Making a nursery for the arrival of my son

I would love to .. especially if your property manager is willing to pay the traveling expenses for me to do so. :giggle:

P.S. Do you like how I striped the lawn? I was thinking about showing it off to you when I was cutting the grass ;)

Thanks for rubbing it in how your lawn looks. ;) I used a ; and ) and got that face instead. Shoot!

Thanks for rubbing it in how your lawn looks. ;) I used a ; and ) and got that face instead. Shoot!

:giggle:

Sorry

Here I will make up for it ... I got permission to share another picture of my son

:aw:

Look at that high forehead !!!! He will be figuring out Quantum Physic Equations in no time !!! ;)

:giggle:

Sorry

Here I will make up for it ... I got permission to share another picture of my son

:aw:

Look at that high forehead !!!! He will be figuring out Quantum Physic Equations in no time !!! ;)
OK ! You're forgiven! Your son is very cute but I did not see the first photo
where it is?

It was hectic for a while - and yes, Gizmo was jealous at first. Now, he just treats TJ like a member of the family - and is very protective of him.

It's really sweet :aw:

A lot has happened. TJ's great grandmother passed away (I think I may have mentioned it earlier, but I am not sure). She was able to meet my son, then a few days later, she got her final promotion and went home. I think she was waiting to hold TJ before she died.

I was asked to give the Eulogy during the ceremony. For those not familiar with what a Eulogy is, it is a speech that commends the person whom has died. I considered it an honor to be asked to make this speech. I was very nervous, there were over 150 people at the service. Her friends, family and extended family. Her widower, my grandfather in law, sat front and center. High ranking military officers were in attendance as well (her brother was a Colonel).

I sat up late last night preparing the notes I needed, because I knew I was going to freeze, shake and choke (and I did - so I am glad I made those notes) - giving a speech has always made me nervous.

Here is what I said:

Saying goodbye is one of the hardest things we all must do. We must let go of people that we cherish, it happens to us all, eventually. However, as a Christian, I never felt comfortable with the word "goodbye". That word has a feeling of something that is permanent, there is a finality to saying goodbye. I would much rather say "until we meet again". I firmly believe this - that we will meet again.

Every once in a while, we will occasionally encounter a person who changes everything in our lives. By "change", I mean, your life is turned upside down, inside out, and you become a different person after the encounter. Well .... not an entirely different person, I mean, you will always be you, but your perception and outlook on life is forever altered, and you will forever see your life from a different angle, and a new perspective. This can sometimes be a bad thing, or it can be a blessing.

I have encountered very few such individuals that have turned my life upside down. Some have been bad experiences. I really like to think that these bad experiences are really "tests". These experiences test our resolve. They test our strength, our wisdom, and our ability to love one another. Our ability to forgive is also tested. Each of us have encountered such experiences and individuals in our lives. Whether these individuals are co-workers, at school, people whom we live with or even members of our own families. The test is meant to teach us each a lesson, and sometimes, we pass the test, and other times, we fail miserably. However, it is important that we learn from them, and that we grow from adversity.

Then, there are those very rare few individuals, that have the ability to see in us, what we cannot see for ourselves. They see the love, the kindness and the compassion that we are all very capable of. They have the unique ability to nurture those feelings, and bring them to the surface. By doing so, they forever alter our perception of life. In other words, they rescue us from overwhelming adversity. They teach us that love, is indeed, very real. They teach us that it is ok to forgive, and to let go of the feelings that hold us back from our own personal growth. They teach us that our strength never comes from anger, resentment or regret. Our strength comes from our ability to love, to forgive, to laugh and to cherish those whom cherish us.

For me, TJ's grandmother was one of those individuals. She knew I was in love with her granddaughter, even before I came to realize it. She was the one who let me know that it was "okay". She had a way of erasing the doubt and hesitation that was preventing me from expressing myself. She brought me to the surface. At the time, I was drowning in overwhelming adversity. My life turned upside down, inside out and it was a good thing. She had a way of nurturing love in all those around her.

I have never met another person who had the ability to teach such invaluable lessons about life with such clarity. Her life was an example in how we should live.

She taught me to live, and for that, I will be eternally grateful. I will pass the lessons she taught me to my son. And hopefully, someday, when he is tested ... and he will be tested .... he will have his grandma's strength, wisdom, and resolve to overcome adversity with love and compassion.

Until we meet again.

That was a very nice Eulogy you gave , was she TJ great grandmother or grandmother? I am sorry for your lost. My mother got to know her only great granddaughter for 2 years before she dies. It was my daughter's child and mom always wanted a baby with blond hair so she was so excited to have a great granddaughter with blond hair and blue eyes. I am sure TJ grandmother waited to see your son.

That was a very nice Eulogy you gave , was she TJ great grandmother or grandmother? I am sorry for your lost. My mother got to know her only great granddaughter for 2 years before she dies. It was my daughter's child and mom always wanted a baby with blond hair so she was so excited to have a great granddaughter with blond hair and blue eyes. I am sure TJ grandmother waited to see your son.

She was his great grandma. His grandma is "nana". My wife's grandma.

he little sweetie...congrats,,,have either of you had full nights sleep yet

The future at my fingertips :aw:

During the funeral on Saturday, my wife was holding Travis, and he was sound asleep. After I gave the eulogy, I walked back to my seat ... and he laughed. It was the most hearty laugh I had ever seen. A look of pure joy was on his face. He must have been dreaming about something funny.

Makes me wonder.

Yes, those were my exact feelings too. When my wife and I got the news that she was being taken to the hospital, we rushed there.

