Loss

Oceanbreeze

Reaction score
Less than a year after putting one of our two Tebetan Terriers to sleep due to a progressive eye disease that left him blind (plus other serious health problems), we learned that our other Tebtan Terrier, Morgan, has liver cancer. He also has the same eye disease our other dog had and is going blind, too. We had known for about two years that Morgan was declining. It really became obvious in the last 6 mos when he started losing weight, would vomit his food periodically, and just last Sat, he had was looked like a seizure.

We decided we would get a diagnosis to see if there was anything we could for him, but no. He has lumps all over him and his skin is yellow. It's obvious he's jaundiced. His blood work was a mess indicating both liver and kidney issues. In short, the cancer is pretty much everywhere. We plan to have him put down, but not right away. As of right now, he doesn't appear to be in pain. He also still eats/drinks and has enough energy to play with his toys and the pups occasionally. We decided as a family that once he quits eating or shows other signs of deterioration (or if his seizure activity worsens), we'll let him go. It's sad, though. It's going to be a hard day when we do let him pass.

*sigh* It's been a tough year for us. A very tough year. :(

I'm very sorry to hear that. It's a tough situation. :(

Thank you, Glenn. The vet said prognosis is about a year. Apparently, the liver cancer is slow growing. We noticed symptoms starting about two years ago; like I said. He started getting lumps on his skin. There were also some other subtle things going on. We sort of figured something was going on, but he was still acting normally. He was holding his weight good and eating well. Like I said, too, things really began to deteriorate further about 6 mos ago. Tests indicated that he has the tumor on his liver. Blood work indicated kidney function decline, so it's probably in his kidneys, too. It also has gone to his brain. Admittedly, we're not ready to let him go yet, but we will when we feel the time is right. Like I said, probably in the next few weeks. The vet said the seizures will become more frequent. They can also get to a point where they won't stop. He'll just have one right after another until they kill him. We don't want to put him through that, so, we'll let him pass peacefully.

All of your experience is familiar. My ex lost her dog to cancer.

All of your experience is familiar. My ex lost her dog to cancer.

Yes, thank you. We're letting Morgan tell us when the time is right. His body will tell us. Incidently, he'll be 14 in two days. He's lived a long, good life.

So sad to hear it....Wishing Morgan pain-free and happy days until it's time for him to go!...He will let you know....l

:hug:

My dear friend, I can understand how you feel.

People always tell us never to treat animals like our babies but it's so hard not to. They give us unconditional love and they never judge us. They're beautiful creatures and they always manage to fit in the crook of our arms so perfectly.

Oh I wish I could hug you, honey. I do understand your pain.

Just take comfort in the fact you have Morgan now and for 14 years.. that is a long time. You know how to reach me and I'll be there to listen.

Sorry about the loss and finding out the other one is going the same way. It's hard losing beloved pets -- 14 years is a long time -- he's lived a long good life with a loving family.

I'm really sorry Oceanbreeze. It's so hard when your pet get sick and you have to make those awful decisions. :(

ohhh, OB, I was afraid to read this and am so very sorry:grouphug:
Botti is sadly correct about those awful decisions...remember we had to make one - our very special first-ever Rottie.
I am thinking of you, Ocean:cry:

Well, everyone... I'm typing this thru tears. Morgan stopped eating this morning. He goes to the food bowl, looks at it, but doesn't eat. Drinks like crazy, though.

Morgan is now actively dying, so instead of it being weeks, it'll be days. I don't know if we're just going to let him pass or my Dad will take him in to the vet (haven't had that conversation yet). He still doesn't seem to be in pain. He's just slipping away.

:(

Thank you all for your love and support; especially you, MB. :ily:

Well, everyone... I'm typing this thru tears. Morgan stopped eating this morning. He goes to the food bowl, looks at it, but doesn't eat. Drinks like crazy, though.

Morgan is now actively dying, so instead of it being weeks, it'll be days. I don't know if we're just going to let him pass or my Dad will take him in to the vet (haven't had that conversation yet). He still doesn't seem to be in pain. He's just slipping away.

I'm glad that Morgan is living his life to its fullest.

I'm glad that Morgan is living his life to its fullest.

He has, Jiro. It's just sad to see him like this.

I just hope that my Dad doesn't prolong this. Nobody likes letting pets go, but I believe in a peaceful, gentle end. The kindest thing we could do at this point is take him into the vet.

I really do need to go now. I can barely see the keyboard as I type. :cry:

oceanbreeze:kiss:radioman

hope things will look up for you this year from this point on.

Oceanbreeze, I am so sorry to hear about your beloved dogs being sick , I know what you're going through about having to decide when it time to say goodbye to your dog. It was the most difficult decision I ever had to made putting my beloved dog down, he was going the same thing as your dog . And I knew he was in pain as he was starting to growl and bark at me as he thought I was hurting him.
I am really sorry to hear that you are going through the same thing as me.
My thoughts are with you and your family.

:hug: Dear friend, I'm tearing up as I type this too.

It hurts to see a friend hurt.

Hang in there. :ily:

Back