Looking for Comments, Opinions & Advice on Amplified Telephones From ITAC

Jazzberry

Reaction score
My dad has trouble hearing over the phone. He lives in Illinois and I had learned from this forum that he’s eligible to getting a free telephone from the Illinois Telecommunication Access Corporation (ITAC). (Thanks Jane B.! :) ) The telephone options are listed here:

ITAC - Equipment

My dad is also 90 years old and has a touch of Alzheimer’s. Even before he started experiencing dementia though, he has always been resistant to anything new and also had a difficult personality in some ways.

ETA this sentence -- so I'm not going to suggest that he try Captel or a TTY for this reason.

I’m leaning towards suggesting either the Ameriphone XL50 or the Clarity XL 45 mainly because of those telephones' tone features.

Both telephones have what’s called the “Clarity Power Technology” which means that it has 4 “tone” settings:

1) More amplification for the low pitches than high (reverse ski-slope loss)
2) Flat amplification
3 & 4) More amplification for the high pitches than the low pitches (ski-slope loss) in 2 versions

I doubt my dad has an up to date audiogram*, so I like the fact that there’s a few different settings to choose from.

If anyone has first hand experience with ITAC or any of the telephone models listed, or any opinions, comments or advice, I’d appreciate hearing them. :)

Thanks!

* Note: I realize that not being sure if my dad has an up to date audiogram sounds pretty awful for more than one reason. But I have very little influence with my birth family, including my father, for both emotional and financial reasons. Short of going all legal that‘s not going to change, and I had decided years ago not to take that option. I don‘t usually agree with what others in my family do or think -- but my dad has made it clear that my brother is his favorite and that had a lot to do with my decision.

Last edited:
This is Jane again!

I can't really give you any advise about the phones as what I got through them is a TTY and phone flasher (flashes a lamp when phone rings). That was way back in the early 90's so things may have changed since. As I remember it a new audiogram was not necessary but just a form from them signed by doctor or autlougist (I can't seem to spell tonight and don't have time to look it up).

I am down in the southern part of the state and have had mainly good experiences with my local center. I think there is some stock kept on hand and he could probably get a chance to listen to them before taking any home.

Hi Jane! Glad to hear that you had good experiences with ITAC.

My dad lives in Northern Il and I hope he will have similar experiences. I'm hoping that we will be able to deal with ITAC over the phone and by mail.

My brother and his family are the only ones that still lives in Illinois and I think it would be hard for my brother to take a day off during the week. My dad is no longer capable of handling this on his own.

I know that it would be better for most people to be able to try a few different phones in person but I don't think that is realistic in this situation. And given my dad's personality -- he will probably respond better if he thinks that he just has a new phone that works better instead of being told he has a new phone for people with hearing loss. I guess you could call my dad an audist.

I'll suggest it to them soon. For my dad's sake I hope they will be receptive of the info.

Hi Jane! Glad to hear that you had good experiences with ITAC.

My dad lives in Northern Il and I hope he will have similar experiences. I'm hoping that we will be able to deal with ITAC over the phone and by mail.

My brother and his family are the only ones that still lives in Illinois and I think it would be hard for my brother to take a day off during the week. My dad is no longer capable of handling this on his own.

I know that it would be better for most people to be able to try a few different phones in person but I don't think that is realistic in this situation. And given my dad's personality -- he will probably respond better if he thinks that he just has a new phone that works better instead of being told he has a new phone for people with hearing loss. I guess you could call my dad an audist.

I'll suggest it to them soon. For my dad's sake I hope they will be receptive of the info.

I do too!

What I am somewhat disappointed in is that none of the cell phone companies pay into the Illinois program and thus they offer NO equipment associated with any cell service. Like one thing that I know is on the market is a selection of TTYs by Krown that can be ordered with a connector for your cell phone. Even if it was not standard it would be nice to pay the difference if you wanted it. That allows the use of the larger display but also things like the free long distance that most cell providers offer.

Good Luck
Jane

PS Please keep at least me informed as to how it goes.

I do too!

What I am somewhat disappointed in is that none of the cell phone companies pay into the Illinois program and thus they offer NO equipment associated with any cell service.

Interesting. My guess is that it's the state regulators made the decision, not any of the telephone companies. I would bet that if it were up to the landline telephone companies they would rather not be involved in collecting the fees that support the ITAC service either.

Like one thing that I know is on the market is a selection of TTYs by Krown that can be ordered with a connector for your cell phone. Even if it was not standard it would be nice to pay the difference if you wanted it. That allows the use of the larger display but also things like the free long distance that most cell providers offer.

Good Luck
Jane

PS Please keep at least me informed as to how it goes.

I'll definitely will! :)

Back