my lifetime.

Anyway, wife came home very angry and demanded to know what the issue was. That took a month of explaining to her the basic conflicts among the deaf in the deaf schools among those who took SSI or SSDI but some did not. Usually because their hearing parents deliberately failed to inform the deaf student that he or she can go to SSA and get this money. But they find out about it from the staff, some of whom were hearing and preached against it and others preached for it.

Just one example. That alone almost destroyed our marriage. Never mind the cancer. The Pastor didnt know any better, she was young in adult hood. Reopening old wounds from a hearing perspective.

We are divorced for a variety of good reasons and in fact our relationship is better for it. We both are dealing with medical stuff and we cannot depend on tomorrow. We both are free to meet others and who knows. But you know what? once is quite enough thank you. We have met others since then.

Do I hang on to her? No. At the same time we are a sunshine to one another when something comes up that one of us is good at. So everything that passed all these years are water under the bridge. I'll die a trucker. We recently went to the Petro in Little Rock for a meal last week and when I set foot on the property with the big rigs coming and going she could see me slip into trucker mode. Two different people in me. But she also drove for a while and understood me so thats not a problem. Birds of a feather fly together.

It was a good day however shaded with a problem when one of the staff who used a hearing aid to function in the resturant was overworked a bit much trying to keep up with 3 people asking her to do this, that and other etc in a noisy building (Roaring air conditoner vent directly in the ceiling) she developed chest pains. Our Medical and Fire responded in a timely manner but we dont know if she made it or not. She did not know sign language. However the hearing staff understood that we or I am rather are a trucker and they served us good food and good service. We tipped all of them well, including hearing aid lady who was being looked after. I think the Staff in that workplace needs to cool it in asking one person to do everything that they dont have time to do. You cannot do everything. Thats why you get sick or possibly dead. Its not worth it.

Once in a while I think about the very few women I have met and left for trucking work and wondered how they have done in life. I have had recieved some snippets through friends (And vice versa) on some of them and some have passed on with each passing year. I strike more friends off my address book as deceased. I just put three crosses in three just the last 6 months. One shoveled snow and dropped dead. Another was killed by cancer, ate her right up. A third was struck down by cancer while 25 and barely out of our school. And so on. Both deaf and hearing.

We have one life to live and if you are able to live it with someone with you then thats great. If not? Well that can be good too. However we as people are built to live, love and raise families where possible in all of our lifetimes. And to take the bad with the good along the way.

Deaf and hearing is something that is worked out through talking and teaching and a lot of it. However there are some issues that will not go away or be left alone and sometimes the hearings do a great deal of damage and that is from not knowing what passed 40 years or so ago. That is pretty much historical interest now. IF one cared to examine that.

One last point.

Columbia Campus when Opened in 1973 for the first 65 deaf, myself included. Featured a seperate wing for at least 50 (I forget the exact count too many years have passed) students who were not only deaf but medically disabled in a variety of horrible ways. They usually each have a nurse or caregiver with them 24/7 every day, wear protective gear and work with rules akin to what we called trainables or mentally retardation rules in those days. Such as Boys do not touch Girls and so on for obvious reasons. They lived fairly well and was taught what they could be taught by the State who was responsible for their education, such as it is. The hope was they would thrive and like forrest gump in the movie break off the braces and run with the big kids in the normal side of the campus.

Not all of them did. AND none of them had a life that I have been fortunate to have. Essentially no freedom, sheltered and shut away from society where necessary living on very little to no money, unable to decide for themselves what they want to do for a living and raise a family etc. No freedom basically.

They called it "Least Restrictive Environment"

The hearing have their own issues but nothing close to what we have had to deal with on our side of the society growing up.

x1heavy,
Thanks for the time taken to respond by penned down all the experiences you had been through in your love life,the good,the bad,and the ugly moments you both shared together.I'm sorry that your relationship with your hearing partner ended in misunderstanding.I read everything thoroughly and it was like reading a bio on death row.It's kind of sad but actually,that's part of life.There are some alarming and thought provoking issues i have highlighted while reading your draft.Such as a pastor denying the welfare of the Deaf by preaching against their livelihoods and eventually caused your divorce,a lady wearing hearing aid at the restaurant being loaded with work,boys not allowed to interact with girls etc,and a section of your aforementioned colleagues being relegated to an environment where they couldn't adapt.All these are threats of moral policing and they demanded court case but surprisingly,nothing was done about them.I learned a great deal and even took a screenshot of your scripts for a situational analysis.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Ty for your thoughts. Its not all bad. There is nothing for the courts to do. There is no laws broken. Just a way of life imposed on those of us in those days. It made quite a impression.

