Looking for advice as a teacher

Interpretrator

Crime fighter
Premium Member
Reaction score
So as I mentioned in another thread, I will be beginning this year to teach writing classes to deaf students at the community college where I've been an interpreter for several years.

This is kind of an unusual program in that all the classes -- grammar, reading, writing, math, etc. -- are taught in sign for the deaf students. Most of the teachers are deaf but all are proficient in ASL. I'm sure some English sign will be necessary, but I won't be using any SEE. I'll try to keep the English on the blackboard and ASL on my hands as much as possible.

If you were in a program like this, what would you want from your teacher? Are there any "do's" and "don'ts" you can think of? Do you prefer working in groups or do you prefer lecturing by the teacher? (The classes are only an hour long.) Would you like materials that deal with Deaf culture and history to supplement the textbook, or does that not matter to you? What do you think are the elements of a successful deaf classroom headed by a hearing teacher?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

You should talk to my old professor from my community college, she helped me out. She deals with students who have problems with their english.

if you are going to use a blackboard, you should consider an overhead projector. It will be much easier on you and you will be facing your students at all time.

I don't really know what to say for this kind of thing. I've been mainstreamed and the only all-deaf section I ever had were Sociology and Psychology. For Sociology, the teacher was horrible. He was suffering carpal tunnel syndrome and had us watch videotapes of him instead of in class. We had a group presentation and one student had no respect for our presentation. In fact, she gave our group a horrible review and the teacher included that into our grades. So, I lost a lot of points because of that.

As for Psychology, the teacher was good. She was clear about everything and kept it at RIT level, not NTID level. So, students felt that they were at grade level when taking the class.

For English, I had hearing teacher with interpreter and I did fine in both classes. :)

You'll want to include some time in the class to allow them to "free-write" so they can explore the different ways they write. I have been known to write in both ASL and English. There are books out there that can help. One of the better books is from Gallaudet. It's a writer's survial guide - I don't remember the title.
I agree with one of the other post, about using the overhead. Go with the overhead or document camera projector instead so you don't have your back to the class.
Allow others to feel comfortable expressing themselves and remember to provide constructive feedback for the students. Between themselves and between you and them.
Be sure to set your goals and allow freedoom between ASL and English.
Most of all! Good luck!

Do u have a smartboard in the classroom? Those r sooo useful! We use them in classes at my work for teaching. I love them better than the projectors and blackboard due to being more visual. However, if u don't..nightcricket's suggestion about the projector is a good one. :)

does the community college have an English as a Second Language program? You might want to talk to the instructors in the more advanced sections, for hints and help on how to have deaf students master English writing.

does the community college have an English as a Second Language program? You might want to talk to the instructors in the more advanced sections, for hints and help on how to have deaf students master English writing.

Actually, I'm finishing my master's in TESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages, aka teaching ESL), and the curriculum will be developed using theory and practice from TESOL. ASL will be considered the students' first language in the development of the curriculum.

Thanks everyone for your responses. :)

Back