Man Gets Full Face Transplant.

TheOracle

Reaction score
Full Face Transplant for Dallas Wiens, Texas Construction Worker, Is Most Complete in United States - ABC News

There's a video...no after results yet.

This guy is extremely positive. Awesome.

But Wiens said he didn't have the procedure because of how he might look after. Rather, he did it so he might feel a kiss from his 3-year-old daughter, Scarlett.

"I can't feel her kisses, and I can't truly kiss her back," he told ABC News affiliate WFAA before the procedure. "I just have to go 'click' and click my tongue to simulate a kiss."

Pomahac said Wiens may regain up to 90 percent of the sensation in his forehead, right cheek and lips.

But on top of looks and the ability to feel, the face is also critical for breathing, speaking, eating and interacting socially.

"The face is very complex organ from that standpoint and we're trying to accommodate all of those," Pomahac said.

Wiens's eyes were destroyed by the accident. But he hasn't given up on seeing again either.

"Fifteen years ago a face transplant was science fiction. What's going to happen in the next 15 years? I've got a lot of life left," he told WFAA before the procedure.

At a press conference, Del Peterson, Wiens's grandfather, described the transplant as "a miracle" and talked about how Wiens had to choose between getting bitter and getting better.

"He chose to get better," Peterson said.

And if you're interested, this woman is also on the waiting list...Charla Nash, Victim of Chimp Attack, Evaluated for Face Transplant - ABC News

Science...wow.

Back