"Manumatic" transmissions

green427

Reaction score
I've owned several cars & trucks since I began driving, some were manuals, others were automatics. On all the automatics I've owned, all had manual "D-3-2-1" shifters, and rarely used them to downshift.

I have a '07 Sorento EX 4x4 that has the same 3.8L V6 that is used in the Hyundai Genesis. That engine is so smooth, you cannot feel it running at stop lights or on the highway. Being very smooth plus having the Manumatic transmission does not work out well for me. Why?

Those of us that have manumatics, which are automatics with a notch that you can upshift and downshift manually. If I use the manual feature, I have to watch the tach carefully....I keep forgetting it is in low gear and the engine will hit the redline without me noticing it. That is how smooth & quiet the engine is.

Thankfully my Sorento has an onboard computer that will upshift when the engine hits redline speed.

I rode in another car that was a 4 cylinder, and when the engine revved up, it was obvious due to the vibrations and noise, so I did not have an issue forgetting that I was in manual mode.

Anyone experience this? Or am I the only one who uses the manual mode?

Usually called "Autostick" . I've tried that on one of the car that I test drove. I forgot which one. I fiddled with it for a bit. It's okay...

BUT... I prefer manual shifter because it's like connecting "Engine to Axle" rather than Automatic transmission works like two fan, one fan blowing at other fan which was off. Manual tranny give pure direct power and extremely responsive than automatic. I can shift from 5th gear to 3rd or 4th gear to 2nd gear in split seconds to slow down and cornering the car then upshift by skip from 2nd gear to 4th gear (revved engine near red line). I've shift fast and hard and it felt like I'm in high powered "go-cart" on 1989 Mazda 323. Lot of G-force felt. I can easily kick dusts and disappear on anyone who tried to chase me.

Automatic Tranny a loser, can't beat red light than stick shift does.

Catty

True, I prefer manual shifters, but less than 10% of all new cars sold in the USA are available with manuals. There are a limited number of sporty econo cars available with manuals, like the Mazda 3, Civic Si, Focus SE, and Cruze RS. The Mazda and Focus' manuals are highly rated in many magazines.

I've owned several cars & trucks since I began driving, some were manuals, others were automatics. On all the automatics I've owned, all had manual "D-3-2-1" shifters, and rarely used them to downshift.

I have a '07 Sorento EX 4x4 that has the same 3.8L V6 that is used in the Hyundai Genesis. That engine is so smooth, you cannot feel it running at stop lights or on the highway. Being very smooth plus having the Manumatic transmission does not work out well for me. Why?

Those of us that have manumatics, which are automatics with a notch that you can upshift and downshift manually. If I use the manual feature, I have to watch the tach carefully....I keep forgetting it is in low gear and the engine will hit the redline without me noticing it. That is how smooth & quiet the engine is.

Thankfully my Sorento has an onboard computer that will upshift when the engine hits redline speed.

I rode in another car that was a 4 cylinder, and when the engine revved up, it was obvious due to the vibrations and noise, so I did not have an issue forgetting that I was in manual mode.

Anyone experience this? Or am I the only one who uses the manual mode?

I tried tiptronic and it's dual clutch transmission with 6 speeds and it's pretty quick and don't feels when gears changed.

No it is not automatics due no torque converter and no it is not manual due no pressure plate.

audi-7-speed-direct-shift-gearbox-lg.jpg

True, I prefer manual shifters, but less than 10% of all new cars sold in the USA are available with manuals. There are a limited number of sporty econo cars available with manuals, like the Mazda 3, Civic Si, Focus SE, and Cruze RS. The Mazda and Focus' manuals are highly rated in many magazines.

My dad had a 1996 Chevy Cavalier, he was unusual in ordering it as a manual and hated the fact it had a 'shift up' light instead of a tacho!

Now in the UK they only have one car (the Cavalier was his commuting car) so they have to have an auto because my mother can't drive stick. Unfortunately for him, this has put him out of practice and he's refused going for a drive in any of my cars because he's not sure he'd be able to do it properly. He doesn't really like cars enough to grin and bear it when he stalls the first few times.

I had a friend in work who had a Mitsubishi FTO (he imported it from Japan!) with the first Tiptronic I'd ever seen. He just left it in auto most of the time though. Not sure if I'd be that bothered about it either, I think without a clutch I'd prefer to just have a full auto.

My dad had a 1996 Chevy Cavalier, he was unusual in ordering it as a manual and hated the fact it had a 'shift up' light instead of a tacho!

Now in the UK they only have one car (the Cavalier was his commuting car) so they have to have an auto because my mother can't drive stick. Unfortunately for him, this has put him out of practice and he's refused going for a drive in any of my cars because he's not sure he'd be able to do it properly. He doesn't really like cars enough to grin and bear it when he stalls the first few times.

I had a friend in work who had a Mitsubishi FTO (he imported it from Japan!) with the first Tiptronic I'd ever seen. He just left it in auto most of the time though. Not sure if I'd be that bothered about it either, I think without a clutch I'd prefer to just have a full auto.

I tried pontiac GTO 2005 with manual and I hate it so much due clutch pedal was awful and not comfortable for my foot/leg. I tried Subaru Impreza, Corvette, VW Jetta/Golf, Mazda, Honda, and Mitsubishi. They were pretty comfortable to me.

I tried chevy cobalt SS and I hate it so much. I guess america's design is very shitty for manual but Corvette.

I tried chevy cobalt SS and I hate it so much. I guess america's design is very shitty for manual but Corvette.

Try out the little Chevy Sonic. I was very surprised at how light and short the clutch is. The 6-speed shifts pretty well too. Car is fun, and feels a lot more expensive than the $15K sticker.

Try out the little Chevy Sonic. I was very surprised at how light and short the clutch is. The 6-speed shifts pretty well too. Car is fun, and feels a lot more expensive than the $15K sticker.

This'll make you laugh: Driving home from the supermarket just today, I saw a Chevy Aveo (European name for the Sonic) taxi. Really. It had the taxi permit plate on the back and everything. They don't do the sedan version in Europe either, this was the hatchback.

Back