When we arrived in the room she was in ... well ... she was gone. :( My mother in law and her brother were broken hearted. Her husband, my Grandpa Jack (what I call him), was sitting by her side, silently holding her hand. She didn't die in her own arms, he was with her the whole time. My step father in law, was standing by Grandpa Jack.

My wife lost it. I was holding little TJ and my wife's reaction was overwhelming grief ... she was extremely close to her grandma. During her pregnancy, she often mentioned that she wanted her grandma to meet TJ before she died. So ... we all knew that day was close. Anyways, a doctor had to come in and rock my wife back and forth like a little baby - she was inconsolable. I had to take care of TJ until my wife was taken out of the room and brought to a family waiting room.

After a little while, different family members showed up. I was in the family waiting room singing to TJ to calm him down. Then my grandpa Jack came in, and gave me a hug. He patted my shoulder and said "She was just making room for the little one". I told him "Life sometimes belts out a bittersweet melody, and there isn't anything we can do about it. It seems like every occasion for great joy is shadowed by another occasion of great sorrow."

He just nodded his head. I felt really awful that night - he lost his best friend. Seeing a 93 year old cry is .... indescribably painful to witness.

So yes, I agree, she was waiting to meet her great grandson before she left. When she met him for the first time - it was a very happy day :)

A truly great woman. I miss her terribly.

Yes, those were my exact feelings too. When my wife and I got the news that she was being taken to the hospital, we rushed there.

When we arrived in the room she was in ... well ... she was gone. :( My mother in law and her brother were broken hearted. Her husband, my Grandpa Jack (what I call him), was sitting by her side, silently holding her hand. She didn't die in her own arms, he was with her the whole time. My step father in law, was standing by Grandpa Jack.

My wife lost it. I was holding little TJ and my wife's reaction was overwhelming grief ... she was extremely close to her grandma. During her pregnancy, she often mentioned that she wanted her grandma to meet TJ before she died. So ... we all knew that day was close. Anyways, a doctor had to come in and rock my wife back and forth like a little baby - she was inconsolable. I had to take care of TJ until my wife was taken out of the room and brought to a family waiting room.

After a little while, different family members showed up. I was in the family waiting room singing to TJ to calm him down. Then my grandpa Jack came in, and gave me a hug. He patted my shoulder and said "She was just making room for the little one". I told him "Life sometimes belts out a bittersweet melody, and there isn't anything we can do about it. It seems like every occasion for great joy is shadowed by another occasion of great sorrow."

He just nodded his head. I felt really awful that night - he lost his best friend. Seeing a 93 year old cry is .... indescribably painful to witness.

So yes, I agree, she was waiting to meet her great grandson before she left. When she met him for the first time - it was a very happy day :)

A truly great woman. I miss her terribly.

She looks like she was a very kind and loving lady.
I only met one grandparent and that was my dad's mother. She was a tall proud Russian woman and she loved to play cards and boy she was good too. She was not grandmotherly but I use to watch her like a hawk , I thought she wonderful with her thick Russian accent and pretty blue braids she wore up. I was not allowed to go her funeral, I was 8 yo and I was so upset . I was missing my grandma while reading this comment. I love what your grandpa Jack said to you making room for the little one. You should be sure to keep that photo on some acid free paper and in a good frame and away from the sun and do not hang any nice photos or pictures on walls that get hot or cold , the change temperature is bad for the photos , it will made them get moisture in the frames. I read this some place a long time ago so I can't post a link

She looks like she was a very kind and loving lady.
I only met one grandparent and that was my dad's mother. She was a tall proud Russian woman and she loved to play cards and boy she was good too. She was not grandmotherly but I use to watch her like a hawk , I thought she wonderful with her thick Russian accent and pretty blue braids she wore up. I was not allowed to go her funeral, I was 8 yo and I was so upset . I was missing my grandma while reading this comment. I love what your grandpa Jack said to you making room for the little one. You should be sure to keep that photo on some acid free paper and in a good frame and away from the sun and do not hang any nice photos or pictures on walls that get hot or cold , the change temperature is bad for the photos , it will made them get moisture in the frames. I read this some place a long time ago so I can't post a link

I was thinking today about what you said in the other thread about your mother's funeral. I have an idea. maybe you could write up a Eulogy for your mother and share it here with us. It would be your way of honoring her.

Just an idea and to help you maybe get over the hurt your sister caused.

I was thinking today about what you said in the other thread about your mother's funeral. I have an idea. maybe you could write up a Eulogy for your mother and share it here with us. It would be your way of honoring her.

Just an idea and to help you maybe get over the hurt your sister caused.

Thank you ! I am very touch by this. My mom birthday is Sept 30. I will try to write something. She would had been 98 yo.

My wife and I are making a nursery for our son (expected to be born in mid-August). She picked the color - I picked the paint. I chose Sherwin Williams paint - the classification is their "Emerald" quality paint. It is a whopping $70 a gallon :shock: but it is satin latex and crayon washable. My wife picked a color called "fun yellow" which isn't my preference - I wanted a cool blue (which I think would have a more calming effect) but I am not the "boss". ;)

I also painted the trim with ultra bright white hi-gloss enamel and the paint is made by Glidden.

Both paints are extremely easy to deal with and are very rich textured. I also picked up some removable wall stickers and I am in the process of putting up a border in the room now - the following is an iphone picture and I will take high quality pictures once the project is complete:

This looks very relaxing. I may paint my room this color. Its nice to see that women still have the power in the world.:lol:

Back