Mainstreamed or Deaf School?

amc5754

Reaction score
What school did you went to when growing up?

I never went to a deaf school sooo yeah. mainstreamed.

Was mainstreamed as my parents were flat out told not to allow me to have any special attention or considerations.

for K-6, most of the day at deaf school, 2-3 classes at adjoining elementary school. Middle school and up, mainstreamed with interpreters.

For the six years that comprised elementary school, three years in special program, and three years home schooled.

For middle school and high school, completely mainstreamed except for some pull outs.

I learned the most in the years I was not in formal school.

I was mainstreamed, although very early on I remember being in "deaf ed". My mom wasn't happy with the education I was getting in "deaf ed" so she insisted I be put in with the regular kids - this was before mainstreaming existed on a widespread basis. So when they "officially" switched to mainstreaming deaf kids, I was already being mainstreamed. Unfortunately accommodations for me were nothing more than my mom fighting with the teachers to make sure they faced me so I could read their lips. It wasn't long before my mom put me in private schools, hoping the smaller classes would make it easier for the teachers to do so. It didn't.

From nursery to 8th grade - Deaf oral public school
9th to 12th - Deaf private Catholilc school (they use ASL/PSE).

Last edited:
Mainstreamed, unfortunately.

I was mainstreamed in both elementary which I was force to use FM only and being in the deaf education only one classroom and no ASL, just lipreading except gym (hearing) and in high school with no accommodations and no ASL. I had wished to go into Deaf school but the head of the Deaf school told my mom that I was too smart and that I should be in the mainstream school. I was so dismayed and miserable that I was going to suffered some more and I hate mainstream schools. :ugh: :barf:

Deaf school (non-residential campus) from 16 months old until at the age of 9, mainstreamed from 4th grade throughout senior year.

Back