Living near the airport

justcurious

Reaction score
This question is for deaf members who has lived or is currently living near the airport. How was your experience living near the airport? Does it bother you?

Um, yeah. Very loud. I live near the airport. I can hear it outside. If you don't wear hearing aids, you can feel vibration. If you are very close to the airport, you can feel the place vibrate- hearing aids or not.

Can't wait to move away from the airport in a few months!

Years ago in San jose they bought back the houses from the people who lived across the street from the airport for a number of blocks back(I can't remember how far back they went), then they paid for double insulated windows to be put in the houses that remained. They also put up a sound wall as well as blast walls at the end of the runways to divert the sound away from the remaining homes. When this work was being done one airport official got into hot water when he said they should just sell the houses to deaf people and forget about knocking the houses down, since it would save them a lot of money and give people who don't care how loud something is a place to live! I can't remember if he was given a new job or not! I live 10 miles away and the FAA recently change the flight paths and we now have planes flying lower and over our house and some sound like they are going to land a couple of blocks away. Rule no. 1- airports are noisy. Rule no. 2- you don't want to live near one if you have any hearing left and finally Rule no. 3- Re read rule no. 1.

Thats why houses near airport are usually cheap.

Yes, same with near or on landfill and superfund sites (due to dangerous chemicals under the soil that cause health issues).

Don't forget to include Air Force bases too and their fly range - they are too loud.

Yes, same with near or on landfill and superfund sites (due to dangerous chemicals under the soil that cause health issues).

Don't forget to include Air Force bases too and their fly range - they are too loud.
And Naval Air Stations. We lived in base housing on NAS Pensacola, home of the Blue Angels. Our townhouse was right below their flight path for practicing their air show routines, low-flying routines and all.

Don't forget transport helicopters or double helicopters. Whatever it is. Too many names for that. And that weird Osprey. lol. I grew up near Camp Pendleton. I used to hear them from my house. I'd rather to hear airplane noise than helicopter noise.

While we are on rental house hunting, I hope to move away from the airport, but my hubby likes the place he found is near Lackland Air Force base. *hits head against the wall*

And Naval Air Stations. We lived in base housing on NAS Pensacola, home of the Blue Angels. Our townhouse was right below their flight path for practicing their air show routines, low-flying routines and all.

I got it now, I didn't think if US Navy use air at first place.

Interesting, about few years ago, my parents want move to Pensacola due to VA hospital but I told them that VA hospital isn't great.

FYI- my mother grew up near LAX. She misses the sounds. When she moved to a town in the middle of the nowhere. She had to play it in the house, so it can help her sleep. She had learned to get used to quiet sounds over the time. Her hearing is fine.

I live under a flight path and it doesn't bother me. In fact, we missed the air traffic during a recent trial redirection, glad to have them back. Things that are more annoying than the planes:
Neighbours smoking
Neighbours' kids
Police helicopter
Fog horn
The buses that turn around near our house and squeak with a high pitch noise I can hear, then flap their doors open.

To an extent, you get used to things. My parents can sleep through their fog horn, I find it vibrates my bed. They don't mind one bit that a sea rescue helicopter lands right by their house and major shipping goes past the window and a light house comes through the bedroom. I'd go nuts! But then they complain about our planes and don't notice the buses. Horses for courses, really. Also, my mum's hearing is ski slope, mine is cookie bite, so that makes a big difference to which noises are bad, I can't hear middle pitches at all, but when she goes in the kitchen to chuck plates about it goes right through me!

Back