Looking for CIC with magnetic wand controller

Alameda

Reaction score
Hello all, new member here:

I have worn a hearing aid for the past 30 years, BTEs until nine years ago when I got a CIC from America Hears. I was very happy with this aid, and I loved being able to switch between programs with the small magnetic wand that I wore on a cord around my neck.

I wear only one aid as I am completely deaf in one ear, born that way, and I now have moderate, fairly flat loss in the other ear.

About six years ago I bought another CIC from AH because I figured that the first one probably wouldn't last much longer. The new one was never satisfactory in spite of much adjusting by the techs at AH, and at home with the provided software. So I just continued to wear the older aid, until it failed two tears ago.

I decided to give AH another chance, because the first aid had been so good, and I got another CIC. This one was better than the second one, but still not very good. Both of the last two aids were ADRO, and the first one was not......no idea what difference this would make.

So now I am looking for something better, a CIC with 3 or 4 programs that can be changed with a small remote, and I have come here to ask if anyone knows of a company that makes one. I would like a higher quality aid, don't need fancy features, just good sound.

Very much appreciate any recommendations.

Aly

Maybe try a more powerful aid, so you wouldn't have to wear a wand around your neck? You might be surprsied.

Hearing aids these days are automatic so you won't have to have a wand round your neck.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I will look into the Phonak aids. I would need a bicross, since my one functioning ear has a moderate loss.

I wore a bicross eyeglass aid for many years back in the 70s and 80s and it worked fine for me. But they were discontinued so I had to get a BTE type of bicross, which I didn't care for at all. Just wore the one side, for a few years, and then switched to a CIC.

I'm thinking now of trying a CIC bicross if I can find one with a small remote.

I'm puzzled about the comment saying today's aids can adjust themselves, and there's no need for different programs. Can anyone explain further on this.

Ala

I will look into the Phonak aids. I would need a bicross, since my one functioning ear has a moderate loss.

I wore a bicross eyeglass aid for many years back in the 70s and 80s and it worked fine for me. But they were discontinued so I had to get a BTE type of bicross, which I didn't care for at all. Just wore the one side, for a few years, and then switched to a CIC.

I'm puzzled about the comment saying today's aids can adjust themselves, and there's no need for different programs. Can anyone explain further on this.

Ala
Wait....bicross? I thought the BAHA was basicly replacing bicross?

Ala

hearing aids can be programmed to automatically change the program, with the aid making the decision. That is how my present aid works and I just just use the button on the aid for the volume control.

Ala

My hearing aids adjust the program's to what situations I'm in and I find I never have to touch my volume control as it automatically adjusts the volume to what situation I'm in.

It's called SoundFlow on Phonak hearing aids

SoundFlow
Enjoy seamless automatic adaptation to all sound environments

Regardless of what you want to listen to the hearing aids will adjust themselves automatically, continuously and seamlessly to provide a unique listening program specifically suited to each situation.

BAHA is for conductive loss. It would not help sensorial loss at all. BAHA bypasses the ear drum and 3 bones, sending the sound straight to the cochlea. If the loss is sensorial, this does no good, as you would still have the same problem.

ETA: Maybe your confusion is assuming she's SSD? Sounds like her "good" ear has a loss, also contraindicating the BAHA.

BAHA is indicated for either single sided deafness (which by definition implies normal hearing in the contralateral ear) or purely conductive hearing loss.

A person with total deafness in one ear and moderate deafness in the other would likely not benefit much from a BAHA.
BiCROS is likely to be much more effective in the OPs case.

Back