Longest time you've gone without sleep

~*Kaelei*~

Reaction score
Just wondering.... What's the longest time you've gone without sleep?

The longest time I've gone without sleep was 48 hours straight, that's right, two days straight without any sleep.

Story: I stayed up all night Wednesday and all night Thursday studying for the exams for end of the year exams at High school. I've been drinking coffee all night long to be able to stay up. I've been so stressed that I couldn't even sleep. I was so tired during the day at school but I've been drinking coffee all day as well, going Starbucks before school, during lunch, after school. But finally after I came home from School on Friday, done with exams. I laid down on my bed and I just passed out, exhausted. I slept 15 hours straight without any dreams. My parents told me that I slept like dead b/c apparently I didn't move a spot while sleeping. :giggle:

So I was just wondering what's the longest time you've gone without sleep?

I don't remember how long I stayed up without having some sleeps. I do know it was over five days without a wink. This has been around twenty years ago when I was still residing in Tennessee. :)

Currently, I don't believe I could go past two days without a wink. :P

Just only for 24 hours, I don't know how you could do 48 hours, cuz I know I couldn't do it. I remembered when I didn't sleep for 24 hours then just after 24 hours later, I fell asleep I was told I snored so loud, louder than my own dad. I was like no way! :lol:

I remember when I last travelled to Australia…. so that alone is a looong trip and since I have NEVER been able to sleep on long flights so that’s already A LOT… plus the first night there I didn’t get any sleep at all because neighbors were having a party!! The music was deafening LOUD… so I came up to a total of 69 hours without sleep :(

That’s like monster-long. I was VERY cranky :giggle:

Jamie

Over 5 hours without sun beam over my body, I'm dead sleep.

Same here - some 48 hours. During my college years, I had forgotten about a presentation assignment, along with two other classmates who were in the same boat. We got together at one classmates place, and went straight to work on our speech. At the time, coffee just wasn't doing it for us, so I remembered using an ephedra stack supplement for working out, it also had some waking properties. Damn were we some maniac zombies on a rush! LOL Surprisingly, we finished and rehearsed with only a few hours to go til the morning light. It went without a hitch, but our "liveliness and eye contact" was terrible, appearing like we just arrived drunk from a bar lounge! To this day, I have never procrastinated since!

The longest period of time I've gone without sleep is 2.5 weeks due to a manic/psychotic episode caused by my bipolar. I was having auditory hallucinations and severe paranoia. I also did not eat during this time and ended up losing 20 pounds as a result. Eventually my sister called 911 to have the police take me to the ER. After being evaluated, it was determined that I was having a severe manic episode, so I was transferred to a different hospital where I was treated with appropriate meds for a little over a month. I now take a very high dose of a prescribed sleep med so this doesn't happen again.

The longest period of time I've gone without sleep is 2.5 weeks due to a manic/psychotic episode caused by my bipolar. I was having auditory hallucinations and severe paranoia. I also did not eat during this time and ended up losing 20 pounds as a result. Eventually my sister called 911 to have the police take me to the ER. After being evaluated, it was determined that I was having a severe manic episode, so I was transferred to a different hospital where I was treated with appropriate meds for a little over a month.

JESUS!!! 2.5 weeks????? :eek3:

JESUS!!! 2.5 weeks????? :eek3:

Yep. I'm not kidding either. When I spoke to the attending psychiatrist and told him when my hallucinations and paranoia began, he was able to calculate how much time I went without sleep. As it turned out, I went without sleep for 1.5 weeks at home and then an additional week when I was in the hospital. The high dose of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics they gave me didn't start to work until the second week I was hospitalized. By 3.5 weeks later, I was fine and sleeping well. Thank goodness I've never had an experience like that since. I have, however, gone 7 days without sleep, but again, that's strictly due to my bipolar and not because of anything else going on in my life. When I don't get any sleep, it's usually because I'm hypomanic (mild mania) or manic (severe mania). Sorry to bring my bipolar into this, but the experience I shared in my last post was really the longest time I've gone without sleep.

Yep. I'm not kidding either. When I spoke to the attending psychiatrist and told him when my hallucinations and paranoia began, he was able to calculate how much time I went without sleep. As it turned out, I went without sleep for 1.5 weeks at home and then an additional week when I was in the hospital. The high dose of mood stabilizers and antipsychotics they gave me didn't start to work until the second week I was hospitalized. By 3.5 weeks later, I was fine and sleeping well. Thank goodness I've never had an experience like that since. I have, however, gone 7 days without sleep, but again, that's strictly due to my bipolar and not because of anything else going on in my life. When I don't get any sleep, it's usually because I'm hypomanic (mild mania) or manic (severe mania). Sorry to bring my bipolar into this, but the experience I shared in my last post was really the longest time I've gone without sleep.

how were you still alive from no sleep for 2.5 weeks and 20lb loss...... LOL! human body is surely resilient after all....

That truly is a lot HA... boy... I'm glad you got everything under control now with the meds an all !!!

<hug> Jamie

how were you still alive from no sleep for 2.5 weeks and 20lb loss...... LOL! human body is surely resilient after all....

I have no idea. :laugh2:

I was drifting in and out of reality with the voices I heard, so I wasn't completely "out of it" until the time I was admitted to the hospital. I was so psychotic by then that it took 3.5 weeks before I was able to have a conversation with anyone. My sister tried fingerspelling into my hand at one point, but I became extremely angry and ran out of the room. Don't ask me why. :laugh2: Strange things can happen when you're sleep deprived. :laugh2:

around 45 hours, not the full two days due to a last minute to study and did the project. :o I didn't do well on both, obvious.

The longest I can stay up is for about 48 hours but then I start getting moody and snappy

Boy that takes me back to my college years. I used to stay up really late a lot during my freshman year and was able to stay up past 24 and 48 hours. The longest I ever got was up to perhaps 55 hours.

Now - I can't do that often as much as I used to do, heh. If I don't have the kids with me; Sure, I'd stay up a bit past 24 hours but as for 48 hours - I can't! :lol:

Yeah, the age thing is getting really mean to us. :P

I think about 36 hours when I was very worried about something, but I made up for it the next night by sleeping very soundly.

Back