It made me value my ex and vice versa. It took some months to talk it out with the stress gone from our break. In many ways we reached a good understanding on both sides but marriage ran its course and its not a problem. We still run together so to speak in life. With her age and cancer chemo and so on a great deal of damage was done. They did save her life in treatment and we had 15 years or so since then in life. I can tell you of so many down there that did not make it despite strong hopes and a desire for life. I remember one person specifically. Underweight, tired of chemo and doctors told him thats that for those medicines. What they DID do is arrange to ship him to Memphis and gamble on one last try.

Drain all blood from him in live bypass machine. Replace with entire fresh blood. His was a form of blood cancer. Possibly leukemia. He would experience a burst of health and glow with strength after that procedure. Dancing actually. Joyful We never saw him again. We like to think that they were successful. Despite everything. He was hearing.

Some of my writing came across as dark and troubles etc. But to me its a history of being deaf. I can and will say that a specific number of my classmates in school were preyed upon and were removed from society when they mentally broke from that stress. The State takes care of them now. Good food, bed and a staff with medicines as needed etc. They never did graduate. MAYBE because of being young which is a special thing they were able to heal enough to reenter society maybe.

I will say that some of the predators have passed on. Their crimes were papered over and they actually died from STD related infections and so on. As the choices they made in life. For me in the last thought is that there is freedom in America. To do all the things you want to in life, whatever it might be. Made more special when you walk in the light of prosperity and grace without remembering the problems that almost was too much.

My future is what it is and the doctors are doing a good job. Some parts were taken out and replaced such as joints, eye lenses and so on. Its a miracle actually. I think the medical expenses near 200,000 so far in the last 10 years or so with another 100K to go. Its very cheap to fix the things and be on your way healthy and not in pain etc. Or unable to function and require 24/7 care. As some do. So I live out my days praising God for his grace and since he is Love I try to teach those that can be taught where possible and thus make changes.

Some of the damage is strictly a lifetime as a trucker. In trucking school they taught us we have about 35 years from 21 to be productive and prepare for a future at some point in the 50's where the body fails. Spine etc. Ive experienced all that. There are very large differences between old medicine decades ago and what is available today. Truly a positive result despite everything.

Again, its all water under the bridge. However the next and future generations learning skills to work with deaf people evolved in many ways way past what we had in our time with the variety of staff, (Teachers, counslers and so on.) the biggest impact sits with parents with deaf children. In some ways they are protected and taught good things without the stessors generations ago.

As a deaf or hoh person,have you ever tried been in a relationship or got married to a hearing person? If so until today,you are still hanging onto that relationship or marriage,how do you as often as possible,manage to sustained it with a partner of the opposite gender and culture?

I have heard of people making assumptions regarding how dangerously a relationship between deaf and a hearing person could be.And we know however that,all relationships have problems and in the case of deaf and hearing,it could be worst but it's not as completely impossible.

I have my own observations regarding this theory but I prefer to withheld it to hear what others have to say.
I want to learn.
I hoh and my wife is hearing we been to together for 13 years and married for almost 7 years. We make the marriage work and I have normal Disagreements. And when we go places and I can’t hear when over are talking to me she there to tell me what they said but I can read lips To

I hoh and my wife is hearing we been to together for 13 years and married for almost 7 years. We make the marriage work and I have normal Disagreements. And when we go places and I can’t hear when over are talking to me she there to tell me what they said but I can read lips To
Thanks Karibear,
By the look of your statement,I can tell your wife possesses a great deal of understanding and tolerance. Very lucky of you to have found such a woman.

