Looking for a Community

Shailynn3

Reaction score
Hi. I'm shay. I'm 27 and live in tx. A couple of months ago I woke up to not being able to hear out my right ear. As the months went by, my left ear felt like it was starting to muffle. I went to the ENT and they informed me that I am completely deaf in my right ear with severe hearing loss in my left. We tried lots of steroids but it did not help and there is a high chance of me going completely deaf. I don't have insurance so hearing aids and CI are not really an option. He suggested I learn ASL and try to communicate the best I can.

I am still dealing with everything and am looking for a deaf community in Houston where I can meet new people, learn about deaf culture, and practice ASL as much as possible. I am the only deaf/hoh person in my family and they are doing their best. If anyone knows any good hangouts or groups in Houston I would love to know. I also am in the middle of hiring an ASL tutor but it is very expensive.

TIA

isn't there one on here from Houston? Read around Dallas has big school they should be able to help you make conections:ily:

Back