Looks like I need to call my ENT

etalton

Reaction score
When I was there in December, the day of my activation, my surgeon mentioned something about a weakness somewhere in my ear and possible surgery in the future with a cartilage transplant. I couldn't understand much more than that, but now, I have noticed this weird indentation behind my ear that was not there before. I am worried that was what he was talking about. I guess I have to call this week and see if I can get in for a check-up. He said he wanted to see me every 4 months..it's only one month off.

I also have an indentation behind my ear, and I am pretty sure it's normal. I can't explain why though.

I also have an indentation behind my ear, and I am pretty sure it's normal. I can't explain why though.

Can I say "WHEW"? Just hearing (no pun intended) that someone else has that is a big relief. It just feels so funky!!!
I am still going to call..just to make sure. But, I do feel better...thanks.

Can I say "WHEW"? Just hearing (no pun intended) that someone else has that is a big relief. It just feels so funky!!!
I am still going to call..just to make sure. But, I do feel better...thanks.

Hehe, when I feel behind both of my ears at the same time, it feels like my implanted ear was shifted forward, exposing the indentation underneath. However I asked people if my ears are asymmetrical, and they said no. So I dunno...

Hehe, when I feel behind both of my ears at the same time, it feels like my implanted ear was shifted forward, exposing the indentation underneath. However I asked people if my ears are asymmetrical, and they said no. So I dunno...

Hubby said it felt weird too, but when I look in the mirror, there is no change in the front. Just like a huge "dimple" behind my ear..well, huge to me, since it wasn't there before.

I do not have a CI, but my CI audiologist (when I was considering this) said there would be an indentation after surgery. It sounded as if this was the norm for most everyone with a CI.

I do not have a CI, but my CI audiologist (when I was considering this) said there would be an indentation after surgery. It sounded as if this was the norm for most everyone with a CI.
If that is the case, I need to have a talk with my surgeon as he left that out. It is not anywhere near the implant, it is just behind the earlobe, in the middle.
Odd...

If that is the case, I need to have a talk with my surgeon as he left that out. It is not anywhere near the implant, it is just behind the earlobe, in the middle.
Odd...

Huh. Then I don't know. I better stay out of this since I don't have a CI. I just wanted to provide a little reassurance that this might be normal. I remembered when I was with the CI audi and she mentioned the indentation, at that time I was saying to myself I wasn't going to worry about that because I have long hair and the hair would cover any indentation. That was why I remembered her mentioning this.

Odd...

Pleas let us know what the surgeon says. I'm curious myself. Although I dont think it is a cause for alarm. :)

Pleas let us know what the surgeon says. I'm curious myself. Although I dont think it is a cause for alarm. :)

I am sure it is nothing..I am just alarmed due to a discussion with my surgeon before I was activated. At that point, I could barely catch any words even with speech reading..so, most likely making a mountain out of a molehill. But..that is me..prepare for the worst...

Before everyone start freaking out...:)

The indentations is where the surgeon "drilled" a path for the implant arrays to travel to a small hole that's closer to the ear.

I'll try to explain.

Touch your implant, the rounded part is the coil part, then right below it is thicker part - this is the processor (the titanium shell). Right under it is two arrays. One is for ground, the other has the electrodes.

The one with the electrode is placed in a path...kind of like a ditch. Then the hole where the array is placed into is right behind your ear on the top part in the skull. That's where the electrodes are being fed into to the cochlea. Surgeons do not drill a hole where the implant is, otherwise, it would have to go through much thicker bone (skull), and potential to be too close to the brain.

All of the indentations is normal. I think it's better than feeling the array just under the skin. It also keeps the arrays in place...if it was just loose, it would cause problems.

Hope I was a little clear on this! Believe me, it freaked me out too...until I figured it out, and my surgeon confirmed with me.

Huh. Then I don't know. I better stay out of this since I don't have a CI. I just wanted to provide a little reassurance that this might be normal. I remembered when I was with the CI audi and she mentioned the indentation, at that time I was saying to myself I wasn't going to worry about that because I have long hair and the hair would cover any indentation. That was why I remembered her mentioning this.

you can't really see the indentation. Only the person who's feeling it, will. So, no worries there.

Before everyone start freaking out...:)

The indentations is where the surgeon "drilled" a path for the implant arrays to travel to a small hole that's closer to the ear.

I'll try to explain.

Touch your implant, the rounded part is the coil part, then right below it is thicker part - this is the processor (the titanium shell). Right under it is two arrays. One is for ground, the other has the electrodes.

The one with the electrode is placed in a path...kind of like a ditch. Then the hole where the array is placed into is right behind your ear on the top part in the skull. That's where the electrodes are being fed into to the cochlea. Surgeons do not drill a hole where the implant is, otherwise, it would have to go through much thicker bone (skull), and potential to be too close to the brain.

All of the indentations is normal. I think it's better than feeling the array just under the skin. It also keeps the arrays in place...if it was just loose, it would cause problems.

Hope I was a little clear on this! Believe me, it freaked me out too...until I figured it out, and my surgeon confirmed with me.

Thanks Lady Sekhmet. That all makes sense and my surgeon probably mentioned it but, back then, my hearing was in such rapid decline and I could barely understand anything being said.
:topic:
I am so sorry to read about your loss. Having had cats my entire adult life, I know how they work their way into our hearts. Each one is special and a treasure.

