Longtime browser, scheduled for CI impalnt 11/12

JKB315

Reaction score
I think I have been a member almost 3 years lol. First post.

I've been reading the boards soaking up info. I liked the Pre/post CI surgery post. Good info.

I have two friends that have CI implants. After watching their lives improve, I thought I would get it done. I went to get new hearing aids this past June and the guy told me I should consider a CI implant. My two aids are maxed out.

So after battling my insurance company for months, I finally got approved for it. I am a 33 yr old male and lead a pretty active life. I try to lift weights and do some cardio 4 times a week. The surgery is going to drive me nuts because I've never been off my feet that long before.

My job demands that I hear everything since I am in charge of a room full of about 10 people. I am often working with different people giving them instructions and answering their questions. I am often in contact with upper managment over issues in my work area.

I have been growing my hair long so the implant doesn't stick out as much. But after reading the posts, I think I am going to shave it off pre surgery and let it grow back evenly. :)

Oh yay on my bday :lol: good luck and keep us updated on how surgery went and activation too!

Congratulations! Glad you won the battle with the insurance company. Keep us posted...:fingersx:

Congratulations on your insurance approval! :) Keep us updated on how things progress!

Good luck. I understand the problems with insurance. I had to fight my insurance for a year for bilateral cochlear implants. So one year later, I had my surgery and it has been the best decision I have ever made. Enjoy the journey

Short hair

Congrats!

Short hair is the way to go, for sure; dirty long hair is just nasty, and washing your hair is sometimes forbidden for a while.

You may not be off your feet very long! But do take it easy.

Congratulations and I hope you find all the pleasure of hearing that I have since I got my CI.

Good Luck, It will be a breeze!

And oh I am an avid Sailor, racing etc i went back racing on a boat 3 weeks after the op. The first two weeks was absolute banned due to incision healing and keeping dry, I was so desperately bored... made do with visiting friends, playing with my dog, cooking.

I recently picked up a PS3 so I'll probably be playing it a lot to stay busy. lol

Does anyone know if the implant will work under a helmet? I drag race during the summer in my car at the local tracks. I am running in the 12s so I am required to where a helmet. I'll also be doing some four wheeling. I had to take my hearing aids out when doing this due to feedback. I was told the CI doesn't have feedback.

Hear Again stated she has skiing helmet that is appropriate to fit over CI's good. OverthePond states the same as well and has helmet for riding. I don't have CI, but I agree helmuts and HA don't mix well. I do not ATV or Watersports at all with HA. I don't wear HA when skiing, but neither do I wear helmet. :nono: to me.

I recently picked up a PS3 so I'll probably be playing it a lot to stay busy. lol

Does anyone know if the implant will work under a helmet? I drag race during the summer in my car at the local tracks. I am running in the 12s so I am required to where a helmet. I'll also be doing some four wheeling. I had to take my hearing aids out when doing this due to feedback. I was told the CI doesn't have feedback.

Both my Skiing and Riding helmet with CI works fine in fact much better than HA's!! The skiing ones have soft ear flaps which is easier to put on/off and still be able to hear sounds. Riding hat doesn't have ear flaps. I assume that the Drag racing helmets are Full helmet with visor? You may need little bigger than usual to accomodate the CI's comfortably.

Yeah it would be a full helmet. I am not sure if they require full facial but I will be buying one like that. I borrowed my brother's the last time I raced. Can't wait to be able to hear better and enjoy the improved comfort of the CI. :)

As hohDougRN mentioned, I use a ski helmet with my CI. I carved a small portion of the foam insert to accommodate my CI magnet. There's plenty of room for the magnet and I experience absolutely no discomfort while wearing the helmet.

Congrats and good luck with your surgery! Please keep us updated. Talk to your doc about your hair, mine didn't take a single hair from my head! :D

I had my pre op the other day. He said he is only going to take a very small strip of hair out. If so, I am thinking of growing my hair long for a change. I don't know why but I am still a little self conscious of the magnet. I find that weird since this will not stand out as much as too behind the ear aids did with the molds and all. I did order the whole device, magnet wires and processor in black. Just my favorite color. :)

I did my blood work yesterday so I am all set. I need to wait until Tuesday so they give me a time to be there. I'll post up when I feel well enough to post.

i need to weara helmet for some work related stuff mate, i asked them before i got the op to keep the implant low, mine is just behind my ear(2 inches) so it doesnt gte in the way with the helmet, might be something you wnat to ask them about, the tiop of the implant is level with the top of my ear, and works fine with helmet.

good luck mate, it's a breeze, i didnt have any pain or sleeples nights, juts a balance probelm for a few days.

keep us posted

I kept my hair shoulder length thoughout the whole procees 6 months ago. When I had short hair, the wind made too much noise on the HA and CI microphones. JKB make sure you ask the CI company the risks of getting hit on that side of the head where the coil will be. There is some risk of damaging it if hit on that side of the head ( includng the brain lol ).

Which insurance company do you have ? and which CI are you getting ? If you dont mind me asking

Good luck going under the knife in 2 days . Keep us posted and be patient.

From what my surgeon told me, a person would have to be exposed to a pretty hard blow to the head in order to damage the CI.

Despite that, it is always recommended CI users do whatever they can to avoid this kind of thing from happening in the first place.

I have United Health Care and I am getting the most up to date Nucleus model.

Back