Low Cost Free Standing Housing?

FriendlyGuy

Reaction score
Hello, does anyone here familiar with being able to live with your own house low costly? Like are there more cost effective options rather than traditional buying? Or are there services that you can leverage to make it easier to be able to buy/get one?

I am asking this because on where I live the houses are easily 150k which means assuming the down payment rates are about the standard 10% I would need to stash 15k just to get it (if that even all it is, I am sure there other BS involved too).

The main reason I would like to buy verses say renting an apartment so I can do "whatever I want" to an extend of course. But I means like being able to more easily say add a solar array or a wind turbine or what not to be eventually "off the grid" Just to name one thing I would sure be "impossible" with renting. As well be able to CONTROL variables like when to call for a HVAC repair guy instead of waiting FOREVER for our current landlord to flipping fix it!

If you cannot save 15K you may not be able to manage all the hidden costs of home ownership. Without the habit of saving significant portions of our income there is no way to manage sudden costs, such as the HVAC dying completely, or needing a new roof.

Many areas have permit regulations that do not allow wind turbines. They are noisy and neighbors usually hate them. Deaf people, of course, do not mind. My main point is that we are NEVER free to do whatever we please. Research an area thoroughly to see if what you seek is permitted, then figure out if you can reliably find work nearby.

It sounds like you want to stay in your present area. Great. Visit the city's permit department to find out if your dreams can be realized where you are. By the time you do all your research you may have saved a bunch more money. If not... then what you desire may not be possible or advisable.

If I wanted what you want I would find a rural area that allows what you hope for, buy a lot and put a manufactured home on it, or better, find one already available.

If you cannot save 15K you may not be able to manage all the hidden costs of home ownership. Without the habit of saving significant portions of our income there is no way to manage sudden costs, such as the HVAC dying completely, or needing a new roof.

Well maybe if I explained a bit more it will make more logical sense. While saving the 15k may be a challenge due to government limitations of benefits. Even if I held at a given time a few grands that would surely be enough for at the min a well down payment for a major repair. Say for financing for a new HVAC or for a major roof job correct? Plus let's be honest a good homeowner's insurance could even further "cushion" the need to pay out of pocket for every single repair unless...

1. The component of the house just "dies" say a HVAC dying out due to wear or tear or after the warranty is expired
2. It was done as own fault or as they call it as "never event".

Right?

Many areas have permit regulations that do not allow wind turbines. They are noisy and neighbors usually hate them. Deaf people, of course, do not mind. My main point is that we are NEVER free to do whatever we please. Research an area thoroughly to see if what you seek is permitted, then figure out if you can reliably find work nearby.

Okay I get what you means, after all if you wanted a pink barn well... Good luck with loving the neighbors with that "bright idea". Thanks for also advising to check the area's codes as well.

It sounds like you want to stay in your present area. Great. Visit the city's permit department to find out if your dreams can be realized where you are. By the time you do all your research you may have saved a bunch more money. If not... then what you desire may not be possible or advisable.

Are there not disabled and/or first time home owners support options so I can get support for buying a house at a lesser down payment or some other support?

If I wanted what you want I would find a rural area that allows what you hope for, buy a lot and put a manufactured home on it, or better, find one already available.

I am wondering about that too, but I am not sure if it any more cost effective to buy both "separately" or it best to get them traditionally.

Thanks in advance!

Well maybe if I explained a bit more it will make more logical sense. While saving the 15k may be a challenge due to government limitations of benefits. Even if I held at a given time a few grands that would surely be enough for at the min a well down payment for a major repair. Say for financing for a new HVAC or for a major roof job correct? Plus let's be honest a good homeowner's insurance could even further "cushion" the need to pay out of pocket for every single repair unless...

1. The component of the house just "dies" say a HVAC dying out due to wear or tear or after the warranty is expired
2. It was done as own fault or as they call it as "never event".

Right?
Maybe. Find out before you get tangled. If, for instance, one knows your HVAC system is 15 years old some companies would prorate the payout, leaving you responsible for 85% of the cost. A roof is a 20 year investment, so the timeline is longer.