I want to learn.
you, do not want people to know what your thinking, but you are asking questions regarding deaf relations with hearing people. who ever said it was dangerously inappropriate to mix hearing with the deaf ...i feel is wrong! on so many levels. but you have to conduct a rel yourself asking others is a nono. why because it's not appropriate. it's like saying you cannot mix black with white or green with purple.... or a blind person with a deaf person...it takes allsorts to make a world. BUT communication is the question you should be asking..read men are from mars and women from venus (it does not matter) what gender you are....or what you want from yourself or someone else....most relations do not last for long that's why DIVORCEE is so high....because people in effect do not communicate well with each other....and we evolve through the stresses that we go through in life....deaf people r not aliens like hearing people are not. what the difference is lifestyle, and having an acceptance of others- sign language can be taught....like spanish or french ....not everyone speaks english. So go out and find out that answer for yourself...& keep on trying to learn about how you can change with confidence. because without confidence you can get lost. ok....find your own meaning in life...it's like a person who is religious and there partner not having the same faith.... it can and does still work...its called being mature & accepting someone else difference....what i am trying to say is....never stop yourself from falling for someone if they are hearing ....give them a chance you may be surprised like they r with you....i hope you find your answers....

You were justified in your thoughts and the question I posted on there recently is like this: "why is it so easy for a hearing guy to woe a deaf lady but isn't as simple for a deaf guy to do likewise? Or, have you ever wondered why a deaf lady can accept a relationship with a hearing guy in a jeffy, but the hearing women aren't as much interested in the same scenario? I wasn't literally setting a barrier between the Deaf and hearings but the question was formed that way for the sake of emphasis. I'm deaf myself actually and had been in a platonic relationship with a hearing lady.And surprisingly,it's nothing related to communication issues that ended our relationship because, we being in an institution that adopted and practice inclusion,i believe the hearings have their own intents about us Deaf.Even though i have observed how friendly and approachable the Deaf and visually impaired students were towards the hearing students but most of them aren't willing to mingle.They will either friendzoned or abandoned you after you have taught them how to sign and they never really care about your feelings. It's a lot of things. But honestly,your last line of expression makes a lot of sense. Giving up isn't worth it. Thanks for education. Muddy Feet.

Last edited:
im profoundly deaf and married 14 years the deafness caused a lot of problems in my marriage, currently seeking a divorce; he was so hard on me. It was horrible. i hated Myself for my deafness. I, just now recovering from the trauma. He was so cruel, mocked me when I asked him to repeat something I missed. Complained about how much hearing people had to deal with. I will never marry again, EVER.

im profoundly deaf and married 14 years the deafness caused a lot of problems in my marriage, currently seeking a divorce; he was so hard on me. It was horrible. i hated Myself for my deafness. I, just now recovering from the trauma. He was so cruel, mocked me when I asked him to repeat something I missed. Complained about how much hearing people had to deal with. I will never marry again, EVER.
Thats abuse what he put you through.

Even in the hottest arguments in marriage wife and I knew how to find a solution by sunset if possible without the abuse. When its all over with and we move on it usually results in a number of good things on either one of us as we tried to patch up the damage.

Another poster spoke about heing people disposing of the deaf, that happens quite a bit. Ive remembered many people who were pretty good fro their time but no longer part of my life for a variety of reasons. My own brother and sister was probably the first damaged when I was born and got old enough to go home and grow. In those very early years they were given a bunch of do nots. Or do this. a bunch. It was unnecessarily either excluding or a form of abuse. It was not intentional in those days no one knew anything about dealing with the deaf or vice versa. Just put so and so into the spare room and keep society away. And that would be that.

That persisted for years among the three of us, I think my father was pretty bad about it because we would take a trip somewhere and the two siblings would participate in the activity, whatever it might be while I was kept out of it instead of being with them as children do. Alot of damage was done. However its all water under the bridge. patched up more or less.

Sign Language? HA. Most of the time the hearing wanted to know the good stuff. as in bad words and sexual words etc. We were not taught that at all until one day the special book kept in the Physiology office was lifted by one of us and we went over the whole thing learning a whole language that is rather exact and precise. So we can swear properly and talk about other things not allowed in there at that time. It was a book kept for children who experienced abuse and the shrink needed to be able to communicate using what was not taught to the person or victim.

It was not long before the staff realized that we possessed a language that they did not teach on purpose. So that upset them quite a bit. But what do you expect? You cannot silence a people. thats almost like censoring.

There was quite a bit of that. Partly because oh, they are retards they dont know if they are being taken advantage of etc. Actually they know as people if someone is hurting them. Just not how to communicate it back then.

My ex and I still function as a team in life, if something comes up with the car or whatever thats where I come in. if I am excessively hurting medically thats where she comes in as a caregiver. So its a blessing. Breaks the cycle of anger and bad things previously in both of our families. However we both live freely. But it will be a very long time before I would go through that again if ever. I have met many in my lifetime but very few who can function properly and cross the hearing, deaf or other issues well.

