mainstreamed

theninjaholly

Reaction score
I went to hearing schools all my life... sometimes i think it would have been better if i went to Deaf school... can anyone tell me how Deaf schools are different from mainstreams?

I went to hearing schools all my life... sometimes i think it would have been better if i went to Deaf school... can anyone tell me how Deaf schools are different from mainstreams?

Are you deaf?

there are several threads about the mainstreamed schools here. guess you just joined alldeaf right away.

welcome. :)

I can't tell you what is the difference between mainstreamed or deaf school. So i went to deaf school all my life. I had lots of good memories and involved lots of activities and clubs. I can communicate with anyone in my school without struggles.

Ever felt at times you couldn't effectively participate in classroom discussions because what you had to say is a bit too "late" or delayed?
Same goes for your relationship with the teacher - Did you feel like you had access to asking any questions or did you have to "suck some of it up" and miss out on asking questions?

Ever felt at times your best friend was the interpreter?

Ever felt that your interpreter crossed their boundaries by telling the superiors what you said?

Ever felt that you were left out the loop when teachers/interpreters were talking about you without using sign language and you know it?

Ever felt that you were limited to certain social groups (ie: SBG, after school activities, class activities, sports)?

It goes on....

I went to public school all my life. I can not think what is different between deaf school and mainstreamed.

I know there is deaf education program in public school and some deaf accepted to be in mainstreamed like me. Some deaf does not accepted in mainstreamed like my other friends who been in deaf education program all their life.

I can see different between with them and mine is communication alot different. The subjects are not follows up, grammers are different levels,and math, too.

Like High School, we (mainstreamed) use the English 1 to 4 but Deaf Education use the grammer books, not English books. Same thing with Math, deaf ed uses MATH books but we mainstreamed uses Algebra to Trimology (sp). Aother subjects are different, too.

I met all my classmates who went to deaf school and deaf ed classes were more smart than I ever seen in my life. I am aveager person like them.

one once decide go to mainstreamed after grew in deaf school. Give up and return to deaf school after a month or 2.

Apparently that mainstream have more high level than Deaf does. While Deaf school make better language for specs deaf itself!

deaf school is more accessible............deaf school nobody teases you about shit like hearing aids, CIs or the way you talk. Deaf school the teachers know how to teach kids like us.

one once decide go to mainstreamed after grew in deaf school. Give up and return to deaf school after a month or 2.

Apparently that mainstream have more high level than Deaf does. While Deaf school make better language for specs deaf itself!

One of the questions today for my math lesson was ....

If Haley thinks 8 + 4 = 12 is the answer to solve the subtraction sentence 8-4, is she correct. Why or why not?

Also...one question on today's science test.

The gas surrounding the Earth is called the ______________.
A. hydrosphere
B. water cycle
C. atmosphere

That is to my deaf 3rd graders at a deaf school without needing to use ASL. All given to them to read and complete.

Deaf school dumbs down the curriculm? Sure whatever.

More cute guys at deaf school than mainstream that's all I know for now, lol. But if u go to Gally or NTID/ RIT more better guys than deaf school.

One of the questions today for my math lesson was ....

If Haley thinks 8 + 4 = 12 is the answer to solve the subtraction sentence 8-4, is she correct. Why or why not?

Also...one question on today's science test.

The gas surrounding the Earth is called the ______________.
A. hydrosphere
B. water cycle
C. atmosphere

That is to my deaf 3rd graders at a deaf school without needing to use ASL. All given to them to read and complete.

Deaf school dumbs down the curriculm? Sure whatever.
Well I do think that while there are very good academic schools, and schools with a large number of academic kids/programs there ARE schools that have a large number of mentally disabled kids or kids who are behind due to deaf schools being dumping grounds :(

and I DO think that a lot of hearing parents would be surprised at the quality of the instruction at deaf schools. I think many deaf schools are hidden gems.

sometimes us parents don't have a choice of where to send our kids depending on your location/situation, if we had a deaf school in my city, one of the largest cities in america, btw, i would send my kids there in a heart beat

sometimes us parents don't have a choice of where to send our kids depending on your location/situation, if we had a deaf school in my city, one of the largest cities in america, btw, i would send my kids there in a heart beat

You always have a choice.

You can move.

we can't move, not an option in our situation

So, do what you have to do to make it an option.

I noticed you joined last month, but this is your first attempt at posting. No introduction or anything. So, tell us something about your kids.

Totally agree. Simply don't understand the parents who won't.

i won't go into personal details,but everyone has unique circumstances, i am agreeing with you all that a deaf school would be a great choice, i strongly believe the city i live in should have a deaf school, i don't understand why we do not have one

i won't go into personal details,but everyone has unique circumstances, i am agreeing with you all that a deaf school would be a great choice, i strongly believe the city i live in should have a deaf school, i don't understand why we do not have one

Why did you join if you don't want to tell us anything about yourself or your children?

Why did you join if you don't want to tell us anything about yourself or your children?

i will share what i feel comfortable with, as you mention i am new to the site, but one of my kids is mildly to moderately hoh, and my other child is profoundly to serverly deaf, i am hearing

Back