[/QUOTE]
Are there not disabled and/or first time home owners support options so I can get support for buying a house at a lesser down payment or some other support?[/QUOTE]

For veterans, maybe. You might gain by talking to the nearest chapter of Habitat for Humanity. They sometimes do homes for disabled people.

[/QUOTE] I am wondering about that too, but I am not sure if it any more cost effective to buy both "separately" or it best to get them traditionally.

Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]

In almost all cases it will be cheaper to buy a home already there. Depreciation on a not-new home is already factored in. Even something built only 20 years ago will be much less expensive than homes built since construction costs ballooned so mightily.

Depending on where you want to live, if you can afford buy some land, all you need is a mobile home. Mobile Homes are generally less than 100K and some less than 50K. You often need to make it non-mobile (set on blocks or something) for a town to consider it a permanent residence. You'll also need to pay to if you want to get it hooked up to public water, electricity, etc. or could leave it disconnect with it own system.

If you can handle a very small space, look into "tiny houses." These are also usually under 100K and have low monthly payments if you qualify.
https://www.tumbleweedhouses.com/tiny-houses-for-sale/

Depending on where you want to live, if you can afford buy some land, all you need is a mobile home. Mobile Homes are generally less than 100K and some less than 50K. You often need to make it non-mobile (set on blocks or something) for a town to consider it a permanent residence. You'll also need to pay to if you want to get it hooked up to public water, electricity, etc. or could leave it disconnect with it own system.

If you can handle a very small space, look into "tiny houses." These are also usually under 100K and have low monthly payments if you qualify.

That kinda what I been looking for actually thanks a bunch! I could then more easily maintain one too. I would just of course needs to check with everything but I don't see why this isn't a option to consider. Given that a "full sized" house comes at up to triple of the pricing and about a 30% additional down payment.

If I am only the guy in a ~200SQFT main floor I don't see why this wouldn't works. I believer Cedar's Point cabins are about 300ish and I didn't find them too bad of a place to even call home for like 2 or even 3 people.

f you can handle a very small space, look into "tiny houses." These are also usually under 100K and have low monthly payments if you qualify.

Emailed them and it been more than 2 business days. I got a feeling they won't respond to my question... Who else sell prefabricated for under 50k for under 10k down, delivery included and low cost monthly payments?

All I been seeing online are kits or listings not houses that I can just have "delivered" to order as this site offers.

A google search for "tiny houses" will bring up some other sites.

This is a listing of people that have their houses up for sale:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tin...Harc3cAhVSrlkKHfM-DlsQsxgIKA&biw=1920&bih=949

This is a contract that builds them:
https://www.tinyhomebuilders.com/tiny-houses

You should check if it is legal where ever you plan to put it. This is an article about a woman who ran into trouble trying to find a lawful place to park her house:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/tiny-houses-are-trendy-minimalist-and-often-illegal

The world is filled with far too many rules.

A google search for "tiny houses" will bring up some other sites.

This is a listing of people that have their houses up for sale:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tin...Harc3cAhVSrlkKHfM-DlsQsxgIKA&biw=1920&bih=949

This is a contract that builds them:
https://www.tinyhomebuilders.com/tiny-houses

You should check if it is legal where ever you plan to put it. This is an article about a woman who ran into trouble trying to find a lawful place to park her house:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/tiny-houses-are-trendy-minimalist-and-often-illegal

The world is filled with far too many rules.
How absurd and it likely due to one thing if that mostly means having to be hooked to the grid (utilities) so they can cash in the tax dollars.

Our tax dollars at work people... I don't know what I am honestly going to do given that Ohio is not one of the "few"...
https://americantinyhouseassociation.org/ohio/

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gate...tm$3.0$vid=amlegal:cleveland_oh$anc=JD_355.04

I follow one of my favorite blogs that she is into real estate and interior design. They moved to Florida from California. She is learning more about Florida real estate down there. She and her fiance were forced to demolish the old house due to the fire, and have to rebuild the new rental house. They just learned they have to PAY for driveway and sidewalks, because they thought the sidewalks are a city property. Despite the neighborhood has NO sidewalks. It is going to cost them 12k-13k thousands dollars. It's crazy.

The law is that the first 6 feet of any property belongs to the city. I am not sure if that is Minnesota law (where I live) or if that’s standard across all states. But anything beyond 6 feet is up to the homeowner.