We would tease each other so much, She would get into the cookie jar at 2 am just because I wont catch her. Well I would tease her by saying well those crumbs on the counter says that the cookie monster was in it last night. Then started inventorying the cookies. =) A minor issue hardly worth going over. just get more of the right cookies.

Get married in Ireland, then try to get a divorce, until recently there was no such thing, for better OR worse it's a covenant not a contract:nono:

You were justified in your thoughts and the question I posted on there recently is like this: "why is it so easy for a hearing guy to woe a deaf lady but isn't as simple for a deaf guy to do likewise? Or, have you ever wondered why a deaf lady can accept a relationship with a hearing guy in a jeffy, but the hearing women aren't as much interested in the same scenario? I wasn't literally setting a barrier between the Deaf and hearings but the question was formed that way for the sake of emphasis. I'm deaf myself actually and had been in a platonic relationship with a hearing lady.And surprisingly,it's nothing related to communication issues that ended our relationship because, we being in an institution that adopted and practice inclusion,i believe the hearings have their own intents about us Deaf.Even though i have observed how friendly and approachable the Deaf and visually impaired students were towards the hearing students but most of them aren't willing to mingle.They will either friendzoned or abandoned you after you have taught them how to sign and they never really care about your feelings. It's a lot of things. But honestly,your last line of expression makes a lot of sense. Giving up isn't worth it. Thanks for education. Muddy Feet.
I'm hearing, I don't care if a guy is hearing or deaf. I already know sign language. I learned asl when I was very young. My cousins are deaf and taught me. I'm not as fast as deaf people but they are patient. I don't get the practice that I need to be that fast. However I've been watching you tube to pick up more signs and I sign my thoughts, like hearing people talking to themselves, lol. I'm joining the deaf camping club with my cousins. Maybe because I was raised partly in deaf culture it's different. I don't know .

I'm hearing, I don't care if a guy is hearing or deaf. I already know sign language. I learned asl when I was very young. My cousins are deaf and taught me. I'm not as fast as deaf people but they are patient. I don't get the practice that I need to be that fast. However I've been watching you tube to pick up more signs and I sign my thoughts, like hearing people talking to themselves, lol. I'm joining the deaf camping club with my cousins. Maybe because I was raised partly in deaf culture it's different. I don't know .
Its not about speed.

We had years ago seniors who happened to be a family of a Beloved Teacher in MSD here near me and I went to visit. (Long story...) that particular visit was .. painful. Signed English the whole time in addition to being patient while they collected thoughts and built a sentence. I think they loved me to visit that day and stay a while. They were not bad hosts, just starved for deaf. Not necessarily bad. Just S L O W. Slow of itself isnt bad necessarily.

Here in the south things are slow and I like it. None of that high speed yankee living trying to soothe 6 different people at the same time all day.

To use sign language is like iron sharpens iron, both people benefit. If it does not get used much well... its rusty. And thats painful. I had to use some ASL today at the doc with the secretary and there was a certain amount of learning from her and from me. Regarding the new baby issue we could very easily sit there the rest of the day and go over and explore the things that come up in such a conversation.

And that, is what I want to leave you with thinking this.... Sometimes its not the hurry up be fast or be slow, its the experience of being with someone in person talking. You two or you'all (Group) large or small are all in it. The hearing dont have what the deaf have sometimes. Although certain women and men with voices that fit them are quite something else. Should be opera singers or something.

Occasionally people write a greeting to me and it might be a week before I show up or a few hours depending on my day or health, but once you start a conversation anything is possible. Hopefully good things. Who knows.

When God set down and examined the new Tower of Babel under construction as Man desperatly tried to unite to build among themselves a tower to heaven. Such hubris and arrogance. He set out to punish all the people with different spoken languages for their folly, but left the deaf alone. At some point a sign language came along and many hundred years later here we are.

the symptoms of narcissism is "lack of empathy". That means he doesn't have a clue what love is. Instead he uses charm which he does best. Watch narcissism videos and you find many testimonies on those that left. You can marry me instead but let me warn you that I say, "huh?" a lot

you're not the only one, I've seen many horror marriage/relationship stories between deaf and hearing .... best to date deaf person who already understand deaf culture.

Back