Mastoidectomy experiences?

I understand this is an old post. But seeking some advice.
I'm 5 weeks post op cortical mastoidectomy and tympanoplasty.
All has been great.
Untill the last 3 nights my ear has leaked alot of wax.
No blood, no pain.
Is this normal?

Hi All, I'm new to this post and website. I thought I'd also share my experiences if it helps anyone else in the future. I'm also hoping to get some advice as to what others have done to relieve some of the symptoms associated with Chronic otitis externa or media.
I was diagnosed with otitis externa when I was 18 mos old, I am now 44. When I was 8 I had my first radical mastoidectomy on my right ear, then when I was 11 or 12 I had a revision surgery.
My first experience was great (I know weird right) but truthfully, I had a great doctor who pioneered this type of surgery. I went to Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston and they treated me wonderfully. Didn't like the anesthesia of course because back then it was the big black mask with ether gas, yuck.
Unfortunately I had to have another one but that seemed to do it. I have about 75% hearing loss in my right ear, slight numbness on the upper right part where they had to cut.
I still have to go back every 6mos for cleanings, it's not infection, it's wax build up and debris that happens when you have such a large canal in your ear. This is really important to keep up with.
I still get infections in my left ear and I have a small hole in the ear drum, I can't go swimming or get my ears wet at all which has been the story of my life.
In any case, I still get mild infections on the right side as well which I have right now w/some whooshing tinnitus that's really annoying.

All in all having the surgery is definitely better than dealing w/the infections and taking loads of antibiotics that aren't good for you either, in my opinion. I'm sure I'll need hearing aides in the future if not now which is fine.
The one thing that is most bothersome after having the surgery and having such a large canal is if any wind or even cold air gets into that ear, I immediately get vertigo. That's probably the only downside, just have to make sure I have ear muffs when I go out in the cold weather.
Hope this helps...

Hi All, I'm new to this post and website. I thought I'd also share my experiences if it helps anyone else in the future. I'm also hoping to get some advice as to what others have done to relieve some of the symptoms associated with Chronic otitis externa or media.
I was diagnosed with otitis externa when I was 18 mos old, I am now 44. When I was 8 I had my first radical mastoidectomy on my right ear, then when I was 11 or 12 I had a revision surgery.
My first experience was great (I know weird right) but truthfully, I had a great doctor who pioneered this type of surgery. I went to Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary in Boston and they treated me wonderfully. Didn't like the anesthesia of course because back then it was the big black mask with ether gas, yuck.
Unfortunately I had to have another one but that seemed to do it. I have about 75% hearing loss in my right ear, slight numbness on the upper right part where they had to cut.
I still have to go it's not infection, it's wax build up and debris that happens when you have such a large canal in your ear. This is really important to keep up with.
I still get infections in my left ear and I have a small hole in the ear drum, I can't go swimming or get my ears wet at all which has be
In any case, I still get mild infections on the right side as well which I have right now w/some whooshing tinnitus that's really annoying.

All in all having the surgery is definitely better than dealing w/the infections and taking loads of antibiotics that aren't good for you either, in my opinion. I'm sure I'll need hearing aides in the future if not now which is fine.
The one thing that is most bothersome after having the surgery and having such a large canal is if any wind or even cold air gets into that ear, I immediately get vertigo. That's probably the only downside, just have to make sure I have ear muffs when I go out in the cold weather.
Hope this helps...
I still have to go back every 6mos for cleanings, it's not infection, it's wax build up and debris that happens when you have such a large canal in your ear. This is really important to keep up with.
I still get infections in my left ear and I have a small hole in the ear drum, I can't go swimming or get my ears wet at all which has been the story of my life.

Hope this helps...
Dakota14,
I've had the same experience as you with my mastoidectomies, although I don't remember much medical information about my surgeries, as I was young when they were done in the late 90's. I am now 37, I don't get ear infections, but I do get sinus infections about once a year or every couple of years if I properly care for my health. I've noticed that as long as I use a humidifier, the netipot twice a day, and drink plenty of water, I can avoid getting sick, which takes my ears twice as long to clear up and it's annoying for not just me but I'm assuming everyone around me as well!

Yes, I've had the surgery on both ears since age 14...now completely deaf...suffered with ear infections all my life...Finally the last surgery 2 years ago worked for me...no infections so far! But I do have pain at times...I deal with it.

And to note: I've had a total of 10 surgeries on my ears....

I had full mastoidectomy with CWD back in the early 80s. Several reconstructive surgeries and no improvement on hearing. Cleaning is difficult. Daily issues with vertigo, ringing in ear and sharp pains in the sensitive inner ear bowl, Gave up on drs, my mental health has taken a toll from all the bullying (even to this day) and feeling left out. Constantly have to adjust to my surroundings for best hearing.

I have not had to deal with Bullies too often for years now, however when they came along a little knock on violence applied with a feeling usually took care of it.

Anyway, you would think they can scan that particular bone these days and replicate a replacement and stick it in there. If it works well your ear wont know its working from a spare part to replace the infected bone.

Regarding one with a hole in ear drum, you need to find a way to burn it shut or patch it somehow because it needs to be closed all the way across for the hearing to work. Hearing aids might just make it impossible.

As far as doctors, sometimes they are stubborn. I remember one who was over much with antibiotics and I simply quit filling them for three months. His office called asking whats the problem. I told them antibiotics do not work problem still remains and will be fixed with another doctor and a little bit out patient cutting. I refuse to be farmed for constant doctors visits that does not heal or progress towards a fix, provided one is possible.

To this day I dont go to doctors unless something breaks. Then we fix it ya?

Back