Looking for a place to fit in

Serenitygirl

Reaction score
I am hearing and I have been learning ASL for almost a year. About a year ago I was diagnosed with "nodules on my vocal cords." It causes great pain when I talk, and causes me to lose my voice for extended periods of time. I started learning ASL to communicate with my family and on my job. I want to learn more ASL and more about deaf culture.

Thank you Chris87 and Ryssie for making me feel welcomed! Ryssie, I love your " I'm beautiful in my own way, because God makes no mistakes!" So true!

:welcome: A person in my town where I live, uses sign as she has no voice due to a Tracheotomy that went wrong. She's been using sign for well over 20 years and is very happy.

Hi everyone! NaidaUP thank you for your encouragement! I live in a small rural town and have been trying to meet others who sign. There is one local church that advertises a deaf ministry. They have two deaf members in the congregation, but they have no one to sign. I have been signing the worship songs, but they need someone to sign the sermons. So I asked if we could start some asl classes at the church. Anyone have any other ideas?

Hi everyone! NaidaUP thank you for your encouragement! I live in a small rural town and have been trying to meet others who sign. There is one local church that advertises a deaf ministry. They have two deaf members in the congregation, but they have no one to sign. I have been signing the worship songs, but they need someone to sign the sermons. So I asked if we could start some asl classes at the church. Anyone have any other ideas?

I'm not sure how to really help you but I go to a church with 3 other deaf people, there are a few people of the church, who know sign, who sign for us, including the songs etc. They take it in turns each week.

What I'm trying to say, is maybe put some posters up asking if anyone in your church knows sign and then go from there? Altho you can hear things, having someone sign in front of you will also help you learn.

When I first started going to my church, I was rubbish at signing the songs but I copied the signer and have become better. I still copy when there are new songs, etc as well.

NaidaUp, thank you for your suggestions. One of the deaf church members agreed to teach a weekly class. So I called all my teacher friends, and we advertised in the church bulletin. For our first class 7 people came, and we are expecting another 5 or 6 new people at the next class. I'm excited, but it takes time to learn and practice a new language. I'm hoping to find more people to practice with. Thank you for your encouragement. I will keep practicing! One question I have: how do you learn to sign all of those biblical names? It will take me all day to finger spell them ( if I can spell them at all!)

Back