Makaton?

sculleywr

Reaction score
I have been speaking on youtube with a person who has been certified as an interpreter in Britain for both BSL and a signing language or system called Makaton. I asked him if he could give me some information, and he wants to mail it to me. However, until I receive this package, I need to see if anyone here knows what it is. On Google I found the basic thing I see about every signing system, that signing is a way to improve communication between a Deaf or HOH child or adult and the world around them. However, I want more and would like to hear it from a perspective of the people here. Anyone have any clues?

I have been speaking on youtube with a person who has been certified as an interpreter in Britain for both BSL and a signing language or system called Makaton. I asked him if he could give me some information, and he wants to mail it to me. However, until I receive this package, I need to see if anyone here knows what it is. On Google I found the basic thing I see about every signing system, that signing is a way to improve communication between a Deaf or HOH child or adult and the world around them. However, I want more and would like to hear it from a perspective of the people here. Anyone have any clues?

Makaton isn't really used with deaf people unless they have additional special needs. I do know that in the UK it was used quite a bit with children with Down's syndrome regardless of whether they were deaf or hearing but who have difficulty communicating. I knew a young man with Down's who was taught it although he didn't seem to use it. It is not a complex language like BSL.

Is there a similar manual system in the US for use with children with Down's syndrome?

Makaton isn't really used with deaf people unless they have additional special needs. I do know that in the UK it was used quite a bit with children with Down's syndrome regardless of whether they were deaf or hearing but who have difficulty communicating. I knew a young man with Down's who was taught it although he didn't seem to use it. It is not a complex language like BSL.

Is there a similar manual system in the US for use with children with Down's syndrome?

I don't know. Does anyone know if it has different syntax or anything like that?

Back