Making a nursery for the arrival of my son

Steinhauer

Reaction score
My wife and I are making a nursery for our son (expected to be born in mid-August). She picked the color - I picked the paint. I chose Sherwin Williams paint - the classification is their "Emerald" quality paint. It is a whopping $70 a gallon :shock: but it is satin latex and crayon washable. My wife picked a color called "fun yellow" which isn't my preference - I wanted a cool blue (which I think would have a more calming effect) but I am not the "boss". ;)

I also painted the trim with ultra bright white hi-gloss enamel and the paint is made by Glidden.

Both paints are extremely easy to deal with and are very rich textured. I also picked up some removable wall stickers and I am in the process of putting up a border in the room now - the following is an iphone picture and I will take high quality pictures once the project is complete:

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the room when it's done. :)

I love the color. I agree with your wife about fun yellow. Is that kind of animal themed nursery?

Adorable! My son's nursery was yellow as well. I think it's a happy color

When my daughter was a baby we lived in a rental so we couldn't paint the walls but I decorated her room with yellow linens and accent items. I also picked yellow because we didn't know if the baby was going to be a girl or a boy, so it was a "safe" color. :lol:

Papa Stein, you can still accent the room with blue--it goes nicely with yellow. :)

When my daughter was a baby we lived in a rental so we couldn't paint the walls but I decorated her room with yellow linens and accent items. I also picked yellow because we didn't know if the baby was going to be a girl or a boy, so it was a "safe" color. :lol:

Papa Stein, you can still accent the room with blue--it goes nicely with yellow. :)

Buff N' Blue. I like it ! Gally colors.

I am thinking about putting up a mural but I don't want to go overboard. There is a place where you can send photos and they will make large wall murals for you. I like some of the ones they have already, like a picture of an ancient village in Italy. But, for a nursery that wouldn't fit. Maybe something from The Jungle Book ...Rikki Tikki Tavi. I don't know yet.

My wife and I are making a nursery for our son (expected to be born in mid-August). She picked the color - I picked the paint. I chose Sherwin Williams paint - the classification is their "Emerald" quality paint. It is a whopping $70 a gallon :shock: but it is satin latex and crayon washable. My wife picked a color called "fun yellow" which isn't my preference - I wanted a cool blue (which I think would have a more calming effect) but I am not the "boss". ;)

I also painted the trim with ultra bright white hi-gloss enamel and the paint is made by Glidden.

Both paints are extremely easy to deal with and are very rich textured. I also picked up some removable wall stickers and I am in the process of putting up a border in the room now - the following is an iphone picture and I will take high quality pictures once the project is complete:

BABIES R US?
We did basically the same theme, except I hand painted ours.

and then he arrived...3 years ago

I hope your baby does not get bad dreams when he/she has a cold , all those animals could come to life.

All these projects people get done around here make me feel lazy! Love the jungle animals, it's what we put up too.

Sherwin Williams has great paint but $70/gal, wow! I hope you were able to do it with one can! I was just painting in my house and winced at the $40/gal, I guess that's just what things cost now!

- sonocativo

That is really awesome what you did. Hand painting takes a lot of patience. I had asked my wife if I could hand paint some Sesame Street gang type graffiti (but tasteful) and she said "noooooooooo!" I still think it would have been cool because that is some big bird yellow right there :lol:

- busybee

Yes, Sherwin Williams paint has gone up significantly. I used to be a pro house painter. My father had owned a home remodel company for years, so I grew up around the business. I have done just about everything related to making a house look pretty - from landscaping work, cabinetry, trim carpentry, roofing, sheetrock, hard wood floors, tile, ..... just about everything - but my specialty was painting. I was once flown to Miami to paint someone's home there. They had a house here, and after a day of watching me work - they wanted me to paint all their homes and their families' homes.

But I was a young kid and did not want any part of the business (it was tedious and i got burned out - I was painting some days for up to 16 hours).... a wiser man now. So I paint for friends now and then.

Sherwin Williams used to sell a paint called Classic 99. They no longer carry it :( That was pretty good paint. This "emerald" brand is far, far superior to Classic 99. It covers very well. It took me 1 and a half gallons to put two coats on the entire room.

We used Behr Low VOC paints. Took the bedding to match colors.

I have worked with Behr paints before (Home Depot Brand) and when they first starting selling that paint, it was embarrassingly awful. This would be about 15-20 years ago or so. You would have to paint 3-4 coats to get the coverage of one coat of Sherwin Williams Classic 99.

However, they have come a long way since then. So has Glidden. The paint I used for the trim had an overpowering chemical odor (I am used to it) much like mineral spirits. However, it was a gel based paint (cannot be shaken - must be stirred). The quality was comparable to Sherwin Williams Industrial Enamel.

I hope your baby does not get bad dreams when he/she has a cold , all those animals could come to life.

That is a pretty good point and I don't think many people "remember" being that young. I do though. I remember being about 1 and 1/2 to 2 years old and every time my family would visit an Aunt and Uncle, I slept in a crib in my cousin's room. On the wall across from the crib was a diaper holder that hung on a hook. The diaper holder was made to look like a clown ... and that ....THING .... was MONSTROUS!!!!:Ohno:

I wanted to be as far away from it as I could. It just sat there with a weird smile on its face ... staring at me. Creepy ....

I also remember looking through my dad's library one day with my older brother, and he had some encyclopedias with color photos of fish in them. Some of the fish looked very scary - I didn't even want to touch the page because I was afraid the fish in the picture would bite me.

My dog came in to check on me when I was painting the room - I think he approved of the color too:

I realize that we had happy fun yellow too. We couldn't able to find out what sex baby was when we first had our baby. We had yellow wall with light mint along with tiggers only. LOL well only a few pictures of tiggers family, but tiggers huge one was in middle of the wall. They were stickers. ah

Back