Looking for hoh/deaf friends in Southern California!

SammyV

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm Sam! I've been looking to meet some other hoh/deaf people in my area and haven't had much luck. I've met a few Deaf folks at work and my signing is novice so I'm always way too shy to try and connect with them lol. I'm hard of hearing and still learning ASL, really would love to practice with someone that, like me, is serious about learning and practicing. I've had few friends express interest in learning for me, but they kind of fell off after realizing that ASL is a whole ass language lol.

Anyways, I'd love to meet more hoh/deaf ppl or just ppl who want to learn and respect the Deaf/HoH community!

Hi Sam, I live in San Francisco, and I go to LA often to surf with my deaf friend (he's semi-pro). I asked him about the deaf community in LA, he knew for sure that LA do have a large deaf community, but most of them stay in the groups, for example North Hollywood, Huntington Beach, Riverside, Orange Country, and sometimes it is hard to get together or making friends. My best advice is to look out for deaf night out in LA or Riverside on Facebook group, and deaf expo. We also have the largest deaf event coming up this summer in Las Vegas and Mata Expo in Los Angeles. I'll post the links below;

DeafNation World Expo

MATA expo

Have you participated to any free ASL classes via Zoom through MeetUps?

Hi Authentic,

Thank you so much for your reply! I feel like I need to practice signing with students or other late deafened folks who are still learning before joining groups. I don't want to intrude or anything. I really appreciate your reply and the links, this is all very helpful for me. :)

I have done a zoom meetup and it was terrifying! Everyone was really sweet and welcoming, but I felt confused/lost with so many people signing at once. I guess I'm looking for a one on one friend to practice with? I have some half-deaf friends and my family are all hard of hearing, but they sadly aren't very interested in learning about the Deaf community or ASL. I'll join some of those facebook groups and see if I can find someone who is similar to my signing level. Thank you again for your advice!

Hi Authentic,

Thank you so much for your reply! I feel like I need to practice signing with students or other late deafened folks who are still learning before joining groups. I don't want to intrude or anything. I really appreciate your reply and the links, this is all very helpful for me. :)

I have done a zoom meetup and it was terrifying! Everyone was really sweet and welcoming, but I felt confused/lost with so many people signing at once. I guess I'm looking for a one on one friend to practice with? I have some half-deaf friends and my family are all hard of hearing, but they sadly aren't very interested in learning about the Deaf community or ASL. I'll join some of those facebook groups and see if I can find someone who is similar to my signing level. Thank you again for your advice!
I tried to send you a private message, but I couldn't (maybe you turned it off?) anyways I do private tutor one on one, and we can be friends. Here's my fb page.

Last edited:
I tried to send you a private message, but I couldn't (maybe you turned it off?) anyways I do private tutor one on one, and we can be friends. Here's my fb page. (btw I'll remove the link in less than 24 hours)
I tried to send you a private message, but I couldn't (maybe you turned it off?) anyways I do private tutor one on one, and we can be friends. Here's my fb page. (btw I'll remove the link in less than 24 hours
Hmm. I can't figure out the message thing, but I just added you on facebook! I think tutoring is probably the best way for me to learn.

Hello everyone!

I'm Sam! I've been looking to meet some other hoh/deaf people in my area and haven't had much luck. I've met a few Deaf folks at work and my signing is novice so I'm always way too shy to try and connect with them lol. I'm hard of hearing and still learning ASL, really would love to practice with someone that, like me, is serious about learning and practicing. I've had few friends express interest in learning for me, but they kind of fell off after realizing that ASL is a whole ass language lol.

Anyways, I'd love to meet more hoh/deaf ppl or just ppl who want to learn and respect the Deaf/HoH community!
I don't know where your at but I'm in Fullerton and I know a few deaf people who would love to chat with you sometime if your interested we also teach free asl classes

Back