:topic:
I am so sorry to read about your loss. Having had cats my entire adult life, I know how they work their way into our hearts. Each one is special and a treasure.

I am so sorry to hear of this too, Lady. I did not see this until Etalton said this. I have 3 cats myself right now and lost 2 somewhat recently, both to CRF. So my heart goes out to you, I know how it is to lose a beloved pet.

hi Et. its done they did the surgery monday.... was wondering.. did they pack something in your ear canal and leave? i had someone to call today to find out when i could wash my hair and was told NO. not to get anything wet whatsoever until i seen the surgeon again to take the staples out (15 staples on the outside of my head) and take something they packed in the ear canal out. no one said anything about it at the hospital. any ideas?

Jesus christ (sorry if i offend anyone) ncff07, You should have an information pack when you leave hospital! the pack in your ear should be left in until the surgeon takes it out, it's dipped in antiseptic to ward off infections. I had mine in for 2 weeks! I had help from other people to wash my hair by covering/keeping my wound dry, under no circumstances DO NOT get the wound wet until you have been to the surgeon. OK. I am Very surprised that you weren't told anything at the hospital or even before you had the operation.

ET, I have dent just behind my ear, it's much smoother than it was few months ago.

Jesus christ (sorry if i offend anyone) ncff07, You should have an information pack when you leave hospital! the pack in your ear should be left in until the surgeon takes it out, it's dipped in antiseptic to ward off infections. I had mine in for 2 weeks! I had help from other people to wash my hair by covering/keeping my wound dry, under no circumstances DO NOT get the wound wet until you have been to the surgeon. OK. I am Very surprised that you weren't told anything at the hospital or even before you had the operation.

ET, I have dent just behind my ear, it's much smoother than it was few months ago.

i got discharge instructions and i reread those to make sure and nothing was mentioned about anything being packed in my ear and only mentioned not to get the incision wet untill the dr said it was ok. the rest was just how to sneeze or blow my nose and how to clean the incision and med instructions. only other thing i got besides that was a packet for the implant itself and a card for it and warrenty information. 2 dr's came in at different times to let me go, the first was the surgeons student or something, he took the bandage off and looked at it and said it looked fine and put a fresh cotton ball in my ear and said to change that twice a day for 4 days and that was it. the surgeon himself came in and looked at the incision and spead some bacitracin on it and said to clean it 3 - 4 times a day and put the ointment back on it and i didnt even need to use a bandage to cover it. thats it. i go back next friday i plan to give him an earful about not being told about it.

i got discharge instructions and i reread those to make sure and nothing was mentioned about anything being packed in my ear and only mentioned not to get the incision wet untill the dr said it was ok. the rest was just how to sneeze or blow my nose and how to clean the incision and med instructions. only other thing i got besides that was a packet for the implant itself and a card for it and warrenty information. 2 dr's came in at different times to let me go, the first was the surgeons student or something, he took the bandage off and looked at it and said it looked fine and put a fresh cotton ball in my ear and said to change that twice a day for 4 days and that was it. the surgeon himself came in and looked at the incision and spead some bacitracin on it and said to clean it 3 - 4 times a day and put the ointment back on it and i didnt even need to use a bandage to cover it. thats it. i go back next friday i plan to give him an earful about not being told about it.

Honestly - different doctors have different ways of treating wounds and stuff. I had a bit of packing in my ear for a week then it was removed. I had to wear my bandage on for a week because I knew that i would be scratching my wound. I did not need to rub any antibacterial stuff because it was bandaged up. (I had stitches, not staples)

Other people did not have a bandage on their wounds, just put antibacterial stuff on. So...I would just try to keep the area clean and put antibacterial stuff on it. If it's covered up too well, it can become moist and infection can start to develop. Instead of waiting until next Friday, call his office ASAP, and say that you were groggy and not fully understanding about post-op care, and have HIM explain to you what to do with the wound.

Heck the site of my implant feels like it was put through meat grinder. lol I hear good so it's fine by me. :)

hi Et. its done they did the surgery monday.... was wondering.. did they pack something in your ear canal and leave? i had someone to call today to find out when i could wash my hair and was told NO. not to get anything wet whatsoever until i seen the surgeon again to take the staples out (15 staples on the outside of my head) and take something they packed in the ear canal out. no one said anything about it at the hospital. any ideas?
As already stated by others, each surgeon seems to do things a bit differently. Heck, even the same surgeon can change the way he does things, as was the case with Hear Again. Some use dissolving stitches, others use stitches that have to be taken out while others use staples or some even tape or skin glue. Getting the site wet varies by method of closure. For me, I had the dissolving stitches and was able to shampoo (very gently) after three days. For some it is a week or so. My instructions mentioned "packing" in the ear, but there was none. It was old info, and the surgeon no longer did that. I was told to use a cotton ball with antibiotic ointment but stopped after the second day as I had an allergic reaction. My surgeon said that was fine as long as I kept the area clean and dried gently after shamooing since I had prescription antibios.
Personally, I think they tend to forget to write things down, thinking it sufficient to just tell us. Hello!! We are severely hearing impaired and usually groggy after surgery. We can't be expected to remember it all. And family isn't always much better. :giggle:

Back