Little House on the Prairie

Mimsy

Reaction score
I've started watching this show which is old from the 1980's and in re-reuns, but I really like it. It's about pioneers who settled in a tiny town called Walnut Grove in Minnesota. One thing that bothers me is the women wearing skirts and petticoats under their dresses when it's so hot out! Why why why?? Anyway, it's a very sweet show. Have you seen it?

Oh yeah....Michael Landon was one of my favorite actors...he's deceased now.....as for the Petticoats under their dresses, not really sure, but it's pretty....back in the old days, women wore a lot of them, flaring their dress out and making them look sort of like a ballerina....Reminds me of a Crinloin (red one w/bells) that I wore a lot....was popular at Xmas time with the bells jingling whenever you walked....

My little sister would drop what she was doing, and make a mad dash straight for the tv when that show would start.

Yeah, I think I saw every episode growing up. At least twice.

I've started watching this show which is old from the 1980's and in re-reuns, but I really like it. It's about pioneers who settled in a tiny town called Walnut Grove in Minnesota. One thing that bothers me is the women wearing skirts and petticoats under their dresses when it's so hot out! Why why why?? Anyway, it's a very sweet show. Have you seen it?

My favorite show as a child, with Michael Landon, also from Bonanza. That's how girls were dressed in those days - pants weren't allowed for girls/women. I think I probably saw every episode - that's what TV was like back in the days when there really were family shows. No more....

Laura

As for why they're wearing skirts when it's hot out look at the middle-eastern as well as south american culture. It's counter intuitive but they wear clothing that covers their body to protect the body from the sunshine. If you don't believe me, see how it feels when you're outside all day in a swimsuit versus wearing full clothing.

My favorite show as a child, with Michael Landon, also from Bonanza. That's how girls were dressed in those days - pants weren't allowed for girls/women. I think I probably saw every episode - that's what TV was like back in the days when there really were family shows. No more....

Laura

i agree there, now its all about sex and more sex and approval, nothing on 'insight, lift and growing up, NOTHING AT ALL"
everything on TV gone to shit.

Oh and the show was from the 70's not from 80's , way WAY back but i think it continued thru to the early 80's i'm not sure...

when i was a boy i had a crush on "Laura" she was sweet sweet girl...(and was older than me, seems i liked older girls back then :giggle:)
G

My family watched it every week. The show was in the 70's though...may have rolled over into thr 80's for a year or 2. The series was actually based on books by Laure Ingalls Wilder.

My little sister would drop what she was doing, and make a mad dash straight for the tv when that show would start.

Yeah, I think I saw every episode growing up. At least twice.

Lol. Mine too.

I watched every episode and read all the books. It is on here all the time, especially on the wekends on the Hallmark channel. Some episodes sure are tear jerkers.

If anybody was in the way, they got knocked down or climbed over (or both)

I was this way for The Donnie and Marie Show, The Barbara Mandrell Show, The Bionic Woman, The Facts of Live, Grizzly Adams and The Wonderful World of Disney....God there were so many good shows on - even Get Smart and The Mary Tyler Moore Show in repeats were a blast...:D

Laura

i agree there, now its all about sex and more sex and approval, nothing on 'insight, lift and growing up, NOTHING AT ALL"
everything on TV gone to shit.

Oh and the show was from the 70's not from 80's , way WAY back but i think it continued thru to the early 80's i'm not sure...

when i was a boy i had a crush on "Laura" she was sweet sweet girl...(and was older than me, seems i liked older girls back then :giggle:)
G

I would have thought "Mary" would have done it for all the boys at that time. Melissa Sue Anderson grew up to be quite a stunner too...speaking of which, Jacklyn Smith looks as wonderful as ever... and I still wish I looked like her. No remake can beat the original Charlie's Angels.

I was this way for The Donnie and Marie Show, The Barbara Mandrell Show, The Bionic Woman, The Facts of Live, Grizzly Adams and The Wonderful World of Disney....God there were so many good shows on - even Get Smart and The Mary Tyler Moore Show in repeats were a blast...:D

Laura

I reacted that way for "Mork and Mindy". I think one episode actually put me in a crying panic fit. It was the one where Mork kept getting tinier and tinier. Then, he disappeared into the tablecloth he had been standing on. Seeing Mindy freak out is what did me in. The "to be continued" had me in a restless fit the entire week ... "Poor Mork! I hope he is ok!"
:giggle:

Hehe, haven't heard that TV show for ages. One of deaf actor that appeared few eposides (Johnny Kovacs) was my elementary school friend and I haven't seen him since we were in Junior high school. I wondered what's he up to today...

It was actually mid 70's to early 80's. I watched it a few times, but I was more into The Walton's or All in the Family, The Jeffersons and MASH. Believe it or not, those shows had big connections to what was happening in America at the time.

I used to watch Chico and the Man and was pretty sad when Freddie Prinze died. I'm really glad his son is doing well and has had a good career.

Recently, Ron Palillo of Welcome Back Kotter passed away.

Today, there are good shows and good writers, but it's not the same. For some reason, we are hooked on CSI as if writers can't come up with anything else. I'm really surprised it has lasted this long.

I will say the Cosby show was a really well made and great show.

I reacted that way for "Mork and Mindy". I think one episode actually put me in a crying panic fit. It was the one where Mork kept getting tinier and tinier. Then, he disappeared into the tablecloth he had been standing on. Seeing Mindy freak out is what did me in. The "to be continued" had me in a restless fit the entire week ... "Poor Mork! I hope he is ok!"
:giggle:

God, I remember that show...Pam Dauber too - she married Mark Harmon and they've been together forever. Probably one of the few normal couples in Hollywood.

Mork and Mindy was great. Happy Days too (Which is how Mork got started) Watched Laverne and Shirley some. Never saw The Walton's. Loved All in the Family, The Jefferson's And Good Times. Also Emergency! and Adam-12.

I dreamt about the final episode of ALF last night where he gets captured by the military as his friends arrived to pick him up.

:shock:

God, I remember that show...Pam Dauber too - she married Mark Harmon and they've been together forever. Probably one of the few normal couples in Hollywood.

glad to hear that, a bloody miracle in hollywood, and Pam Dawber was one of the most gorgeous actress at the time (i too had a crush on her lol)...
no just the way she looked, but acted out as a really nice girl that id want to know..kind of way...

im a grown man now and still no one yet like "Mindy"....any Mindy's around? friad probably not....

We watched Little House as a family. Think it came on near the same time as Osmonds show for a while. I think I was raised by a TV. Mash and all those shows. Incredible Hulk was good, too. Michael Landon and Bill Bixby both had some good role model type shows.

Back