The law is that the first 6 feet of any property belongs to the city. I am not sure if that is Minnesota law (where I live) or if that’s standard across all states. But anything beyond 6 feet is up to the homeowner.

That's interesting. They didn't say anything about 6 feet part except they said that if you plan to build any new house/major renovation, you are required to pay for sidewalks.

That's interesting. They didn't say anything about 6 feet part except they said that if you plan to build any new house/major renovation, you are required to pay for sidewalks.
It’s crazy what city codes make you do. I hear much of the same thing among other people doing remodeling or rebuilding. It’s unfortunate your friends didn’t know this up front.

It’s crazy what city codes make you do. I hear much of the same thing among other people doing remodeling or rebuilding. It’s unfortunate your friends didn’t know this up front.

It is especially once the following is accounted for...
Despite the neighborhood has NO sidewalks.

If YOU has to install sideways why doesn't the neighborhood doesn't has to complies? That's like a website that was hosted on older hardware not requiring the same compliance as a site on 2018 hardware. It's make no sense!!

It depends on what your standard of living can support. I do not mean this to be lame at all. More of an observation of determination in action. For instance you can use city data on the internet and a road atlas and find a niche town that fits it. Women are amazing at stomping a penny until its begging for mercy out of necessity. Find a town with more women than men in a semirural area or semiurban however you look at it and there you will find the most bang for your buck. Not necessarily the kind of bang you might imply, These rugged individuals often support multiple kids, pets, a beater they keep running, own their home and live inside their miniscule cash flow with the power grace and style of an Olympic athlete. They pull it off by that old adage location location location. In a world gone mad wherever they are they make it better. Observe and learn and respect.It wont be your way I guarantee that but it shows another side of the thin coin.

If YOU has to install sideways why doesn't the neighborhood doesn't has to complies? That's like a website that was hosted on older hardware not requiring the same compliance as a site on 2018 hardware. It's make no sense!!

I wish they were my friends. She is well known for her DIY works. She knows a bit about real estate because her mother is in real estate in California. I follow her for years since she opened her Etsy shop and moved on to DIY and real estate. She also designed and created her wildly popular font, too. I love her cute font. She remembers me because I make comments sometimes on her blog or Instagram. I did ask her if it was a new law in Tampa, FL regarding sidewalks. She stated it is not in every neighborhood. She has the option to pay a fine instead, but the fine costs the same as sidewalks. Ouch.....

I wish they were my friends. She is well known for her DIY works. She knows a bit about real estate because her mother is in real estate in California. I follow her for years since she opened her Etsy shop and moved on to DIY and real estate. She also designed and created her wildly popular font, too. I love her cute font. She remembers me because I make comments sometimes on her blog or Instagram. I did ask her if it was a new law in Tampa, FL regarding sidewalks. She stated it is not in every neighborhood. She has the option to pay a fine instead, but the fine costs the same as sidewalks. Ouch.....

Geehz it seems like the only way to do this cost effecitivty for myself to have contacts like you have. If anything at least to help me sort out the legal BS so I can understand what's the best cases and/or options when it comes to low cost housing that won't end me in jail...

I don't know where you live. If you live in a city, you're going to have to deal with so many updated city codes and permit. It's a pain in the butt. Many houses in California are famous for additional rooms, converted garage, and pools without a permit. It's illegal. I recall watching Flip or Flop on HGTV. They deal with houses with illegal additional rooms, and it cost them several thousands bucks to take illegal rooms down. I'm not a fan of Flip or Flop, because they're so reckless. Bleh.

I don't know where you live. If you live in a city, you're going to have to deal with so many updated city codes and permit. It's a pain in the butt. Many houses in California are famous for additional rooms, converted garage, and pools without a permit. It's illegal. I recall watching Flip or Flop on HGTV. They deal with houses with illegal additional rooms, and it cost them several thousands bucks to take illegal rooms down. I'm not a fan of Flip or Flop, because they're so reckless. Bleh.

I am sure there some places that are minimal friendly. Like down the street where I am in an association they have these houses that are probably like 1k in square footage and a garage and that's it. If for example I could get more support and information maybe I can have one of those built from scratch at a "do able" fee if a Tiny House is too much involved to get "legalized".

Back